PDA

View Full Version : Anybody have or heard of Schneider Dasykar Lenses?

Greg
3-Nov-2015, 18:10
Was going through a box of photo equipment that I had probably put away 20 years ago. To my surprise came across a lens I bought 20+ years ago... back then must have put away and forgot about it. Lens is a 180mm f/12.5 Jos. Schneider & Co. Kreuznach Weitwinkel Anastigmat Dasykar lens in a barrel mount. Serial number indicates that it is vintage circa 1928-1929. I'm guessing it was the precursor to the Angulon wide angle lens. Very quickly lens test done with 11x14 RC paper: Seems to me that it's wide open aperture of f/12.5 is for focusing only. At f/50 seems to actually cover 11x14 but only on center axis. When I purchased the lens, I vaguely remember posting for info about the lens on a newsgroup and getting a response but that's lost history now.

Greg

Dan Fromm
3-Nov-2015, 18:54
Dasykar, not Daystar.

The VM says:

Dasykar f12.5 It was made in 60, 90, 130, 155, 180, 220, 255, 320, 440mm Layout Q7.
It covered 90-110° and dated from the earliest production items. Use 180mm for 18x24cm at full aperture,
130mm at small stops. It was for Architecture, Interiors, Panoramas, and photogrammetry and seems to have
sold quite well for a small new firm. The example seen was a small lens in a black finished brass barrel mount
at No234,76x (c. Sept 1928) and showed the required (unlike) 2 bright and 1 faint reflexions front and rear.
Dasykar would be replaced by the Angulon in 1930 approx. It should still be really usable today however. The
barrel has a 32mm thread on the rear, to match a Compur 0 flange and the cells have the same thread as a
dial set Compur, but the barrel is near 12mm deep while a d/s Compur was nearer 18mm, so there is no real
compatibility with the normal Compur, but a wide one might be adapted. In use it gave good contrasty results,
with improvement on close down- it might be regarded as f12 to compose and f16 or f22 to shoot, but actually
f12 might give very attractive results on some subjects. In comparison the Angulon was to offer more speed
and easier focusing.
Fig 005 021 Schneider lenses: front (l) Dasykar, and (r) Rapid Aplanat and rear 3 prewar Xenars (f4.5 as (l)
210 and (m)165mm and (r) 75mm at rear. (above)
[It was placed side by side with a Ross-Zeiss f12.5/98mm Anastigmat which had very small glasses in
comparison: 7.5mm dia for Anastigmat compared with the Dasykar's 12mm. In both these the front cell is of
almost infinite focal length and did not throw a visible image, the rear being of about the overall focal length of
the combination. The Rodenstock Perigon f12/90mm at No2,369,41x ctd was superficially like the Dasykar,
but differed in that the front cell seemed to have measurable power, casting an image at about 5x the focus of
the rear. The internal glasses were also really much smaller than the Dasykar ones. Thus here are 3 lenses of
much the same apparent layout, but with real individuality. It shows the value of having several types to
compare.]

Four elements in two groups. From the front, meniscus, meniscus (the two cemented together), diaphragm, biconcave, biconvex (the two cemented together).

I b'lieve that Mr. Galli has sold several here.

Oren Grad
3-Nov-2015, 19:11
Thread title corrected.