PDA

View Full Version : Need a rear yoke for a ToyoView D45

alfredian
11-Nov-2015, 21:37
I need help - I picked up a ToyoView 4x5 for cheap on Rangefinder Forum about ten days ago. Came with all sorts of stuff - 2 lenses, 7 boards, rollfilm back, etc. Then I bought a Fujinon 180 (more modern). Today I had the whole apparatus set up on a tripod in the park, TX320 in holders, & after focusing noticed an extra "motion" in the ground glass/film holder end - the cast-metal yoke that holds everything was cracked, symmetrically, at the base of both left & right risers. The whole thing was held together by the geared riser tracks. I improvised with a forward pressure on the back to make the thing sit up straight, & brought it home to a double dose of SuperGlue, now setting up/curing under a stack of books.

Another example of "mint condition" - except for being broken. Damage is consistent with being shipped in a single cardboard box, swaddled in some bubbawrap. If the SuperGlue fails I'm left with Bungee Cords & Velcro straps to hold the rear yoke in vertical posture. I want a replacement cast-metal yoke - I can cannibalize & transfer all of the tilty-swingy-risey-fally mechanical bits with simple tools.

No joy on eBAY or Google so far. Is there anyplace in USA/Japan/Elsewhere that would have parts for this? Cannibalized is fine, RNOS is good buy likely pricey. I'd even buy an entire cannibalized rear-yoke + naughty bits attached if that's what's out there. At this point, given what I paid for the whole set up, it owes me nothing - lens boards plus rollfilm back plus Toyo film holder come to what I paid. Camera plus two "vintage" lenses could be counted as a throw-in. Any steerage or advice is much appreciated. thanks, alfredian (DC area, USA)

Andrew Plume
12-Nov-2015, 01:01
suggest that you contact tokyo photo, who list on eBay

good luck
andrew

Steven Tribe
12-Nov-2015, 02:06
If the cracks are clear of threads etc. you might think about welding. Aluminium alloy welding is not for beginners but for pros with, I think, TIG (?) equipment. A few spots welds will hold it together and not be as brittle as cast aluminium. You must do the finishing and painting yourself.

MrFujicaman
12-Nov-2015, 10:23
IME, Crazy Glue does not work well on metal. I'd try JB Weld expoxy.

alfredian
12-Nov-2015, 17:19
So far, so okay. One side of the yoke took the Superglue well - it's "White Metal" by the look of the fracture. My 8th Grade (age 13-14) Metal Shop class exposed me to this brittle but easily molded alloy of aluminum. My Googling around finally hit on the right search-words and I found, in Seattle, USA a complete "Rear Standard" including all the geared tracks, tilts, ets, (minus only one knob) - for only USD65. Shipping was a bit extra. Jim's Camera/Photo of Seattle had it up on eBay at that price. Sent me a shipping notice/tracking this afternoon, arrives next Thursday. So evaporates my excuse to buy a Toyo field camera (may do that if only to save space in the car. Thanks all for the replies - alfredian