PDA

View Full Version : New focusing screen, or new camera?

Hamish
20-Nov-2015, 15:47
Hi all, new here and hoping to tap into what looks to be massive knowledge base

I have an MPP Microtenchical vi (I think). I've been struggling a bit with what seems to me to be quite a dim screen. Having not very much experience with LF cameras I have no idea if this is normal? It's an old camera, so I'm guessing modern cameras are better in this regard?

I'm assuming that I could change the screen somehow?
But I'm also wondering if just buying a newer camera might be a better economy longer term?

I'm quite happy with the amount of movements it gives me, though I do wonder if I might grow out of it and regret spending money on it...?

I am also really loving shooting this format and can feel myself really getting into shooting more. As such thinking just making an investment that might see me in good stead for a bit longer might be a good investment.

What are people's thoughts?
Can I get a better screen?
Or if I were to chuck a couple or three hundred quid at some sort of newer field camera, would that be a better idea?

Cheers

Jim Jones
20-Nov-2015, 18:07
The MPP is a fine camera. It will do most of what a newer field camera can do. It is often better to master the equipment you have than to pursue the magic camera that may make you a better photographer. A few of the modern screens may be significantly better than the original one in the MPP, but expensive. A good focusing cloth and the right loupe lets you make the most of whatever screen you have.

Jim C.
20-Nov-2015, 19:37
Have you cleaned the gg ?
I don't mean the smooth side, the ground rough side is a magnet for dirt
especially in old cameras. Before you spend money, remove the gg and
wash it with dish washing liquid, it'll be a lot brighter than it was before
and it'll cost you next to nothing.

LabRat
20-Nov-2015, 21:20
Jim said what I was thinking... Cleaning up the old GG really helps!!! Make sure you carefully note what parts come out (esp spacers) from where and what side of the frosted GG goes inside the camera... (Usually frosted side goes inside...)

You can draw lines on the frosted side with a sharp, hard lead drawing pencil, or consider a new GG...

If you want to use the old GG for reasons of economy right now, you can add a fresnel to the outside of the old GG... Not expensive, and if you just want to test the difference, find one of those sheet page magnifiers from the office store and cut it down to the size of the GG, and secure it to it... It should make it a little easier to see, but you will need a better darkcloth as they reflect a little glare... (the thicker ones are a little less glare/reflective) But a cheap upgrade...

A high-end GG will be less $$$ than a new camera, but you don't have to buy the most expensive one, as the medium priced ones are quite good...

Have fun shooting!!!!

Steve K

Michael E
22-Nov-2015, 08:58
How fast are your lenses? A 90/f8 will give you are darker screen image than a 90/4.5, obviously. I have lenses (old wide angles like protars) with a maximum aperture of f18. No ground glass in the world will give me a bright image for focusing.