PDA

View Full Version : Risk of fungus

michaelstubbs
23-Oct-2015, 10:33
Hello everyone. New user here on the forums as I'm about to move into 5x4 film photography, and need a bit of advice before I do.

I am in the UK and have found a good shop with a knowledgeable proprietor, and good prices.

For sale is a MPP field camera, complete with a lens "showing signs of fungus". My plan is to remove that lens, and replace it with a lens not showing sign of fungus.

The camera apparently shows no signs of fungus, but my question to you guys is this: if the camera has been stored with a lens showing signs of fungus, is that camera a risk to clean lenses, even if it is not currently showing signs of a fungus invasion?

I do not want to take a stupid risk and ruin a bunch of lenses, but nor do I want to miss an absolute bargain if I'm over-worrying on the issue.

I plan to use a clear plastic box for storage, stored in a bedroom that is kept heated, and place silica gel in the box as a precaution. That aside, being a field camera, it will be used outside and outside in this country is often not so dry.

Your thoughts would be appreciated, especially since I really need to conclude the deal in the morning if I possibly can.

Jim Noel
23-Oct-2015, 10:44
I am not familiar with your climate, but the fungus in the lens is not likely to infect the camera body.
When I lived in a more humid climate I kept each of my lenses in small plastic boxes so there was never any danger of fungus passing from one to the other while stored..

RSalles
23-Oct-2015, 10:57
I would give a detailed clean and 1 week of un-direct sunbath to the body as well, and advice for never storing the lens attached to the camera as well, it's more easy to have a controlled temp and humidity box for a bunch of lenses then for a bunch of camera + lenses.

michaelstubbs
23-Oct-2015, 10:59
Jim Noel: I was hoping someone might say that!

RSalles: I plan to give it a clean. I'm currently researching anti-fungal liquids. Having said that, it looks pristine judging by the photos.

Alan Gales
23-Oct-2015, 13:22
If the camera looks fine then don't worry about it. Just don't store your camera or lenses in your English Castle's dark, dank dungeon! ;)