PDA

View Full Version : Top mount or side mount rangefinder for Crown (Speed) Graphic 4x5

jumanji
19-Nov-2015, 22:46
As title. I'm thinking about purchasing one 4x5 Crown (or Speed for the ability of using fast barrel lenses) Graphic for handheld works. Someone with experiences could help me? After reasearching old threads here am still confusing. From what I've learned the side mount is older and need "cam" for each FL. The top mount is newer and doesnt need cam. So the newer the better?

Dan Fromm
20-Nov-2015, 06:27
You have things somewhat backwards.

You were right about timing. Side-mounted Kalart and similar RFs were introduced in the 1930s. Graflex' own top mounted RF was introduced in the mid-1950s.

You were wrong about cams. Kalarts don't have cams, have an internal linkage that can be adjusted for a moderate range of focal lengths. Visit www.graflex.org to learn more about the range. IIRC, the longest FL usable is around 200 mm. I could be mistaken. Adjusting a Kalart is a slow process that can't be done in the field. In practice, with a Kalart you're limited to using the RF only with the lens for which it has been set up.

Graflex' own top RFs use lens-specific (not nominal focal length specific) cams, had cams for a moderate range of focal lengths. You'll almost certainly have to cut a cam for the lens you decide to use. Again, visit www.graflex.org to learn how.

Oh, and by the way, Crown Graphics don't have focal plane shutters so can be used only with barrel lenses that are mounted in front of (or behind) a leaf shutter.

Oren Grad
20-Nov-2015, 07:00
As a platform for using barrel-mount lenses I bought a 4x5 Anniversary Speed Graphic, which is an older model with side-mount Kalart rangefinder. The Anniversary model uses a wooden lens board that is slightly larger than the metal board used by the later Pacemaker models, which in turn allowed me to have a slightly larger iris clamp fitted for easy swapping of lenses in barrel.

jumanji
20-Nov-2015, 11:05
Thanks. Now the headache has started!
Which one is more accurate and which one is easier to calibrate?

Tin Can
20-Nov-2015, 11:31
Neither is easy to calibrate, but I have read that the side mount may be done by mere humans. I still struggle with mine, but will try a new attack on it shortly.

I have had better luck buying them fully factory calibrated and looking as new. Everything perfect and untouched.

I now have 2X3 Busch, Century & Speed that have absolutely accurate Kalart RF side mount. My really nice 1951 4X5 Speed is great except the original owner swapped out the OE lens. I just got a NOS 127 Ektar for it. Now the battle begins...

I have failed at least twice at this procedure, but I seldom give up. https://www.graflex.org/speed-graphic/kalart-manual.html

3X4 Speeds are a bargain and can be found almost untouched. Better/smaller box, just cut your 1/2 plate film to fit.

Old-N-Feeble
20-Nov-2015, 11:51
Neither are "easy" to calibrate but the top RF model accepts cams specific to your lenses. Yes, you must make a custom cam for each lens but then you can swap cams with the lenses and shoot many focal lengths via the rangefinder. I personally think that's a tremendous advantage... IF you need to shoot with the RF with multiple lenses.

photonsoup
20-Nov-2015, 12:13
There is an eBay seller who has different cams. I think they are $25.00. There's a page at the graflex.org site that matches up lenses with cam numbers. I don't know how many different cams the seller has. Once you have the correct cam calibration is very easy. You can change cams in the field.

Sirius Glass
20-Nov-2015, 17:16
I was told by Bert Sanders, who repaired Graphic and Graflex cameras for 26 years and later posted how to repair those cameras on www.graflex.org/helpdesk/, that the top mount range finders could have a nasty habit of losing its ball bearings [he called it losing its marbles] and strongly recommend that I buy the speed graphic with a side mount. I bought the best of his Pacemaker Speed Graphic with the side mount rangefinder and Graflex Model D.

jumanji
20-Nov-2015, 23:59
Thank you guys, a lot. Now I know what should be in my cart.