PDA

View Full Version : Goertz 7 inch double anastigmat

Kevin Crisp
29-Oct-2015, 10:45
Somebody offered me one of these. I know nothing about Goertz lenses. Any good? It is in a working compound shutter. Is it a convertible?

Robert Opheim
29-Oct-2015, 12:17
Kevin it is probably a "Goerz" lens. These were made in the US and Germany. There is a lot of information on double anastigmats here and on the web. What is the actual name of the manufacturer, length of lens, and maximum f stop?

Mark Sampson
29-Oct-2015, 12:31
Early Dagors were called 'double anastigmats' - I once had an 8-1/2" like that, made c.1903.

Kevin Crisp
29-Oct-2015, 12:43
Thanks, Robert you are correct. I'm working from a photo and the writing is right on the edge of legibility. It says Goerz double-anastigmat 7 in. Looks uncoated, typical black enameled finish.

Steven Tribe
29-Oct-2015, 13:11
The dagors were originally called series III. There were other series, like syntor, that were also called Double Anastigmats.
It is symmetrical and the single cells can be used. It is usually said that the single cells of the contemporary Zeiss Protar are better corrected than the Goetz design.

Robert Opheim
30-Oct-2015, 15:30
Kevin, you can look also on "Camera Eccentric Information" under the manufacturers name: Gorez American. It doesn't look like they have any catalogs from the German company. I am not knowledgeable on early Gorez lens. I have several of them but they are from the 1930's thru the 1960's. There are a number of members here that know a great deal about them. I am sure there are posts here.

Dan Fromm
30-Oct-2015, 17:10
Kevin, Goerz made several double anastigmat lenses. Dagors (Ser. III), six elements in two groups. Celors and other dialyte types, four elements in four groups. They're easily told apart. Shine a bright light at a cell. If it is a Dagor cell you'll see two bright and two dim reflections; the dim reflections may be hard to see. If it is a dialyte, you'll see four bright and no dim reflections.