PDA

View Full Version : DIY Print Frame

Tim Meisburger
28-Nov-2015, 17:55
For contact prints I have so far used just a sheet of glass on a board, but I felt needed a proper print frame for some cyanotype I was printing, so decided to make one. I didn’t have one to copy (I’ve never seen one) and couldn’t find any information on the web about making the simple traditional style frame seen in ebay auctions, so decided to document my experience in case that would be useful for anyone else.

I just shot digital snaps as I was working and compiled those in a PowerPoint which I then converted to video with narration. Its available on YouTube and is about 8 minutes long. Anyone with a table saw or a little woodworking skill ought to be able to make one in a couple hours. I used cheap materials and simple joints, but you could jazz one up with walnut or cherry if you were so inclined.

Here is the link. I hope you find this useful: https://youtu.be/Vj2PgRVMahI

seabee1999
1-Dec-2015, 17:26
Thanks for sharing Tim. Your frame is a much better design than the one I had made.

Steven Tribe
3-Dec-2015, 06:43
OK, Tim. you needed some images of larger print frames from a bygone era.

Here is a 24x30cm frame from the wet era, made of some sort of fruit tree with plenty of woodworm holes.
I am sure your design works well, but I can see some advantages with this alternative.
All three section clamp sections swing out away from the back opening which makes for easier/quicker use. The spring is other way around which means there are two pressure points on the split back plate which increases stability. One of the ends of all the three bars has a hole which fits onto a metal rod which is countersunk along the long side of the frame.

Tim Meisburger
3-Dec-2015, 07:47
Cool design, and also easy to build. I think the old technology is often more simple and elegant than modern solutions (but as a view camera user I would, wouldn't I).