PDA

View Full Version : Efficient way to reuse Jobo Expert tanks

Nicolasllasera
21-Oct-2015, 21:18
Well the title says it mostly. I have a Jobo 3005 and would love to get one more to be able to develope more sheets at a time but the current price range is a little out of my budget at the time. So I wanted to ask how do you do it to wash, dry and reuse the tanks or you dont? They seem to take a while to get properly dry even with the sponge. I use a kitchen cloth towel to wrap it on the sponge to dry it a little better but it works ok. Thanks in advance.

Domingo A. Siliceo
21-Oct-2015, 22:34
Nico, did you try to dry the tank with a hair dryer? This is the way I dry the Combi Plan tank to use it immediately.

StoneNYC
22-Oct-2015, 00:57
Same, before I got a second one I used the sponge to get the big drops and a hair dryer to get whatever was left after the sponge wand.

Nicolasllasera
22-Oct-2015, 01:12
I did use a hair dryer at the end. It sort of worked but its a pain to do it as it moves more air (and dust) than I would like.

Keith Pitman
22-Oct-2015, 06:21
You can fill the tubes with tempered water, load the film, dump the water, and then process as usual.

Nicolasllasera
22-Oct-2015, 07:01
You can fill the tubes with tempered water, load the film, dump the water, and then process as usual.
Never would of thought I could do that. I do prewash so I guess it does no harm.

DrTang
22-Oct-2015, 07:09
this summer, I just set it out and it dried pretty fast

first I set it face down for about 20 minutes, then face up for about 40 and it was good to go

Sal Santamaura
22-Oct-2015, 08:00
...They seem to take a while to get properly dry even with the sponge...Early on Jobo delivered the sponge rods with natural yellow sponge cylinders at their ends. Those work wonderfully, having great absorptive capacity. Soon after, Jobo began using synthetic sponges instead. The synthetic sponges exhibit virtually no absorptive capacity, becoming saturated after use on only one or, at most, two drum chambers. It would probably be worthwhile to seek out some natural sponge, cut it into cylinder shapes, and replace the synthetic sponge on your Jobo drying rod(s) with that.

Another factor which affects this process is ambient humidity. I suspect that Bilbao is not as damp as Miami, but it still isn't a desert. Even with the natural sponge, you might find it takes a while for complete drying, especially in the cap's light trap. If you use a hair dryer to speed things up, select the low or no heat settings. Plastic can be deformed if one isn't careful.

brouwerkent
22-Oct-2015, 08:24
Never would of thought I could do that. I do prewash so I guess it does no harm.

I can confirm that it works great to simply fill the tank with tempered water. My workflow is to pre wet the sheets in a tray, then insert the sheets into the prefilled tanks. I have been doing this for many many years...so there is no need for the extra prewet time on the processor. Why waste your time trying to dry the tank???...why not move onto the next processing run. After a session, I simply rinse the tank...and set them upside down to drain and dry .

Cheers

Phil