PDA

View Full Version : Linhof Kardan Color 45S and wide lenses

ottluuk
27-Nov-2015, 14:37
Hello,

Long story short, I've been playing around with my first view camera for a while and now I'm trying to figure out what would be sensible to add. The camera in question is a Linhof Kardan Color 45 S (identical standards, full back movements, one piece rail – not the "Technika on a rail" version). So far I only have a 210mm G-Claron for it. I'm looking to add a wider lens and have some questions:

1) The original bellows gets very stiff when compressed to about the length needed to focus a 90mm lens to infinity. Apart from getting a bag bellows, is there an intermediate/universal option - possibly a shorter bellows with larger pleats/suppler material?

2) Recessed lens board options – I have an original (flat) Kardan to Technika board adapter. Can I expect that Linhof-made recessed Technika boards will fit into this adapter? Would there be a good reason to prefer a full size recessed Kardan board? Or a recessed adapter and flat Technika board?

3) The rail clamp prevents the standards from being moved very close to each other so I'd likely have to move both standards in front of the clamp for wide angle use which sounds a bit tedious. It seems that a 90 on a recessed board might work without this – can anyone confirm this (if so, which lens and board)?

thanks

Ott Luuk

Bob Salomon
27-Nov-2015, 15:07
Yes, the current Linhof Kardan accessories that mount directly to the standards as well as Len boards, ground glasses, Fresnel, viewing devices all fit your camera. However anything that mounts directly to the monorail has not been available for a few decades. In the case of the 45S that would be the mounting clamp as your camera did not accept extension rails.
You would be able to order the Kardan Bag Bellows from most camera stores.