PDA

View Full Version : Proper Synchro Compur operation

Assar Westman
21-Feb-2005, 05:54
Hi
I have just started with large format photography and just bought my first lens an old Linhof Super Angulon 90mm with an Synchro Compur #00 shutter. I wonder if someone could point me in the right direction how this shutter should be operated in a proper way? And also things one should think about so I will not ruin the shutter just because I am a stupid beginner.

Best regards Assar Westman

Donald Qualls
21-Feb-2005, 07:34
The Synchro-Compur is a robust and simple to operate shutter. Unless you drop it in water or dirt, or squirt oil in the slots, you won't hurt it short of simply bending or breaking parts (which isn't likely unless you drop it, anyway).

To open the shutter for focusing, set to T -- pressing the release (either the lever or a cable release) will open the shutter, pressing again will close it (as will changing the speed). B will stay open as long as you hold the release. Neither T nor B requires cocking the shutter.

For all other speeds, once out of T/B you can cock and then change speed, or change speed and then cock; it makes no difference (though the speed dial will go to the highest speed more easily if uncocked, because you're working against the stiff speed booster spring if the shutter is cocked). The shutter must be cocked (lever on the right, viewed from the front) before it can be fired (lever on the left, or cable release).

The only maintenance the shutter requires is keeping it dry and free of dirt (which is mostly a matter of not dropping it on the ground), and a professional type cleaning every few decades (well, okay, some folks would see it cleaned more often -- depends on how much you use it, and under what conditions). I have a rim-set Compur, functionally almost identical to a Synchro-Compur (lacks the highest speed and synchro contacts) that was made in 1935, as far as I know has never been serviced, and operates perfectly, even at the 1 second speed; the only thing that doesn't work is the self timer, which is just barely too stiff to fire the shutter. Sometime, I plan to open it up and clean it, lube the self-timer, and have it ready for another two or three generations of service.

Donald Qualls
21-Feb-2005, 07:43
Oh, forgot to mention -- some Synchro-Compur shutters have both M and X synch, some just one, some just the other. If yours doesn't have a selector, you can easily test by setting to highest speed, connecting a PC synch electronic flash, and watching through the lens for the flash while firing the shutter. If you see the flash, you're set to X synch. If the flash is not visible through the shutter, you're set to M. A shutter without a selector can be altered by a competent technician to fire at X if originally made for M -- if you get this done, it's sensible to go ahead and get a CLA (Clean, Lube, Adjust) service while it's in. Many users have locked the synch selector, when present, in X to avoid accidentally switching it to M (which is intended for Magnesium wire flashbulbs, and incorporates a 20 millisecond or so delay to allow the bulb to come up to full brightness before opening the shutter) and inadvertently underexposing due to the electronic flash being over before the shutter opens.

Don Sparks
21-Feb-2005, 19:51
I've had a couple of the #00 shutters and none of them had a T setting. If yours don't you will have to use a cable release with a lock. Simply set the dial to B and trip the shutter and lock it open to view and compose your shot.....then release the lock to close the shutter. Your now ready to set your f stop and shutter speed like any other shutter. I've also found the #00's to be a little more fragile then the later models.

J. P. Mose
23-Feb-2005, 13:10
Does anyone know if the 00 model has a V setting? I was surprised to discover this on some of the used lenses after years of owning them....I guess I never really missed a self timer!