PDA

View Full Version : This has got to be the funniest/dumbest question i have every been asked.

ImSoNegative
22-Oct-2015, 06:01
while out in the field I have been asked many many questions when it comes to the view camera. the usuals....how many megapixels is it, is that a Hasselblad, is that one of those old black and white cameras, can you still get film for that thing, why is everything upside down...yada yada yada. but this one takes it all. this lady, who by the way, is a photographer asked me the usual, why is everything upside down? so I told her why and THEN she asked me .. if I had a darkroom, I said yes, she asked "so you process your own film?" I said yes. she then proceeded to ask me "is the image still upside down after you process it" I said yes unfortunately that is when I have to use the rotating feature on photoshop.(I cant believe how quickly I came up with that one, sounded really convincing, my son who was with me was about to bust a gut) she then said, gosh digital is so much easier, I never have to do that :rolleyes:

Michael S
22-Oct-2015, 09:03
Once while I was photographing, a young person came up to me to ask me what kind of digital camera my Toyo was. I proceeded to remove the back to show him the empty insides. You should have seen the look on his face.

Jim Fitzgerald
22-Oct-2015, 09:55
Just goes to show you how people do not pay attention. When I was in the redwoods years ago with the 8x10 a couple came up the trail and I got ready for whatever question would come. The woman was so excited when I told her I that " hi I'm Ansel Adams grandson, Jim Fitzgerald " I mean really?

David Swinnard
22-Oct-2015, 10:09
Back in the early '80s while photographing in downtown Vancouver during the middle of the day I sensed someone standing watching while I was under the cloth finalizing the focus. I popped out and he asked what I was doing under the cloth. So I showed him. After explaining he should be look at the ground glass rather than trying to look through it he exclaimed "it's upside down!"

I shushed him saying that if he was too loud everybody would hear. I then went on to explain that I always turned the prints upside down before presenting them to the client. He thought that was a good idea.

ImSoNegative
22-Oct-2015, 10:23
Haha

Pete Watkins
22-Oct-2015, 11:46
I always tell the idiots that I got the camera cheap because some idiot fitted the back upside down. Keeps them happy.
Pete.

Mark Sawyer
22-Oct-2015, 11:51
I still remember the disappointment on a little girl's face when I had to explain, in answer to her question, that no, I was not going to play the accordion...

Jac@stafford.net
22-Oct-2015, 12:33
[...]The woman was so excited when I told her I that " hi I'm Ansel Adams grandson, Jim Fitzgerald " I mean really?

Are you?

A student saw my Zeiss Super Ikonta 6x9 on my desk and asked if batteries were still available. I answered, "It doesn't use batteries. It's much like simple clockworks." He glanced at his digital watch, still puzzled.

480sparky
22-Oct-2015, 12:56
Dumbest thing I've ever been asked is "I have a camera I really like to take landscapes with. Is it worth it to buy a camera that takes 'tall' pictures?"

LabRat
22-Oct-2015, 15:45
Just goes to show you how people do not pay attention. When I was in the redwoods years ago with the 8x10 a couple came up the trail and I got ready for whatever question would come. The woman was so excited when I told her I that " hi I'm Ansel Adams grandson, Jim Fitzgerald " I mean really?

Funny you mention the AA thing, but a reverse of it was when I had to go to DMV for a new license photo, and I joked with the young "photographer" that if I liked the picture, I would order reprints AND enlargements... He said not to worry, because he REALLY was a distant relative of AA...

Picture came out as bad as one would expect on a driver's license... (No print order that day...)

Steve K

ic-racer
22-Oct-2015, 17:33
However, there are many photographers, even Large Format photographers that don't realize the image on the film, even though it is also upside down, is a mirror image of what you see on the ground glass.

Mark Sawyer
22-Oct-2015, 19:51
However, there are many photographers, even Large Format photographers that don't realize the image on the film, even though it is also upside down, is a mirror image of what you see on the ground glass.

Depends on which side of the film you're looking at. Like turning the prints right-side-up, most of us have figured out how to turn the film over... :rolleyes:

StoneNYC
22-Oct-2015, 21:05
Making fun of a digital photographer for not understanding LF film photography is like making fun of a commercial interior painter for not knowing how to properly mix egg tempera and apply it to wood paneling when you're not a commissioned painter from the 1300's.

Let's rise above gents and ladies and non-binary, instead of mocking, we might try educating. It could only improve global understanding and improve our own standing in the community. Dare to bring them into the fold.

Michael Mutmansky
23-Oct-2015, 08:37
Making fun of a digital photographer for not understanding LF film photography is like making fun of a commercial interior painter for not knowing how to properly mix egg tempera and apply it to wood paneling when you're not a commissioned painter from the 1300's.

Let's rise above gents and ladies and non-binary, instead of mocking, we might try educating. It could only improve global understanding and improve our own standing in the community. Dare to bring them into the fold.

Agreed... these are d-bag attitudes and responses to people who have never been exposed to LF photography. Snark has apparently left the internet, invaded LF photographers minds, and found a welcoming hearth and home.

You don't need to go to the extent of being ambassadors for LF photography, as apparently, many of you may not be up to the task, but at least treat others who inquire with the same respect they have treated you (at least), even if you think the questions they ask are dumb.

Alan Gales
23-Oct-2015, 15:24
I tell them that the lens sees just like their eyes. It's their brain that corrects the image. SLR's use mirrors to correct the image. Mirrorless digital cameras do it electronically. This seems to satisfy them.

jmontague
23-Oct-2015, 16:21
I was carrying my Pentax V spot meter in a Zone VI holster on my belt and was asked why I needed a Taser in Rocky Mountain National Park.

John Olsen
23-Oct-2015, 16:38
People love to be amazed by something they can understand, so I have a good time with people who are curious. If it's not a matter of critical timing, like the sun is just about to go behind a cloud, we all can have a good time. Some of the answers above, however, were pretty funny anyway.

Willie
23-Oct-2015, 18:04
Funny you mention the AA thing, but a reverse of it was when I had to go to DMV for a new license photo, and I joked with the young "photographer" that if I liked the picture, I would order reprints AND enlargements... He said not to worry, because he REALLY was a distant relative of AA...

Picture came out as bad as one would expect on a driver's license... (No print order that day...)

Steve K

Steve, remember the first rule of fine portraiture: If you want a better picture, bring a better face.

jmontague
23-Oct-2015, 19:05
Or, as Abraham Lincoln said when accused by a political opponent of being two-faced, "If I were two-faced, would I be wearing this one?"

LabRat
23-Oct-2015, 20:04
Steve, remember the first rule of fine portraiture: If you want a better picture, bring a better face.

Nah, not always... There really are photogs that could screw-up a pix of a supermodel... Check the 'net!!!!

Steve K

Alan Gales
24-Oct-2015, 20:16
I was carrying my Pentax V spot meter in a Zone VI holster on my belt and was asked why I needed a Taser in Rocky Mountain National Park.

You should have told them that it was for protection against all the man eating bears in the park! ;)

Harold_4074
26-Oct-2015, 19:12
My favorite was the sweet young thing who, after seeing quite a few of my B/W prints, volunteered to be photographed along with a friend. I suggested that she take a look at the image of her friend on the groundglass. She did, and popped out from under the dark cloth with "But I thought you only took black-and-white pictures!"

I later realized that neither of the young ladies had ever seen themselves in a B/W picture--to them what you see in the viewfinder is what you get...

koraks
27-Oct-2015, 08:09
I can't help but chuckle at some of the posts in this thread - and they make me wish the people I encounter could be so pleasantly naive and amusing!

I shoot most of my LF work in my local park (walking distance from my house) and people always comment on my camera. About 25% of them actually has the courage to approach me and talk to me, and mostly, I'm fine with it. Had a chat with a nice elderly guy who used to shoot his Leica a lot, but does mostly film these days.

Surprisingly, several people have already asked me if I were shooting glass plates. Somehow, people easily associate an LF camera exclusively with plates. Overall, I notice that obviously, nearly everyone I talk to when I'm out shooting doesn't have a clue about LF photography, but they all seem genuinely interested. It's a hobby for me, so I'm glad to chat a bit when I'm out and generally it makes for nice conversation.

ShannonG
29-Oct-2015, 06:57
Yup, its fun to here some of the questions,but i usually try to educate a little.I like the conversation anyway.some times ill show them pics on my phone of prints ive done with the camera ,then they start to understand why im using large format film.its best to be a good advocate for our art form,but like i said i laugh a little at some of the questions.

ImSoNegative
29-Oct-2015, 07:25
I think its funny that the same statement is made everytime someone peers through the GG for the first time.... Hey its upside down!:) when I got my first LF camera I already knew about the world being upside down, I was just dreading trying to focus that way,

ic-racer
29-Oct-2015, 07:39
Depends on which side of the film you're looking at.

With x-ray film, yes, but most large format film has the image on only one side.

steveo
29-Oct-2015, 09:50
I think its funny that the same statement is made everytime someone peers through the GG for the first time.... Hey its upside down!:)

Its the "its bigger on the inside" reaction.

Liquid Artist
29-Oct-2015, 13:25
I almost hate to admit this, but i am not perfect in that sense.

After I was finished hauling on the iceroads in the sprint I set up the camera hoping on photographing a tug boat on a calm lake.
I had a tough time bringing everything into focus. After one or two minutes I realized that I was trying to focus on the reflection.
As soon as I realized what was happening my mind started working right and I had a nice sharp image in no time.

As a result I don't think that I can look down on anyone looking through my cameras for the first time.

Oh, I have also shown people the inside of the camera, totally baffling them.
More people have asked me if I can still get film. I should almost say No, and see what they say.
I've also had 2 people ask me if I can have the image on the ground glass up-righted.
Children seem to love it when they see their parents upside down.

Liquid Artist
29-Oct-2015, 13:36
Yup, its fun to here some of the questions,but i usually try to educate a little.I like the conversation anyway.some times ill show them pics on my phone of prints ive done with the camera ,then they start to understand why im using large format film.its best to be a good advocate for our art form,but like i said i laugh a little at some of the questions.
My portfolio isn't usually all that far away, so I often show them some 11x14" prints.
They are usually impressed, especially when I tell them that they are all done in my actual darkroom.
When I can point out a barbed wire fence 2km, or power lines 5km away or show them larger prints it seems to impress them even more.

Bruce Barlow
29-Oct-2015, 16:58
Lady, looking at GG: "It's upside down!"

Me: "Yes, it is."

Her: "Is it always upside down?"

Me: "It had better be. If it isn't, the laws of physics aren't the same everywhere and we have bigger problems than an upside-down picture."

beemermark
29-Oct-2015, 20:44
I'm an old guy (>60) and I often go downtown (Wilmington, NC) to play with a bunch of my really old, never worth much cameras. I'm always amazed at the attention, but more amazed at the number of young people (<30) that have an idea of what I have and just have a hundred questions. Last Sunday I was out playing with a Kodak Signet 35 and the waiter (waiting on the outside tables) saw me and had to corner me to talk. We talked for 30 minutes and I couldn't break away. Customers be d-mned. I was worried he'd get fired, evidently he wasn't-:).

Film is alive and well.

Roger Cole
30-Oct-2015, 05:10
With x-ray film, yes, but most large format film has the image on only one side.

Huh? That has nothing to do with it. You turn the negative over and look through the side that gives the proper orientation.

Andrew O'Neill
30-Oct-2015, 10:05
I think he means that some X-ray film has the imaged formed on both sides.

Roger Cole
30-Oct-2015, 10:35
I think he means that some X-ray film has the imaged formed on both sides.

Yes, I know that's what he's saying. What *I* am saying is that what he is saying is totally irrelevant to the point. Here's the full exchange:

Depends on which side of the film you're looking at. Like turning the prints right-side-up, most of us have figured out how to turn the film over... :rolleyes:

What I'm saying is that it makes not one iota of difference whether the image (emulsion) is on one side only or on both sides, to the point of it being a mirror image of what you see on the ground glass. What makes it not a mirror image similar to what makes the final print not upside down. We turn a print so it's right side up and similarly we just look through, or print through, the proper side of the negative to get the orientation we want. Doesn't make any difference at all if that image is single sided or both-sided.