PDA

View Full Version : KEH has been picked over?

Will Frostmill
29-Nov-2015, 06:28
Has anyone noticed that KEH's inventory seems pretty thoroughly picked over? Back in September, I was short on cash, but had noticed any number of neat things for sale. Yesterday I was not so short on cash, and it's like a desert in there.

Is this just seasonality? People turn their gear into cash in September, and spend it all shortly before Black Friday? Does this match with your experiences there, or with other stores?

Fred L
29-Nov-2015, 06:30
absolutley. very little in the panoramic range, used to be a decent selection of lenses but not anymore. they've been having lots of sales so maybe they're trying to move old inventory as well ?

it's definitely a different place now

HMG
29-Nov-2015, 06:50
FWIW, they just had a Thanksgiving / Black Friday sale with 50% off accessories, 30% off lenses, and 20% off cameras. Plus free shipping. So, if you looked very recently, that might be a factor.

Will Frostmill
29-Nov-2015, 07:15
FWIW, they just had a Thanksgiving / Black Friday sale with 50% off accessories, 30% off lenses, and 20% off cameras. Plus free shipping. So, if you looked very recently, that might be a factor.
Got it. I'll have to budget better for next year :)

Simon Benton
29-Nov-2015, 08:12
The sale they had on Friday was amazing with big discounts and free shipping to Canada. I got some items I had been after at ridiculous prices but the inventory went very quickly.

pdh
29-Nov-2015, 08:22
Back in September, I was short on cash, but had noticed any number of neat things for sale. Yesterday I was not so short on cash, and it's like a desert in there.

It is a matter of Sod's Law I expect ... once-in-a-blue-moon bargains turn up only when the bank balance is tending towards red, while the rest of the time nobody sells anything you would ever want to buy.

dentkimterry
29-Nov-2015, 09:25
I got a Linhof viewfinder 50% off and a Nikon view camera lens 30% off this weekend. Couldn't resist! But it is slim pickings at KEH right now.

Jac@stafford.net
29-Nov-2015, 09:42
OTOH, their 50mm lenses for SLRs are cheaper than Legos. You could build a wall with them.

neil poulsen
29-Nov-2015, 10:59

I missed this one, not that I had the mula at this time to participate.

They had one of these last Christmas, and I picked up a couple of things that I'd been eyeing. (Only for accessories, not lenses.) Not too long after, they did a road trip that included Portland to pick up more gear.

Still, I've noticed over the past year or so, that they're not the bountiful resource they've been in the past.

Tin Can
29-Nov-2015, 11:14
Seems LF and really cheap MF film cameras and accessories are being phased out.

Big changes at KEH compared to a few years ago.

I think some older guys were 'retired', as the seller/writer knowledge base has diminished.

Bargains do appear and never hesitate, as they stand behind everything.

ImSoNegative
29-Nov-2015, 16:00
I have noticed that there LF lens selection hasn't been all that great for a while, I have always enjoyed KEH because they are only about an hour and a half away and shipping is always next day

Sirius Glass
29-Nov-2015, 16:32
As my budget gets more flexible, I paid off both my children's loans, the more sparse the desired inventory appears. Of course there are fewer and fewer lenses that I would like to buy as I add to my assortment.

Greg
29-Nov-2015, 17:28
As a side note, I would 100% recommend their repair services. They offer very reasonable flat rates. Sent in a Sinar Copal shutter and got it back in 1-2 weeks, once again working fine and now with their 6 month warrantee. By the way, I use the Sinar shutter on my Chamonix. None of the lenses that I have are mounted on DB boards so can't be mounted on the front of the shutter because of the 2 pins sticking out. Solution was to make a simple adapter that enabled me to mount the Sinar shutter onto the front standard in reverse position... 2 pins on the inside of the camera and normal non-DB Sinar boards now work fine.

Greg

ImSoNegative
29-Nov-2015, 17:57
As a side note, I would 100% recommend their repair services. They offer very reasonable flat rates. Sent in a Sinar Copal shutter and got it back in 1-2 weeks, once again working fine and now with their 6 month warrantee. By the way, I use the Sinar shutter on my Chamonix. None of the lenses that I have are mounted on DB boards so can't be mounted on the front of the shutter because of the 2 pins sticking out. Solution was to make a simple adapter that enabled me to mount the Sinar shutter onto the front standard in reverse position... 2 pins on the inside of the camera and normal non-DB Sinar boards now work fine.

Greg

would have to agree on there repair service I have had a couple of things repaired by them, afterwards worked perfectly and very reasonable rates

dsphotog
29-Nov-2015, 18:26
When I go to the camera shows, the KEH buyer is very busy & buying like crazy!

Ben Syverson
29-Nov-2015, 19:13
Keep in mind, they save some things for their eBay store... to get the fullest picture, check out their eBay selection as well as keh.com!

Fred L
29-Nov-2015, 19:33
When I go to the camera shows, the KEH buyer is very busy & buying like crazy!

I haven't seen the buyer up in Canada at the last bunch of camera shows I've been to.

Sirius Glass
29-Nov-2015, 21:09
Recently my credit card has been picked over by KEH.

Oren Grad
30-Nov-2015, 08:41
FWIW, they just had a Thanksgiving / Black Friday sale with 50% off accessories, 30% off lenses, and 20% off cameras. Plus free shipping.

Beware: they've gotten into the habit of jacking up prices on many items just before their big sales, so the actual savings aren't always what the headlines would imply. Some items still end up being good or even very good deals, but you can't assume anything just because of the headline discount - you need to go in with a good sense of current market on your items of interest in order to know which ones really are good values.

DrTang
30-Nov-2015, 10:13
because of the 2 pins sticking out.

Greg

I snapped those pins off with a pair of needlenose pliers on mine..I was never gonna use the aperture deal anyway

Sirius Glass
30-Nov-2015, 17:01
Beware: they've gotten into the habit of jacking up prices on many items just before their big sales, so the actual savings aren't always what the headlines would imply. Some items still end up being good or even very good deals, but you can't assume anything just because of the headline discount - you need to go in with a good sense of current market on your items of interest in order to know which ones really are good values.

Oh, gee I guess that I why I had to pay $420 for a Hasselblad f/8 500mm lens in EX condition. If they had not jacked up the price I might have had to pay $1800 to $2500. You should have warned me sooner!

ImSoNegative
30-Nov-2015, 21:47
I got on there site this morning, only one page of LF lenses, also I wanted to look at a rollei TLR, not one

Kevin Crisp
1-Dec-2015, 08:50
I've had at least 10 recent emails from KEH indicating they (it?) is in southern California on a BUYING spree. So KEH is trying to stock up.

I've never dealt with them until about 3 months ago. Bought two lenses both of which were much better than described.

Sirius Glass
1-Dec-2015, 09:50
I've had at least 10 recent emails from KEH indicating they (it?) is in southern California on a BUYING spree. So KEH is trying to stock up.

I've never dealt with them until about 3 months ago. Bought two lenses both of which were much better than described.

KEH is popping up all over southern California buy equipment. I too have been getting several emails a day from them. I just keep sending them money to help them.

Kevin Crisp
1-Dec-2015, 10:30
This is just a reminder that KEH Camera will be in Studio City, CA for a One-Day buying event at Harry's Camera and Video. This is a great opportunity to turn your clean, used camera gear into cash!

Our buyers will make you an on-the-spot
offer for your photography equipment.

Receive a 10% Trade-In Bonus towards
your purchase.

Don't forget to bring a charged battery and

charger with digital cameras.

Do you know someone with a large collection of cameras or an estate? There's no need to haul it out to us. We'll gladly come over to make a house call. Contact John for more information and to schedule an appointment.

We look forward to seeing you there!

KEH Camera

ImSoNegative
1-Dec-2015, 16:55
I have been dealing with them for years and I must say this is probably the lowest I have ever saw there inventory