PDA

View Full Version : Tecnhika-type lensboard observations

baro-nite
30-Nov-2015, 08:33
Just some observations about compatibility of Technika-type boards on a couple of couple of cameras. Perhaps this will be useful to others. Further info and observations welcome, of course.

Thanks to the For Sale forum here, this year I've acquired an Arca-Swiss F-line 4x5 (171mm frames), an Arca-Swiss 171 to Technika adapter, and a Shen Hao TFC 617-A. And, from here and elsewhere, various lensboards. I quickly learned that not all Technika-type boards are alike: the first ones I bought (a Wista and a couple of generics) would not fit the Arca-Swiss adapater. After chatting with the fellow who sold me the adapter, I then tried Toyo and genuine Linhof boards, both of which fit well.

The 6x17 came with a Wista board and two Shen Hao boards. Of course the latter fit well. The Wista is a no-go, however, so I'll be selling that one. My Toyo boards are a good fit. What surprised me is that the Linhof board I have doesn't fit well in the Shen Hao. It goes, but is too snug. Second surprise is that the Shen Hao boards aren't a good fit with the Arca-Swiss adapter. Again, they fit, but barely, leaving me in doubt about whether the board is securely latched in place (the adapter has a spring-loaded latch).

That leaves me with one choice: Toyo. I've ordered another Toyo board and will put all my lenses on those. Fortunately these are readily available.

Bill_1856
30-Nov-2015, 08:44
A factor for me is that many of the generic boards are slightly thinner than the real Linhof boards, allowing the lens to shake a little. Not a problem with a Technika, as they are held tightly by spring action, but others such as Nagaoka need the extra thickness to seat properly.