PDA

View Full Version : How problematic is Balsam separation in a lens

dimento
21-Oct-2015, 02:55
HI guys

I'm looking at buying a cheap 4x5 lens at present which is described by the seller as having some balsam separation. I'm just wondering how problematic it's likely to be.
I've never had a lens with that issue before

I've shot sharp, contrasty images on a lens with haze, another with fungus and rear element scratching, so i'm just wondering what your collective experiences are.

Is the problem likely to increase or accelerate with time?

thanks

D

Steven Tribe
23-Oct-2015, 05:06
Edge separation with Canada Balsam cement remains pretty stable over decades, whilst changes with synthetic lens cement are more difficult to predict. I have seen total separation occur during the stresses of postal transport.

Balsam breakdown can involve displacement of the lenses away from alignment without this being obvious from the outside.

Kevin Crisp
23-Oct-2015, 07:09
Hard to say without seeing it, but Steven is right, this tends to be quite stable. And even a good sized ring of separation makes no difference at typical LF taking apertures in the f:22 range. If the separation is on just one side (not a ring) I'd be more concerned.

dimento
23-Oct-2015, 07:14
Hard to say without seeing it, but Steven is right, this tends to be quite stable. And even a good sized ring of separation makes no difference at typical LF taking apertures in the f:22 range. If the separation is on just one side (not a ring) I'd be more concerned.
thanks guys, without seeing the lens I guess it's safer to side-step it, it's not much cheaper than a non-problematic example so probably not worth the fuss, thanks, D

EdSawyer
23-Oct-2015, 10:48
agreed, unless it's rare or a huge discount, just move on - there's no shortage of most LF lenses so no sense taking on a bad one unless the incentive is there.