PDA

View Full Version : Yosemite Report

John Kasaian
21-Oct-2015, 08:29
Yesterday I traveled the Glacier Point Road and spent time at the Mono Meadow trail head, Washburn Point and Glacier Point.:cool: There was a good (bad?) strong buffeting wind at Mono Meadow trail head. I saw a fellow doing wet plates (?) at Glacier.
I saw a lot of tourists doing what appeared to be a strange, slow, silent dance with selfie sticks (maybe a form of Tai Chi?) It was interesting, but not as interesting as the snow capped peaks, beautiful clouds and water going over Nevada and Vernal Falls.
I wish I'd gone on the Tioga Pass road instead----the clouds were really working thier magic to the North--- but I just had a few hours away from home, so Glacier Point was all I could manage. The store had closed for the season and I heard some grousing from the tourists about no hot dogs I didn't realize the Glacier Point hut served, apparently served memorable hot dogs! I always went for an ice cream sandwich:rolleyes:

DavidFisk
23-Oct-2015, 14:03
Well, here's hoping for snow this winter in the valley. Heading there over MLK weekend. Even if no snow, what better place to go?

Drew Wiley
23-Oct-2015, 15:51
Sequoia is closer and can be lovely that time of year with snow in the big trees themselves. It's also easier to book cabin space around Grant Grove than in Yosemite Valley. You're a bit higher too than Yosemite Valley per se, so better odds of snow. And if the road is open between entrances, you'll have a distant view
of considerably higher peaks. But chains are almost always required to at least have on hand if this does turn out to be a very wet winter. Otherwise, Hwy 395
up the east side of the Sierra is generally accessible as far north as Mammoth, and paved side roads around June Lk and even up to Aspendel are regularly plowed. If it turns out to be a dry winter, Whitney Portal might even be open, though that road can get icy. But the peaks are so high around there you'll always get a view of snow, if you can't actually get in it. But El Ninos tend to be warm, so a snowfall as low as Yosemite Valley will have a high water content and get mushy fairly quickly. You need to be there during a snowstorm to get those sparkly powder snow effects, or else be at higher altitude where it's colder. Mono
Lake can be pretty in the snow, if you can get to Lee Vining, which you generally can via 395.

Robert Langham
24-Oct-2015, 10:52
I missed the Glacier Point Hotel that burned in 1969. It looked like a heck of a place.

John Kasaian
24-Oct-2015, 21:38
I missed the Glacier Point Hotel that burned in 1969. It looked like a heck of a place.

Indeed, it was:(

Drew Wiley
26-Oct-2015, 08:23
There was another substantial fire right behind that same spot about thirty years ago. I barely remember the old hotel. That was when every idiot wanted to sneak
over the fence onto that rock plank right at the edge of the point and throw rocks off (idiots including kids like me). There are numerous antique photos of old bearded guys under darkcloths, with huge glass plate cameras propped at the very edge, and even of Model T's parked on it.

Will S
20-Dec-2015, 07:45
Hey - I'll be in Yosemite in early June by plane from SF where I am picking up a rental car. Do you know is it possible to have an 8x10 and tripod shipped to the Ahwahnee lodge where I'll be staying? I really don't want to have to deal with taking it on the plane, and there is the problem with getting the film there. Also, I have Ansel's guide to the park but that's about it. Any good recommendations on what to do in three days? I'm going to Sequoia as well for two days. Thanks! Will

John Kasaian
20-Dec-2015, 12:59
Hey - I'll be in Yosemite in early June by plane from SF where I am picking up a rental car. Do you know is it possible to have an 8x10 and tripod shipped to the Ahwahnee lodge where I'll be staying? I really don't want to have to deal with taking it on the plane, and there is the problem with getting the film there. Also, I have Ansel's guide to the park but that's about it. Any good recommendations on what to do in three days? I'm going to Sequoia as well for two days. Thanks! Will
I wouldn't be surprised if they would. Contact the Ahwahnee.
Give the Maytag Blue Cheeseburger a try at the Ahwahnee while you're at it.
Plan on spending at least one full day in the Tioga Pass/ Tenaya Lake/ Tuolumne Grove area
Mariposa Grove is closed for restoration.
And another day on the road to, and at, Glacier Point. Maybe you can squeeze in the historic buildings gathered at Wawona.
That will leave one day for exploring the valley & waterfalls.

tgtaylor
20-Dec-2015, 14:37
The main USPS office is located about 1/2 mile or less from the Ahwahnee Hotel: http://www.yelp.com/biz/us-post-office-yosemite-national-park-2 You could ship it to yourself C/O The Ahwahnee if you have a confirmed reservation or ship it to yourself C/O General Delivery for pick-up at the PO.

Thomas

John Kasaian
20-Dec-2015, 15:12
A week ago there was a huge rock slide off of Glacier Point in the middle of the night. I was bunking behind The Village in Teqouia and it sounded like continuous thunder. The people at Camp Curry sure got a wake up call!

Leszek Vogt
20-Dec-2015, 20:40
I could use a serious snow dump at the end of the Jan. Wonder what the crystal ball says ? Anyone has any clues other than nada is predictable ?

Les

John Kasaian
20-Dec-2015, 20:50
According to the Weather Channel it'll be snowing all night and all day tomorrow.

Jim Fitzgerald
20-Dec-2015, 20:55
We are heading up for Christmas so I'll report.

Will S
21-Dec-2015, 07:19
Thanks for the info! Is Mono Lake too far to fit into a 3 day stay?

Jon Shiu
21-Dec-2015, 08:50

Mono lake is not too far if the Tioga pass is open, but pass may still be closed in early June if a lot of snow this season.

Drew Wiley
21-Dec-2015, 10:36
Mono Lake from Yosemite Valley right now? Let's see, maybe a sixteen hour drive around the south end of the range and back up 395 on the other side, or else over Donner Pass with probably chains on your tires. There goes two of your three days.

Leszek Vogt
21-Dec-2015, 12:32

If the Sonora Pass is open (when you are in Yos), your drive to Mono Lake might be less than 5hrs from the Valley...at least googly indicates that. But, with vacationers, slow pokes...I mean who knows ? Anyway, some other things to consider....will you get the desired light that you want at Mono Lake ? Also, it could be more efficient by dropping off your car in Reno and fly from there to SF. But, these things have to be worked out in advance....and I got this feeling that you'd be rushed.

Les

Drew Wiley
21-Dec-2015, 13:22
Sonora is generally a bit faster than Tioga, esp if you use it the way I do - weekday nites. The nice thing about it, is that there are plenty of free car camping spots up there, making it a good area to spend the nite and get some altitude adjustment before a high country backpack. And scenic. And of course, open only summer and early fall, just like Tioga. You can drive there from the Bay in less time than it would take to get thru the nightmare of SFO and Reno airports. The lower hill and farm country itself is worth the drive, though it can be hot in summer except in the morning. Mono Lk gets hot by midday too. No problem. Just adjust your altitude by the time of day if needed. Both Virginia Lks and the Tioga Pass area are quite close if you need a serious elevation change for a few hours. There are only about six thousand times more things to see and photograph on the east side than the handful of stereotypical sights people usually reference on these discussions. Your film won't go begging.

John Kasaian
22-Dec-2015, 09:27
The past two weekends has seen snow dumping in Yosemite at higher elevations. 'Tis a good thing!
Be aware and carry chains/cables if you go. If you're renting a car get a 4wd or take YARTS

Drew Wiley
22-Dec-2015, 09:45
Most people on this forum probably know the ropes by now, but there's more than renting a car and carrying chains to in the winter. Better have a serious sleeping
bag and emergency supplies too, including decent snow boots. I've been stuck as long as three days at a time while some highway was shut due to heavy snowfall, avalanches, truck pileups, whatever. Every year somebody who took a wrong turn doesn't make it out alive. What might be fatal for someone unprepared might be fun to me. I have my stove, lantern, books, parka, gloves, goosedown jacket, a set of snowshoes, and of course the 8x10. Can't have powder snow without an
8x10!

John Kasaian
22-Dec-2015, 10:05
Most people on this forum probably know the ropes by now, but there's more than renting a car and carrying chains to in the winter. Better have a serious sleeping
bag and emergency supplies too, including decent snow boots. I've been stuck as long as three days at a time while some highway was shut due to heavy snowfall, avalanches, truck pileups, whatever. Every year somebody who took a wrong turn doesn't make it out alive. What might be fatal for someone unprepared might be fun to me. I have my stove, lantern, books, parka, gloves, goosedown jacket, a set of snowshoes, and of course the 8x10. Can't have powder snow without an
8x10!
True---and add a shovel as well---a real shovel. And some food & water

Jim Fitzgerald
22-Dec-2015, 11:59
8x10!

+1 Be prepared.

Leszek Vogt
22-Dec-2015, 16:04
Just peaked at the El Capitan webcam and the entire frame is 18% gray....the Valley seem to have some fog here and there. Some views are (partially) possible of the falls or the Half Dome.

Les

brucep
23-Dec-2015, 00:50
What are YARTS?

John Kasaian
23-Dec-2015, 07:41
What are YARTS?

Yosemite Regional Transportation Service---the bus:cool:

Drew Wiley
23-Dec-2015, 10:56
Alas, we might get a dusting of snow atop of coastal hills tomorrow. But I'll be in the darkroom with no driving plans to the Sierra this winter. I've already had more than my fair share of snow during recent Sierra "summers" and need to get some of those scenes printed. I miss my house and fields up there, esp the
beautiful diorite boulders around my place, but all that granite, tree, brush and fence work sure wore my fingers out. I'm paying someone to re-tile my bathrooms
here. More stuff to haul home in my truck tonite.

brucep
23-Dec-2015, 11:35
Yosemite Regional Transportation Service---the bus:cool:

Thanks

bobwysiwyg
23-Dec-2015, 13:38
Hmm, hope Freso, CA doesn't adopt this naming convention. :)

Drew Wiley
23-Dec-2015, 14:38
Here in the Bay Area our regional system is called BART, so you can figure out the Fresno equivalent on your own....

Jim Fitzgerald
24-Dec-2015, 13:38
Snowing right now. Looks to be anywhere between 8-16" with this storm. Clearing tomorrow.

tgtaylor
24-Dec-2015, 15:37
I believe YARTS stands for Yosemite Area Regional Transportation Service. In addition to areas in the park, the bus goes to Mammoth Lakes and probably other outlying locations as well. I think it even goes to Fresno. I've done hikes from the Valley and Tuolumne Meadows in the park to Reds Meadow where I caught the shuttle to Mammoth Lakes and YARTS from the ML McDonalds back to the car.

Thomas

Jim Fitzgerald
24-Dec-2015, 15:56
Guys it is dumping snow right now and we're talking YARTS?

John Kasaian
26-Dec-2015, 10:45
I believe YARTS stands for Yosemite Area Regional Transportation Service. In addition to areas in the park, the bus goes to Mammoth Lakes and probably other outlying locations as well. I think it even goes to Fresno. I've done hikes from the Valley and Tuolumne Meadows in the park to Reds Meadow where I caught the shuttle to Mammoth Lakes and YARTS from the ML McDonalds back to the car.

Thomasmy bad:o

John Kasaian
26-Dec-2015, 10:51
Guys it is dumping snow right now and we're talking YARTS?
It's a big problem for me---my car broke down on Christmas Eve and I'm expected at work today. The garage won't open until Monday to make the repairs. I sent an email to my boss yesterday and haven't heard anything back.
A new employee not showing up for work isn't good.
I hope I still have a job!

Jim Fitzgerald
26-Dec-2015, 18:32
Sorry to hear that. It is beautiful in the park now. Still plenty of snowin the south side of the valley. The sun is melting things in the north side. Cold at night and during the day. Amazing place to spend Christmas!

John Kasaian
27-Dec-2015, 16:01
Hey, I work with a great crew!
I'm still in the ski biz :cool:

Jim Fitzgerald
27-Dec-2015, 21:07
So Christmas in Yosemite was a wonderful experience. We got into the park on Wednesday and it snowed all day and night Christmas eve. It was cold. 16 degrees at night and when we left today it was about 25 degrees. A lot of snow on the south side that should stay unless they get rain. The storm total was about 16 inches. I was the only film shooter unless I did not see someone else. I only took the 8x10 and I'll post my results when I can. I spoke to the ranger on the way out and she said it took people 2 1/2 hours to get in on Thursday. Chains were required the whole time we were in the park and they were still making people chain up just past the entrance station on 140. The line was super long to get into the park today. Great 5 days for us!

Merg Ross
27-Dec-2015, 21:28
Thanks Jim, with envy!

Love your passion for our wonderful medium.

Safe trip back, I await the results of your venture.

To you, and to the dedicated photographers on this forum, all best wishes for a healthy and productive 2016!

Best,

Merg

Jim Fitzgerald
27-Dec-2015, 21:52
Thanks Jim, with envy!

Love your passion for our wonderful medium.

Safe trip back, I await the results of your venture.

To you, and to the dedicated photographers on this forum, all best wishes for a healthy and productive 2016!

Best,

Merg

Merg, thank you and the best to you and yours for all of 2016 and beyond. We got home safe and sound around 7 pm tonight. What a trip! On a personal note this was a very special trip. The rangers told us that it had not snowed on Christmas eve for 6 years. We even had some morning snow on Christmas day. The most important thing was that I asked my lovely June to marry me while it was snowing on Christmas Eve. My plans came together perfectly. The best trip ever for me and for June to be in the snow was an amazing event. She was very happy with the ring as well. She almost passed out when I asked her. I could not be happier. We had an amazing time and I managed some 18 sheets of 8 x 10 in the midst of all of this. My June is very supportive of my love of photography, the park and even though it was cold she never complained. I have a real keeper. I hope to share the images soon. To anyone on the fence about going to Yosemite ..... GO! The light is amazing now. Low and angular all day. The back light in the morning is wonderful. Cold and crisp and not a lot of people plus another storm is on the way!

ghostcount
27-Dec-2015, 21:56
Congratulations to the both of you!

Jim Fitzgerald
27-Dec-2015, 22:01
Congratulations to the both of you!

Randy, thank you very much.

ScottPhotoCo
27-Dec-2015, 22:29
Congratulations Jim! Wonderful news!

Merg Ross
27-Dec-2015, 22:57
Jim, thanks.

What a wonderful story! Congratulations to you both.

Merg

Leszek Vogt
27-Dec-2015, 23:26
Congrats, Jim. Intend to veer to Yos in Feb...or sooner if it dumps another 16" :>). Have you been watching the latest developments near Ventura ? Meant to PM you.

Les

John Kasaian
28-Dec-2015, 05:56
Congratulations!
More snow is on the way today according to the 'puter.

Jim Fitzgerald
28-Dec-2015, 08:26
Thanks everyone. It has been a memorable time that is for sure. The fire in Ventura is thankfully quite a distance from us. It is a cold morning today but not like the teens in Yosemite right now. It is pure magic in the park right now. The low winter light bounces off of El Capitan all day and creates a warm "glow" everywhere. You can feel the power of this light especially at the end of the day. The energy is something else. We may not get back to Yosemite for a while as we now have to get packing for our move to Vancouver Washington which is scheduled for sometime around the end of January first of February. Next time we go in 2016 may be to tie the knot, who knows!

Forrest Atkins
28-Dec-2015, 14:03
Congratulations to you and June!

Jim Fitzgerald
28-Dec-2015, 17:52
Forrest, thanks. We still need to set the date and I'll let you know.

David Karp
28-Dec-2015, 21:13
Congratulations to you both Jim. Yosemite in winter is magical, even more so for you now! Good luck with your move.

Sirius Glass
28-Dec-2015, 21:34
May you keep each other warm for years to come.

Jim Fitzgerald
28-Dec-2015, 21:40
Thanks everyone!

Michael Mutmansky
29-Dec-2015, 10:37
Jim, you need to train her to hold your film holders for you... both times I passed you by, you were out shooting in the field on your own, and she was warm and comfy in the van!

On the other hand, that may be why she can tolerate the LF shooting... Either way, congratulations on the engagement. You couldn't have picked a better place or time to have made the commitment.

---Michael

Jim Fitzgerald
29-Dec-2015, 18:30
Michael, thanks! June was freezing but not complaining. She was answering questions from friends and family members ( a Lot ) . I kept her warm and happy. We did do portraits in the snow and in our warm room. Generally she carries my holders and lenses and helps with the 14 x 17. Like I said a real keeper.

Michael, next time stop and say hello! Glad you got to experience the beauty of the park during the snow.

Vaughn
29-Dec-2015, 23:14
Congrats to you and June! And I am glad you had such a great time in the Valley! It is a pretty special place. I hope your move north goes smoothly -- but one always has so much stuff! And it will be fun -- I am far more likely to be passing thru Vancouver, WA then Ventura!

I entered but was not accepted into the Yosemite Renaissance this year, so while I do not have the show's opening as an excuse to go, I think I can talk myself into making it to Yosemite in February anyway! ;) Death Valley and the SoCal deserts are also on this winter's list!

Here is what I entered in the YR: Yosemite Valley Wall, 8x10 carbon print

Jim Fitzgerald
30-Dec-2015, 09:45
Vaughn, there will be a room with you name on it anytime you wish to come up. It will be easier for us too to head your way as well. You know how much I love the Redwoods. I also got snubbed at the Renaissance this year. I entered three carbon prints. We may just head to Yosemite in February as well. A friend of ours turns 100 on the 6th of March and we promised to attend her birthday party on the Queen Mary. It would be great to shoot again together.

Here is one of the images I entered. I like the image you posted. Can't wait to see it.

Drew Wiley
30-Dec-2015, 09:54
Hmm ... I recognize that rock, Vaughn. Very nice detailing. The texture in the carbon print must be wonderful.

Vaughn
30-Dec-2015, 10:02
Drew...It would take me a long time to find the place again! I was just doing my usual wandering around, looking for light -- but it is part of the walls around Yosemite Valley somewhere!

Nice piece, Jim!

Drew Wiley
30-Dec-2015, 10:52
I remember it well because I was wandering around the same area in a deep powder snow, about to set up my view camera, when some lady comes over there
were a beginner climbing class looking for boulders. She objects to me interfering with her job. I could have just told her and her class to get lost - I was there
first. But it was easier to look for another rock. I have a memory for natural features like that, but get lost in Costco. I grew up surrounded by gorgeous boulders in the yard, many big enough to learn to climb on, with real cliffs not far away. There are times I've taken a shot of a particular rock off trail way up in the high country and then homed right in on it again twenty years later. The only thing I regret at the moment is printing a shot of a bitterly cold morning last summer up above Mineral King, then printing it a few days ago over the holiday - lovely print, but I wanted to feel warm, not reminded of the cold! Brrrr.

Jim Graves
30-Dec-2015, 23:21
Hey Jim ... congrats to you and June ... and for the record ... June got a "keeper" too.

Jim Fitzgerald
31-Dec-2015, 08:02
Jim, thanks. BTW we finished your order. I'll be in touch.

Preston
7-Jan-2016, 12:05
This item is on our local Sonora news this morning...

Yosemite, CA — A rockslide occurred along El Portal Road (Highway 140) early this morning in Yosemite National Park.

Park officials say that it was reported at around 5:45am. Due to the incident, El Portal Road is closed until further notice from the park boundary in El Portal to the junction of El Portal Road/Big Oak Flat Road (Highways 140 and 120). Park crews are assessing the situation this morning, and there is no estimated reopening time. There were no injuries reported. Lodging and other facilities in the community of El Portal remain open.

Big Oak Flat Road (Highway 120) and the Wawona Road (Highway 41) also remain open with chain restrictions. Visitors are required to carry chains in their vehicle when entering a chain control area.

Be safe out there everyone.

--P

Drew Wiley
7-Jan-2016, 13:56
Sounds like a nice time to be in Yos Valley, since not many people will be able to get in. But it will take some patience and probably chains too. My most memorable time was stomping around in snowshoes with a Sinar, and not seeing a single moving car in the entire Valley all day long except for one ranger.
Carry plenty of supplies, warm gear, and a serious sleeping bag. The south entrance (41) can be awfully slow unless you are head up to the Badger ski area first.

Jim Fitzgerald
7-Jan-2016, 15:30
It was beautiful when we were there. 41 is slow and can be icy so go slow and be careful. It will be a long slow drive but when you come through the tunnel you will be rewarded.

Preston
7-Jan-2016, 15:57
Hi All,

I can't edit my original post, so here's a link to the article (http://www.mymotherlode.com/news/local/256378/rockslide-closes-major-road-in-yosemite.html), along with a couple of images.

From the looks of the slide, this is going to take a while to clean up, and to fix the roadway. Yikes!
--P

tgtaylor
7-Jan-2016, 16:21
Photographing Half Dome from Awhanee Meadow a minute or two ago:

https://c2.staticflickr.com/2/1559/24156658431_147cba2b04_o.jpg

Looks like a good place to be right now.

Thomas

Drew Wiley
7-Jan-2016, 16:49
.... and this time of year, under these conditions, don't expect to be back to work on Monday. One more reason to be there. "Sorry, boss, but the road is CLOSED
and I'm STUUUUUUUCK in this awful place, n' my cell phone battery is going cold, so you might not hear from me for another week or two. It's really tough, but
y'know .... Gotta go now, the light on that rock....".

Jim Fitzgerald
7-Jan-2016, 18:32
.... and this time of year, under these conditions, don't expect to be back to work on Monday. One more reason to be there. "Sorry, boss, but the road is CLOSED
and I'm STUUUUUUUCK in this awful place, n' my cell phone battery is going cold, so you might not hear from me for another week or two. It's really tough, but
y'know .... Gotta go now, the light on that rock....".

+1