PDA

View Full Version : Grafmatic holder that violates the laws of physics?

StoneNYC
26-Nov-2015, 00:47
So a strange thing just happened to me and I'm really confused and trying to figure it out and could use some advice.

I unloaded one of my 4x5 Grafmatic holders to process some shots, I own 4 Grafmatics and have used them all many times with no issues. (Heard this before?)

The thing is, it unloaded fine, the septum's are fine, unbent, this was the least used of all of them (in terms of how banged up they were before they got to me).

Then, when I went to place the septums back in, they wouldn't fit.

Unfortunately the other three holders are all loaded with them so I can't take one of them apart to compare, but they went in just fine all the other times, this time it's as if there just isn't any more space, it's fractional but it's significant enough to prevent me from fitting the top 3 septums in.

Some pictures. Any explanation would be helpful. I've looked, the inside portion is a solid piece so I don't understand. I've spent the better part of an hour examining and fiddling the film is processed and drying and I still can't figure out what's going on here.

Pictures...

Just doesn't fit..

The top edge

The bottom edge

The bottom "bump" that seems to be "in the way" but obviously is needed to rotate the film.

StoneNYC
26-Nov-2015, 00:48
And the holder... (To show which generation this one is)

dave_whatever
26-Nov-2015, 01:14
The septums go in the other way, i.e. you slide the ends with the cutout into the unit first. That would explain it.

StoneNYC
26-Nov-2015, 01:16
The septums go in the other way, i.e. you slide the ends with the cutout into the unit first. That would explain it.

Well it is 3am and I'm exhausted, wow, I've loaded these probably 100 times...

You're totally correct...

Thanks, what a nincompoop! If we can't laugh at ourselves who can we laugh at.

dave_whatever
26-Nov-2015, 01:19
https://regmedia.co.uk/2013/09/13/picard_facepalm_bright.jpg

StoneNYC
26-Nov-2015, 14:53
https://regmedia.co.uk/2013/09/13/picard_facepalm_bright.jpg

Exactly what I did (and everyone reading) hah!

Sirius Glass
26-Nov-2015, 16:35

Yup, the other way. Bin thar. Dun dat.

Michael Cienfuegos
29-Nov-2015, 08:38

I've done it too. These things happen when you are sleep depraved and running on fumes. Don't ask me how I know. :(

Bill Burk
29-Nov-2015, 09:20
OK I usually put them in the other way too. But when they don't fit...

Look at the bottom of the upper side of the chamber. There is a tab that is used to reveal the red dot when there's 5 septums in the chamber (because - well - the 6th one is up top being exposed).

That little finger only allows 5 septums in the chamber.

When you ratchet the Grafmatic, it normally gets pushed back in to let all 6 fit.

But sometimes when you are loading, that finger manages to get in the way.

Jmarmck
29-Nov-2015, 09:47
Just out of curiosity, what is the likelihood of getting the sheet film caught and creased by the dark slide when closing?
I can see how this contraption would be worth it if only to replace three holders for one grafmatic.
Any issues with the film laying flat?

Tin Can
29-Nov-2015, 11:09
Some have said that Grafmatics hold film flatter and closer to T than most DDS.

Scraping the film with DS has not occurred to me.

I use Grafmatics but prefer standard DDS as for me, they are easier to use when all aspects are considered, such as my fumble fingers.

mdarnton
29-Nov-2015, 12:44
Just out of curiosity, what is the likelihood of getting the sheet film caught and creased by the dark slide when closing?
I can see how this contraption would be worth it if only to replace three holders for one grafmatic.
Any issues with the film laying flat?

I haven't had them stick and crease, but I've had them stick. The basic rule of machines is that if something doesn't work, don't push harder---instead, figure out what's gone wrong. The usual cause of Grafmatics jamming is that the leaf springs under the overhang on either side when the holder is fully open fail to push the used septum to the back. The cure is to retension these springs, so that they push the septum all the way to the back, out of the way.

Fred L
29-Nov-2015, 14:45

didja get the t-shirt too ? I have a great collection from personal past for fails lol

unixrevolution
8-Dec-2015, 04:32
Don't feel bad. You couldn't have done anything sillier than what I did when I got my first LF camera:

http://www.largeformatphotography.info/forum/showthread.php?75865-Film-Holders-not-secure-should-I-worry

StoneNYC
8-Dec-2015, 08:05
Don't feel bad. You couldn't have done anything sillier than what I did when I got my first LF camera:

http://www.largeformatphotography.info/forum/showthread.php?75865-Film-Holders-not-secure-should-I-worry

OK I'll admit that's pretty bad and I totally did a "face palm" and laughed, but I've also been doing this quite a while, and should know better. Thanks for cheering me up.

Michael Rosenberg
9-Dec-2015, 15:52
If the Graphmatic is sticking when ratcheting it is easy to fix. Take the shell apart and clean with a good automotive paint cleaner using a lint free cloth or PEC pad. Then use a high quality car wax to was the edges and contact points. It will work as good as new.

Mike