PDA

View Full Version : Unique Ultra Wide Lens

b2sl2s
16-Oct-2015, 11:58
Hey Guys

I need help finding the name and a example of a Large Format lens I seen somewhere online a few years ago.

It was an ultra wide angles lens that suffered from little to no distortion because of a fan which was placed I front of the lens and blew on causing it to spin...

I understand this sound crazy to anyone who hasn't seen the lens but would appreciate any help finding it!

Thanks

Amfooty
16-Oct-2015, 11:59
Goerz Hypergon--https://www.cameraquest.com/hyper.htm

b2sl2s
16-Oct-2015, 12:02
Wow that was fast, that's it! Thank you very much.

EdSawyer
16-Oct-2015, 12:05
The "fan" was to correct the falloff, not distortion. Basically a primitive center-filter, essentially.

Steven Tribe
16-Oct-2015, 12:14
This is a Swedish advert from 1912 for the hypogon.

The propeller was "gon" by this time.

The x-section is perhaps more interesting than the front view

Although the series X was on sale for a decade or more - at a quite reasonable price - they are absolutely rare.

b2sl2s
16-Oct-2015, 12:46
Thanks for all the additional info. Anyone got a link to any example photographs taken with this lens?

Jac@stafford.net
16-Oct-2015, 13:28
Thanks for all the additional info. Anyone got a link to any example photographs taken with this lens?

Home page picture: http://www.glennview.com/

It is a good informative site. Browse around (http://www.glennview.com/note1.htm).

Steven Tribe
16-Oct-2015, 13:29
That would difficult as probably 80% are just shelf items and the most of the rest have a fan that doesn't work anymore. I can't see how the inside of the lens can be cleaned, either!
There must be some images in sales catalogues from Goerz.

b2sl2s
16-Oct-2015, 13:32
Thanks, I'll check the link.

When I originally seen the lens the guy who used it had a book of architectural interiors (it was on Amazon but old) they were impressive but the chances of me finding it again are slim.

diversey
16-Oct-2015, 13:43
Go to USA eBay, search "hypergon" and you will find one "Doppel Anastigmat Goerz Hypergon Serie X 120mm" on sale. At the discription you can see two photos of Moscow Streets made by this lens (8x10 inch)!

StoneNYC
16-Oct-2015, 16:17
I still don't get how the middle portion has any image coming onto it, because it is completely blacked out the whole time even when spinning because the center is solid, is this a factor of light bending?

LabRat
16-Oct-2015, 17:08
I still don't get how the middle portion has any image coming onto it, because it is completely blacked out the whole time even when spinning because the center is solid, is this a factor of light bending?

It required a double exposure... An image was shot without the "fan", and another with the spinning "fan" to "burn in" the falloff area...

Steve K

ic-racer
16-Oct-2015, 17:43
A lens can't 'see' an object smaller than the aperture diameter when held directly in front of the lens. For example a pencil, finger or fan axle. Try it, put a pencil in front of the lens. The pencil does not block the image until the aperture is stopped down a diameter equal to the width of the pencil. Try it. When the aperture is wider than the width of the pencil the lens 'sees through' the pencil.

Jim Noel
16-Oct-2015, 20:40
The center of the lens was not completely covered. The fan blades were tapered so that more light passed the edge than the center, but there was always light. I had an opportunity to try one many years ago before they got so expensive, but had no real need for a 120 lens on 8x10. Only one exposure was required, not two. The image produced was absolutely rectilinear with no distortion.

StoneNYC
16-Oct-2015, 22:25
The center of the lens was not completely covered. The fan blades were tapered so that more light passed the edge than the center, but there was always light. I had an opportunity to try one many years ago before they got so expensive, but had no real need for a 120 lens on 8x10. Only one exposure was required, not two. The image produced was absolutely rectilinear with no distortion.

Thanks Jim

IanG
17-Oct-2015, 01:08
I've always wanted to try one of the earlier Hypergon lenses, a few years ago they were more common on Ebay but you rarely see them for sale now.

Ian

Andrew Plume
17-Oct-2015, 04:36
btw, there are three currently available on the auction site

andrew

Corran
17-Oct-2015, 22:33
There are some example photos hidden away in the archives here. I believe Mark Sawyer had one and showed some examples from 8x10...it was the 90mm variant IIRC.

Cool lens, I would use it if I found one for a few dollars!

ljsegil
20-Oct-2015, 04:57
The Rodenstock Heligon 130mm covers 8x10 nicely. Rectilinear image with little distortion (or movements) Uncoated, no helicopter blades to get deal with.
LJS