PDA

View Full Version : kodak 2d 8x10 view camera

Percy
28-Feb-2005, 09:33
Hi.
I was wondering if anyone could tell me something about this camera.
Specifically, would you recommend it (I primarily will primarily shoot portraits, lanscapes, cityscapes and abandoned buildings). What would be a good price for this camera with a decent bellows? $100? $200? more?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Steve Hamley
28-Feb-2005, 09:47
Percy,

$200 - $400 in general, maybe a bit more with a limber bellows, rail, and centering block in good cosmetic and mechanical condition. Above $400 you're starting to get into NFS Deardorff or nice Agfa-Ansco territory (more movements).

It's probably good for landscapes, cityscapes, and portraits, but the front standard has only rise and the rear has somewhat limited swing and tilt. So abandonded buildings might be "iffy" if you shoot interiors and want all the lines square all the time.

But it's light and you can generally get most if not all of what you paid for it when/if you sell provided you don't overpay.

Steve

Nick Morris
28-Feb-2005, 10:59
My first 8x10 was a 2D, and I liked it. I used it for about three years. As noted movements are limited, but I take similar subjects as you mentioned, and was generally pleased. I approximated front tilt by aiming the camera down, and pulling the back to a level position. Next to front rise, it is the movement I most often use.
I found the camera light, and easy to use. I would recommend a sliding tripod mounting block, and an extension rail. The sliding block allows you to position the camera over the tripod head for better balance. Otherwise, the camera will mount the tripod under the rear standard, putting some stress on the front standard. The extension rail allows for marco shots and longer lenses. The 2D has a bellows draw of about 16" without the extension rail, if I remember correctly.
I would not pay more than $300 for a 2D, and that assumes it is in very good condition, with good bellows. New bellows will cost over $200. It would be nice to have the sliding tripod block and extension rail in the package as well. Old metal body Calumet and wood Agfa/Ansco cameras offer more movements, and can sometimes be found at very reasonable and comparable prices.

domenico Foschi
28-Feb-2005, 13:14
it's a good first 8 x 10. It HAS to have good bellows otherwise with the money you would spend for new ones, you could buy an 8 x 10 with more movements with a little more money.
I still use mine , it makes lots of noise ( when i attach 3-4 pounds lenses), but it is still doing what is supposed to be doing.
I would buy one in good shape for 200-250.

Mark Sawyer
28-Feb-2005, 13:15
I still have the 2D I've used for more than a decade, and will likely use it again even though I recently upgraded to a Kodak Master. It's probably the best "bang for the buck" out there, and a very nice camera in general. I seldom felt limited by mine. The simplicity of its lensboards makes them easy to fabricate, a small but not insignificant consideration.

2D Hint of the Day: during set-up, move the sliding mounting block between the hinged bed/front rail joint for extra rigidity!

Brian Ellis
2-Mar-2005, 12:37
You don't see many 2Ds that come with both the sliding tripod block and the extension rail and when you do they generally go for about $400, maybe more if they're in excellent condition. I wouldn't buy a 2D without the extension rail, 18 inches of bellows draw on an 8x10 is the equivalent of 9 inches on 4x5 and that's way too short IMHO for a general purpose camera. You almost never see the rail by itself for sale so if it doesn't come with the camera you buy you probably will never have one. The sliding tripod block is a nice feature but you can use the camera without one.