PDA

View Full Version : What to do with a 260mm f/10 Nikkor=Q lens

Greg
30-Nov-2015, 06:39
Many years ago bought a 260mm f/10 Nikkor=Q lens. Lens is engraved: Nikkor-Q 1:10 f=260mm.
f/10 to f/32 4/4 double Gauss f/10-68 degrees, f/22-74 degrees. Lens only stops down to f/32. Rear element sticks out way past the lens, fortunately have the extended rear lens cap. Have the retaining/mounting ring that is located in the middle of the lens.

From what I have found out:
Lens is actually 267mm in focal length
S K Grimes lists mounting it in a Copal #3 but with the following "Expensive – Risk lies in cutting lens out of mounting bracket"
Front & back elements honestly look like they should cover 105 degrees or more
Presently the lens only stops only down to f/32. Would really like it to stop down to at least f/64
Hand written note found with the lens: "covers 11x14" but unfortunately no source of this info noted.

Testing the optic on my 11x14 will take a lot jury rigging for sure.

Ideally would love to use this lens on my 11x14. Even have a Copal #3 shutter to potentially mount the optic in but not sure if this is feasible... remember one time reading that one of two versions of this optic not being able to be mounted in a Copal #3.

Does anyone have any experience with this lens?

thanks

Michael E
30-Nov-2015, 09:07
Presently the lens only stops only down to f/32. Would really like it to stop down to at least f/64

I just bought a 55cm Steinheil lens that only stops down to f9. I do realize this doesn't help you a bit. Sorry :-)

Dan Fromm
30-Nov-2015, 09:16
Dream on.

I've had one. As you wrote, Nikon claims these lenses (= Process Nikkor) cover 74 degrees at f/22. The 260 (nominal, actual 267) will cover ~ 400 mm. 8x10 yes, 11x14 no. To see what Nikon says about them, read http://www.galerie-photo.com/apo-process-nikkors-en.html

I hung mine in front of a #1 shutter using an expensive adapter from SKGrimes, shot it for test on 2x3. Mediocre at distance, but then it is optimized for 1:4 to 4:1 and Nikon advises against using it outside that range of magnifications. I retired it in favor of a 10.16"/9 Taylor Hobson Copying Lens that absolutely isn't what you want. I later retired the 10.16"/9 in favor of a 250/6.8 Boyer Beryl (Dagor clone).

If I still had mine, had no other lens around that focal length, and just had to use roughly that focal length I'd go shopping for a different lens. I wouldn't pay to have a 260/10 Nikkor-Q/Process Nikkor put in shutter.

Greg
1-Dec-2015, 16:34
Thanks Dan for the info on the lens from someone who has actually used this optic.

Found additional info on the lens at
http://homepage2.nifty.com/akiyanroom/redbook-e/apo/pro260.html

"I wouldn't pay to have a 260/10 Nikkor-Q/Process Nikkor put in shutter.", I totally agree. Besides I already have and use another 250mm lens in a shutter.

Greg

Jim Galli
2-Dec-2015, 17:05
In my long years of playing with this stuff, can't put my finger on it, but the big wide double gauss lenses always disappoint me. I've not kept any, including the 250 Ektars. Have had the giant impressive looking 270mm Wide Angle G-Claron's that seem to cover less than their plasmat counterparts. I guess they served their purpose in small graphic shops that needed bigger output in a smaller space, but for general photography, there's better solutions these days.

Dan Fromm
2-Dec-2015, 17:46
Jim, I dunno about little WF Ektars, my 80/6.3 (not an LF lens) is a gem on 2x3, even on 6x12. But I've read discouraging words about f/11 Wide Angle G-Clarons, am glad to have news about them at first hand.

Cheers,

Dan

Sirius Glass
2-Dec-2015, 21:25
Obviously just junk optics. Send it to me and I will dispose to for you at no charge on one time basis. Will PM my address.