PDA

View Full Version : Need help identifying a rear lens cells

MAubrey
20-Nov-2015, 21:47
Hi,

I've been a lurker here for sometime, but this is my first time posting. A friend had a "lens" on a copal 0 shutter that he didn't know what to do with or have a use for, so he gave it to me since he knew I had a 4x5 camera. However, the lens turn out to be two different lens cells. The front is a Symmar S 150mm f/5.6, but the rear has no markings. It appears to be some sort of angulon/biogon type wide--definitely not a plasmat--but I have no way of knowing what it is. It's a copal 0 size. Maybe a Super Angulon 75mm f/5.6 or f/8? It looks too small to be a 90mm

142545'

Any idea?

EdSawyer
21-Nov-2015, 08:40
Could be an f/8 90mm. My Nikkor looks about that small (the inner element).

IanG
21-Nov-2015, 09:32
It looks too small to be from a 75mm f5.6 SA, it's not the same shape rear barrel as my 75mm f8 SA though It's more like a 65mm.

Ian

MAubrey
22-Nov-2015, 17:07
Thanks, both of you.

I'm having trouble finding images of the Nikkor, but the Schneider 65mm does look like a solid possibility! I'll have to start watching ebay for 65mm front cells...

MAubrey
23-Nov-2015, 14:58
Still digging.

If it's a 65mm, then it's a 65mm f/5.6, since the f/8 version fits a compur 00 shutter and my cell fits a size 0. Problem is, I can't find any images of the 65mm f/5.6 with the stair step shape that I have. However, I have found an image of an old (1959) 75mm f/8 that has that pattern, so it appears that this was a style for Schneider Super-Angulon's in the 1950's (maybe 1960s?). On the other hand, I'm yet to find a wide angle designed lens from Nikon, Rodenstock or Fuji that has the stair step pattern to the rear cell.

So I'm guessing that I do have a Schneider, from the 1950's maybe 1960's, and it's either a 65mm f/5.6 or a 75mm f/8.

Corran
23-Nov-2015, 15:44
You should measure the width of the cell and see if that matches the technical drawings of the lens in question, if you can find them, or someone can measure what they have.

Old-N-Feeble
23-Nov-2015, 16:03
My suggestion would be to look for a rear cell of the lens you've already identified... the 150mm Symmar-S. Better yet, and not to be discouraging, but you might be better off selling the front cell in shutter with missing rear cell, and selling the rear cell as 'unknown'. Then look for a complete lens of the focal length you want, with return privilege. The reason is because lens manufacturers often make incremental changes over time so, even if you do find a rear cell for the 150... or even if you do identify the rear cell and purchase a front cell of the same make and model... it probably won't be optimal. And in the case of the latter situation, the f/scale will be wrong. Maybe I'm just lazy and picky but that's what I would do.

Old-N-Feeble
25-Nov-2015, 06:53
If you're extremely lucky, maybe THIS (http://www.apug.org/forums/forum379/146595-fs-75mm-super-angulon-f8-copal-0-no-rear-element.html) is a match?

Bob Salomon
25-Nov-2015, 08:40
Sell the 3 different parts and just buy a lens.

MAubrey
25-Nov-2015, 11:56
You should measure the width of the cell and see if that matches the technical drawings of the lens in question, if you can find them, or someone can measure what they have.
Good idea. The front element of the rear cell is 10mm and the back of the cell measures just a smidge under 42mm.

If you're extremely lucky, maybe THIS (http://www.apug.org/forums/forum379/146595-fs-75mm-super-angulon-f8-copal-0-no-rear-element.html) is a match?
I think I'll give that a try. Thanks!

Sell the 3 different parts and just buy a lens.
Well, this isn't a do or die situation. I also have a Symmar 210mm and a Xenotar 135mm. So it isn't like I can't shoot unless I solve the puzzle. If you had a random rear lens cell, wouldn't you want to know at least what it was?

Old-N-Feeble
25-Nov-2015, 12:19
^^^ Well, maybe Bob is as jaded, grumpy and lazy as me. I wouldn't bother with it either. BUT... neither Bob nor I are YOU. You should do what makes YOU happy!!:)

You seem to be a sleuth, at heart. Maybe you should become a private investigator.:D

EdSawyer
25-Nov-2015, 15:55
Xenotar 135, that is a sweet lens, shoot with that in the meantime! I enjoy mine a lot.

MAubrey
25-Nov-2015, 17:05
Appreciate everyone's help here.

Like I said, I've been reading here on the sidelines for a while. I'm glad I finally joined in!