PDA

View Full Version : Identify the 1880's camera that used this lensboard

Sirplus
30-Nov-2015, 19:17

As I am rebuilding an 1880's Ross of London, Tailboard camera,(most likely built by Meagher), I remembered a photo album I have of a voyage onboard HMS Wild Swan 1885 to 1887.
It show's what I believe is the lens board off the camera that was used on the trip. I have been looking at many vintage mahogany cameras and non quite match.
It would be quite novel to know the exact camera that was used at sea.

Cheers

Ron

Steven Tribe
1-Dec-2015, 01:55
It is a typical sector shutter for that period, which looks as if it needs a service. Earlyphotography.co.uk now has a section on shutters. I'll have a look.

Sirplus
7-Dec-2015, 00:38
Thanks, that makes sense since the camera still took the picture with the broken shutter removed, hence a bit of motion blur that no other shot has. What type of camera did the Royal Navy use before 1886? I’ve been searching for a while but haven’t found an example that incorporated that type of shutter. It looks like it could fit on typical British tailboard camera.

Ron

Steven Tribe
7-Dec-2015, 01:42
I somehow doubt that the RN issued a standard photographic equipment set to establishments as early as the 1880's. The only organisation I know that did this so early was the Prison service for mug shots. The RAF had a standard set available for military airfields during WW2.

I am not very strong on this type of camera and early shutter, but it certainly doesn't look like a typical tailboard camera from this period. Note that the hole for the lens is not central in what must be a substantial front section of the camera- rather than a traditional lens board. Sector shutters were high tech and more likely to be on an "advanced" box type camera from someone like Marion of Soho. These are typically designed around a specific lens and focal length.

Sirplus
8-Dec-2015, 08:13

Here is a close up camera piece, not clear enough to read the name plate. I also see a plate holder in the original photo, it looks like it would be a half-plate camera.

Ron

Steven Tribe
8-Dec-2015, 09:06
There is also a photographic case of some kind behind/under her (the figure to the left) right arm. Looks very much like the boxes which held the complete set of a camera and plate holders.

Sirplus
8-Dec-2015, 19:41

Good eye, how did I miss that? Here are all the camera items together including the plate holder. Am I missing anything else?

Cheers

Ron

Sirplus
8-Dec-2015, 20:00

Here is the complete photo. It was taken onboard the HMS Wild Swan in 1887, half way into her trip to Victoria ( Esquimalt Naval base) B.C. Canada.
Could that be a lens resting on the plate holder?