PDA

View Full Version : what has priority m or x on a mxv shutter used in self timer mode?

tonyowen
29-Nov-2015, 12:44
My f4.7 135mm xenar lens has a mxv selection switch.
No query about the function as I've encountered them before.

Query is:-
assuming v (self timer) is set and a flash is attached to the camera/lens.
what 'flash mode' operates (m for bulbs or x for electronic)????

Supplementary question:- I understood that focal plane cameras (ie Leica) require a shutter speed of circa 1/90s when used with an electronic flash. But with a leaf shutte, the speed setting, within reason, is irrelevant.

Please clarify.

regards

Tony

Bob Salomon
29-Nov-2015, 13:07
Do you have an electronic flash? If so point your camera at a plain wall, set any desired short shutter speed. Plug the flash into the PC socket on the lens. Point the flash to the same wall. Set the shutter on V and trip it while looking through the gg. Did you see a clear circle of light when it tripped? If so it fired the flash on X. If not then it was on M.

tonyowen
29-Nov-2015, 13:34
Do you have an electronic flash? If so point your camera at a plain wall, set any desired short shutter speed. Plug the flash into the PC socket on the lens. Point the flash to the same wall. Set the shutter on V and trip it while looking through the gg. Did you see a clear circle of light when it tripped? If so it fired the flash on X. If not then it was on M.

Bob,
Yes I have electronic flash - tried what you suggested, but did not see 'the clear circle of light' - maybe at my age my eyes and brain do not react fast enough to recognize a shape at a short durations.

What I did see (through the gg) at shutter speed settings of 1/60s, 1/125s, 1/250s and 1/500s was the flash firing.
Hopefully that indicates X.

regards and thanks
Tony

Bob Salomon
29-Nov-2015, 13:44
Bob,
Yes I have electronic flash - tried what you suggested, but did not see 'the clear circle of light' - maybe at my age my eyes and brain do not react fast enough to recognize a shape at a short durations.

What I did see (through the gg) at shutter speed settings of 1/60s, 1/125s, 1/250s and 1/500s was the flash firing.
Hopefully that indicates X.

regards and thanks
Tony

That is X

Jerry Bodine
29-Nov-2015, 14:16
...Supplementary question:- I understood that focal plane cameras (ie Leica) require a shutter speed of circa 1/90s when used with an electronic flash.

FWIW, my Leica M3s were limited to 1/60s for electronic flash. Any speeds faster than that would produce progressively more cutoff of the frame. Don't know if that limit was changed for other models.

tonyowen
29-Nov-2015, 14:49
FWIW, my Leica M3s were limited to 1/60s for electronic flash. Any speeds faster than that would produce progressively more cutoff of the frame. Don't know if that limit was changed for other models.

Don't wish to argue the point but I had two M3's [in the 1970s & 1980s - before going the LInhof, Hassleblad route) and my memory is that an electronic flash at 1/90s was okay - maybe it was/is flash model related - or maybe I did not notice.

regards
Tony

Jerry Bodine
29-Nov-2015, 15:54
Apologies for this tangent in your thread, but I have to correct myself. Out of curiosity, I did some online research on the M3 that refreshed my memory: the M3s from 1954-1966 (like mine) had a red 'lightning' symbol on the shutter dial that indicated 1/50 as the limit of electronic flash sync. I now recall using 1/60 ONCE when it was new to me that resulted in the onset of frame cutoff. So I learned quickly about the meaning of the 'lightning' warning. When I moved onto my Hasselblad 500C, I was delighted by sync all the way to 1/500.

Jac@stafford.net
29-Nov-2015, 16:56
Don't wish to argue the point but I had two M3's [in the 1970s & 1980s - before going the LInhof, Hassleblad route) and my memory is that an electronic flash at 1/90s was okay - maybe it was/is flash model related - or maybe I did not notice.

I never tried that!

There were two different shutter speed dials on the M3. Earlier had 1/50 (with no red mark). The latter's red lighting bolt for flash was between 1/30 and 1/60, and was in fact 1/50.

On topic: if using V on the synchro-compur the flash is X. If you use M bulbs it's okay to go if you use a shutter speed of 1/25 or less.

tonyowen
30-Nov-2015, 09:08
Dear Jerry and Jac
I'm confused - as my granddaughters often complain.
The two cameras I had were M4 Leicas (not M3). However, you're both right - the electronic setting was/is 1/50s.
No excuse, I should check my facts
regards
Tony