PDA

View Full Version : Making a size reducing mask for a Durst 138 neg carrier

Bogdan Karasek
21-Nov-2015, 16:14
I have acquired a Durst 138 Laborator and I have all the LAPTE neg holders for the different formats from 35mm > 5x7, except 6x6. But I do have a 56x72 neg holder. I shoot 6x6 and want to use 56x72 for the 6x6. I store my 6x6 negs in strips of three negs. All the neg holders I have have 6 pins on one plate that register with holes in the top plate. Needless to say, the two pins, one at each end, are in the way of my strip. I want to remove those pins. Would removing those 2 pins cause any kind of problems? There are still the 4 pins , at top and bottom to hole the plates in register.

Since I'm on it, I want to reduce the hole from 56x72 to 56x56, in order to eliminate the extraneous light. I was thinking that a strip of sheet film, glued under the the top plate, would reduce the light considerbly and yet thin enough to sit between the plate and the film.

Any suggestions?

Ginette
21-Nov-2015, 20:46
Usually the LAPFE are reversible and you have 6 pins on one side and 4 pins on reverse, 2 UP and 2 Down or 4 in a row, it is the case for the 67 and the 72 that was designed for strip film. But not for the 2 1/4 x 3 1/4 that have only pins on one side (was designed for sheets films or glass plate, I don't know exactly).
If you have the last one, yes you can cut the middle pins but need to be very well done as your film will slide over this.
Other choice (very simplier) if you have no pins on one side, you can mount your 2 strips of sheet film on that side and on the reverse you do your cache for the 6x6 format between the 6 pins or using the six pins to hold the cache.

Luis-F-S
22-Nov-2015, 21:54
Usually the LAPFE are reversible and you have 6 pins on one side and 4 pins on reverse, 2 UP and 2 Down or 4 in a row, it is the case for the 67 and the 72 that was designed for strip film. But not for the 2 1/4 x 3 1/4 that have only pins on one side (was designed for sheets films or glass plate, I don't know exactly).
If you have the last one, yes you can cut the middle pins but need to be very well done as your film will slide over this.
Other choice (very simplier) if you have no pins on one side, you can mount your 2 strips of sheet film on that side and on the reverse you do your cache for the 6x6 format between the 6 pins or using the six pins to hold the cache.

+1 or you can make a cardboard mask, or you can spring for a 6x6 Lapfe. Ginette may have some extra ones and they will be well worth the investment! L