PDA

View Full Version : Source for 8x10 Velvia

Kerry L. Thalmann
28-Feb-2005, 14:18
Can anyone out there point me to a current source of 8x10 Velvia (RVP50)? I'm getting ready to leave on a trip soon, and have been trying to track down some Velvia in the 8x10 size. I've tried several online dealers. Most don't have any in stock, and a few that claim to have it in stock on their web sites, suddenly seem to be fresh out when I call to place an order.

Specifically, I'd like to find one or preferrably two 50 sheet boxes of 8x10 Velvia RVP50. I have a partial box at home in teh firdge, but it won't be enough to meet my immediate needs. I plan to shoot a lot of 4x10 on this trip. So, I'd like to get the film ASAP to allow enough time to cut it in half before I leave.

My local Fujifilm USA rep is trying to track some down for me, but he can only get 10 sheet boxes, and it might be several days before he can get it to me. If anyone knows of a dealer than has some 8x10 Velvia in stock (preferrably in 50 sheet boxes, but I'd be willing to settle for some 10-sheet boxes at this point), please let me know.

Thanks,
Kerry

Jeffrey Arthur
28-Feb-2005, 14:39
It's experiences like this that convinced me to stick with 4x5 even though I would prefer 8x10. Color film stock seems to be leaving 8x10 in the dust.

Tom Westbrook
28-Feb-2005, 15:26
Do you mean this stuff?

http://www.calumetphoto.com/ctl?PAGE=Controller&ac.ui.pn=cat.CatItemDetail&ac.item.itemNo=FF7064&ac.cat.CatTreeSearch.detail=y&type=SPDSEARCH

Tom Westbrook
28-Feb-2005, 15:37
BTW, I've found Froogle seems to work fairly well for searching for camera goods. It's not exhaustive, but if you're stuck, it's always worth a try. I see there are a couple of suppliers that have better deals than Calumet.

http://www.google.com/froogle?as_q=50+8x10&num=10&scoring=l&btnG=Search+Froogle&as_epq=&as_oq=velvia+RVP&as_eq=&price=between&price1=&price2=&as_occt=any&cat=0&filter=1&tiled=1&safe=off

Kerry L. Thalmann
28-Feb-2005, 15:38
Tom,

Thanks. I found that after I made my post. Unfortunately, Calumet's price is $75 - $100 more per box than everybody else. But, they seem to be the only ones who have it in stock (at those prices, it's no wonder). It's actually cheaper to buy 10 sheet boxes through my local dealer supplied by my local Fuji rep than to buy the equivalent number of 50 sheet boxes from Calumet. If my Fuji rep can't get the 10 sheet boxes soon enough, I may have to bite the bullet and pay Calumet's ridiculous price.

Or, I can just say the heck with it and shoot E100VS instead. At least I know I can get that from any number of stcoking dealers (and yet Kodak is the one who always gets knocked for not supporting the LF comunity - go figure).

Kerry

Kerry L. Thalmann
28-Feb-2005, 15:41
Tom,

I also did a Froogle search after my post and neither East Coast Photo or Camcor have any in stock. It's a special order item from both with long lead times and no guaranteed delivery date.

Kerry

tim atherton
28-Feb-2005, 15:48
have you tried samys to see if they actually have it in stock?

Kerry L. Thalmann
28-Feb-2005, 15:54
have you tried samys to see if they actually have it in stock?

Yep, twice. It's shown as in stock on their web site, but they don't actually have any on hand.

Kerry

Bill_1856
1-Mar-2005, 02:21
I thought that they quit making Velvita 50.

Kerry L. Thalmann
1-Mar-2005, 02:52
I thought that they quit making Velvita 50.

According to the press release (dated 2/8/05) on the Fuji web site Velvia 50 will continue to be available through the end of 2005:

"Availability - The new Fujichrome Velvia 100 is designed to replace the current Velvia 50 product line. Initial shipments of the new Velvia 100 are scheduled for late spring 2005. It is anticipated that Velvia 50 will be available for the balance of 2005. Fujifilm intends to make the transition from Velvia 50 to the new Velvia 100 as smooth as possible for professional photographers by having both Velvia products available simultaneously in 2005 to allow photographers time to test the new product."

Kerry

Jim Becia
1-Mar-2005, 07:34
Kerry,

If I may ask, where are you heading? Jim Becia

Lars Åke Vinberg
1-Mar-2005, 22:35
Perhaps call Samy's in LA?

Capocheny
2-Mar-2005, 02:33
Kerry,

I called a local pro store, Beau Photo, and they told me that they can bring Velvia 50 in pretty quick. If it's in the warehouse in Richmond... then it'll take just a few days. However, if it has to be ordered from Toronto... it'll take approximately 2 weeks.

As for pricing... I believe they said it was about $120 Canadian for 10 sheets. You can call them if you'd like (604.734.7771.) I don't know whether this is a good price or not since I don't shoot 8x10.

Good luck.

Cheers

Kerry L. Thalmann
2-Mar-2005, 10:21
Perhaps call Samy's in LA?

Lars,

I called Samy's three times. In spite of what it says on their web site, they do not have any 8x10 Velvia in stock. They do have some 8x10 Velvia 100F, but it was a special order item and is being held for another customer.

Kerry

Kerry L. Thalmann
2-Mar-2005, 10:27
Henry (and all),

Thanks for the help. My local Fuji rep came though for me. My 8x10 Velvia is on it's way from New Jersey and will be here tomorrow. He was not able to locate any 50 sheet boxes, but he got the equivalent number of 10 sheet boxes for me.

I now have enough to get me through this Spring. I look forward to trying the new Velvia 100, but may get some more 8x10 RVP 50 for the freezer just in case.

Kerry

Kerry L. Thalmann
7-Mar-2005, 11:43
I just wanted to post a follow-up to thank everyone who responded and let you know how it all turned out.

My local Fujifilm rep, Gary Scott, came through. He was able to get me ten 10 sheet boxs of 8x10 Velvia. The film was purchased through and shipped to my local camera store, Pro Photo Supply here in Portland, OR. The price was fair (less than the cost of the equivalent number of 50 sheet boxes from Calumet), and I always prefer to support my local camera store when possible. So, I got my film, Fuji has a happy customer and Pro Photo got a nice sale. Win-win-win.

Kerry