PDA

View Full Version : What's a good lens for an 8.5 x 15 Vageeswari

Karasugoi
23-Nov-2015, 15:32
I Googled this a few days ago and saw a thread here, but now can't seem to find it...

I have an 8.5 x 15 Vageeswari camera with no lens. Seeing as it's an unusual camera format I was wondering if anyone had recommendations as to what kind of lens would fit the plate size and not cost too much. I'm down for creative answers for a cheap lens, something different is ok. And, if you want to throw in what you think would be best, like a fancy 10x12 Petzval lens, I would love to know, but I'm really looking for something low cost.

And since I'm here, what's the technical term for the surface area the rear image a lens covers on the plate? (It's on the tip of my tongue.)

Thanks!

Lachlan 717
23-Nov-2015, 16:46
Do you want wide, standard or long fl?

Karasugoi
23-Nov-2015, 16:56
Do you want wide, standard or long fl?

Awe, do I have to limit myself? :)

If I have to, I'll stick with wide or standard to maximise the wider format of the camera. Though, I really don't have a preference.

Ari
23-Nov-2015, 17:48
The diagonal of the format indicates a normal lens for your camera would be about 450mm; on this chart, the 450-480 lenses are near the bottom: http://www.largeformatphotography.info/lenses/LF4x5in.html
The Nikkor-M 450 is sometimes available for reasonable prices, but, usually, bigger coverage means bigger spending.
A cheap route might be to find a Gundlach (or similar) convertible for 8x10/11x14 and use only one of the elements; that might get you enough coverage.

Lachlan 717
24-Nov-2015, 04:32
Do a search for 7x17" lenses. There will be quite a few options.

Karasugoi
24-Nov-2015, 06:42
The diagonal of the format indicates a normal lens for your camera would be about 450mm; on this chart, the 450-480 lenses are near the bottom: http://www.largeformatphotography.info/lenses/LF4x5in.html
The Nikkor-M 450 is sometimes available for reasonable prices, but, usually, bigger coverage means bigger spending.
A cheap route might be to find a Gundlach (or similar) convertible for 8x10/11x14 and use only one of the elements; that might get you enough coverage.

Remove an element? What a great idea. It's such a deviously simple solution, I don't know why it never crossed my mind. Thanks.

Should I be aware of any unintended consequences with this procedure? Does it affect the image in any way other than increasing the image coverage?

And I thought Angle of View referred to the "peripheral" vision of the lens–how wide or narrow its perspective. Does this work in reverse as well?

And thank you for the chart, I found another one with the category "reported coverage" and the OP was using the same math to define the (angle of view I guess). Apparently I'm just unfamiliar with the nomenclature on this part of the lens.

John Kasaian
24-Nov-2015, 08:10
Should I be aware of any unintended consequences with this procedure?

A yellow filter always seems to help when you start "converting" convertible lenses.

karl french
24-Nov-2015, 09:11
It's unlikely that the 8.5x15 Vageeswari will have the bellows for anything but the 19" component of a Convertible behind the shutter. That would need something like 22 inches of bellows. These cameras are typically double extension. Nikkor 450 or a 12" Dagor would be my suggestions for a first lens depending on if you like normal or wide lenses.

Daniel Strasshofer
24-Jan-2016, 11:27
Not the cheapest route: I use a G-Claron 355 on my 8.5x15". Longer lenses are a little "wobbly"!