PDA

View Full Version : Newbie into LF territory - Linhof Super Technika 5x7

Maxence
11-Nov-2015, 12:33
I purchased a Linhof Technika 5x7 with a rangefinder yesterday at auctions. The camera is in battered condition but the lenses are good and of good quality. (mostly Fujinon A)

I planned to experiment into LF with this camera. Especially for portrait (I am a young architecture photographer, so no architecture for me on my free time :p). Yet I think I have overestimated my abilities. I am shooting digital for my job and some analog cameras as a hobby. Mostly 24x36 RF cameras, and a Mamiya 645 AFD in medium format.
But the MF camera is more a point-and-shoot camera compared to this Linhof beast.

First problem: I have realised that doing portrait with a LF camera is only for studio (which I don't have) and proper lighting. Especially whith lenses closing only from f 10 (as my 24x36 lens opens up to f 1.4 this is a big change)

Second problem: The camera is a bit battered and lenses, despite pristine glass, have failing/erratic shutters. I don't even know what type of camera is my camera. It has no serial number on it and the accessory shoe is missing. I think it is a Super Technika III 5x7. (I am sure of the 5x7 format though) The RF is not usable as the lenses came with no came. (I have been told the previous photographer used to do reproduction of artworks. He should focus only through the glass I guess.) The bellows has cracks all the way and it is not made of leather neither paper, but a strange synthetic fabric. It still may be light tight. The back seems ok. Only the window with leather shade cannot close properly and pops up.

I will bring the camera to a repair shop in Paris tomorrow to see if they can do an overhaul of it. But the failing shutters is something I will need to find a solution to aswell. (the speeds seems fine, but for some of them either they shoot at the desire speed accurately or a much faster default speed is used. Not sure why. I expected the shutter to hang instead..)

So maybe you can give me advice. I hesitate to sell everything and buy a Mamiya 7 ii instead. Which would be a more natural levelling into MF/LF considered my inexperience and current gear.
Or maybe try to fix all the gear and start using it. Knowing that LF portrait is maybe something that needs too much attention and dedication for someone who is not that much ready for it at the moment ...

DrTang
11-Nov-2015, 12:53
SWEET Camera

I love mine.. and use it in the studio with strobes..yes

get a replacement bellows and depending on the lenses..maybe get one that works

the rangefinder is just for decoration I think as running around hand holding that monster is not for most of us

you can easily shoot portraits out doors (w/o lights)with faster lenses and faster film.. and a bit of patience from the subject

Leszek Vogt
11-Nov-2015, 13:21
You can have the shutters on the lenses lubed and cleaned by a reliable tech and they will perform well for years. Test the bellows with an open light (in a darker room)....and see if you can spot any cracks....and then you can choose to patch them or replace the bellows. It takes some patience to put the gear together, but well worth it.

Les

John Kasaian
11-Nov-2015, 13:42
FWIW I find handheld 5x7 exhilarating. Not much difference than handheld 4x5. If you can get a cam for one of your lenses, have a go at it!:cool:
Your shutters may just need a CLA (clean, lube & adjust) Not terribly expensive. Carol Miler at Flutots in Whittier, CA is excellent but I'd expect there is a tech closer to home for you. I'd suggest PM'ing Emmanuel BIGLER for recommendations.