PDA

View Full Version : linhof technika V 4x5 question

drdrew
3-Nov-2015, 09:36
hi just got a new to me tech V.
when i open the camera and squeeze the spring tension levers together and then pull the front standard out onto the rails it all goes smooth. but when i release the levers the standard does NOT lock in place. it still slides back and forth just as easily as if they are pinched together if that makes any sense?

i DO need to squeeze them together to get them onto or off of the back position to close the camera.

any thoughts? i hope im just doing something simple but wrong.....

thanks in advance

Bob Salomon
3-Nov-2015, 11:34
Time to call Bob Watkins at Precision. Sounds like that camera is long overdue for a CLA. especially since the Master replaced it in 1976.

JMO
3-Nov-2015, 18:30
I can echo that reco for a CLA by Bob Watkins at Precision Camera, as when I brought my Master Technika Classic to him last April he noticed the symptom you described - and since the camera was returned after CLA the front standard has required a bit more effort to extend, but when released the lens standard does not move unless I use the focusing controls. Problem solved, and since the CLA my Master Technika has worked fine! ....

towolf
4-Nov-2015, 08:35
Eh, sure you can send it out, but the braking mechanism is really easy to adjust.

It’s an ex-centric "washer" that needs to be turned just so that enough brake force is applied.

Just pop off the front standard and look at the bottom. Loosen the screw and turn the washer such that the narrower side touches the lever. Hence the levers will spread more and exert more braking force to the rails.

http://i.imgur.com/hhsxHwX.jpg

Bob Salomon
4-Nov-2015, 08:50
Eh, sure you can send it out, but the braking mechanism is really easy to adjust.

It’s an ex-centric "washer" that needs to be turned just so that enough brake force is applied.

Just pop off the front standard and look at the bottom. Loosen the screw and turn the washer such that the narrower side touches the lever. Hence the levers will spread more and exert more braking force to the rails.

http://i.imgur.com/hhsxHwX.jpg
It is an old, used camera that probably haven't had a proper CLA in decades. Chances are very good that there are other problems as this problem is a sign of heavy use. Do it once and do it correctly and have a long, long life with the camera. Otherwise you just might end up with a lot of frustrations with it.

towolf
4-Nov-2015, 09:01
Sure, Bob.

drdrew
4-Nov-2015, 10:22
thanks to all of you for all inputs even though opposing. i will consider all options and greatly appreciate the information you all shared.

JMO
4-Nov-2015, 18:36
Bob's comments ring true to me, as my mid-1980s MT Classic had the problem discussed, plus a number of other minor issues that were all corrected through a careful CLA and assessment by Mr. Watkins. Since the OP mentioned that the camera is 'new to him' I would expect that there might be other such minor issues that an experienced and capable technician could correct. ....

Cor
5-Nov-2015, 07:17
..this all its true...but..but..some of us like to tinker a bit..and if you read up, think and are not too clumsy a lot can be done by one self, especially on a well made camera as the Tech V. I worked for years with a Tech III from 1954 and now have a Color from 1964. I do not recall any major/difficult maintenance apart from applying tiny amounts of grease here en there.

I figure a CLA can be quite prohibitive costwise..but each to ones own, if you are uncomfortable do send in, after all skilled technicians should be able to survive too, there is only so much an amateur can do..;-)..

Best,

Cor

RussPhoto
7-May-2017, 20:16
Thanks a lot for this tip! Just did it on my MT and now all is tight and nice!:o

Bill_1856
7-May-2017, 20:43
If you don't want to come up with the Big Bucks $$$ of sending your baby to Precision, any camera repair person who's been in business since before the digital revolution should be able to do the job for you, and at considerable lower cost.
My own experiences with Precision have been with Minolta and Sony digital products, and were not satisfactory.