PDA

View Full Version : Seeking information about Wisner Convertible Classic

koh303
11-Oct-2015, 19:47
I saw a few of these in the past couple of years, but have been unable to find any info on them.
Are they any good? Does anyone have a link to the original flier?
I guess they were not made for long or not many made, but any info is welcome.

Taija71A
11-Oct-2015, 20:17
For general information on the various and numerous Wisner Field Cameras that were produced
(such as Catalogs and/or Technical Specifications)...

I would 'perhaps' begin by searching the Internet Archive Wayback Machine:

https://web.archive.org/web/19961226202901/http://wisner.com/

'Captures' there of the Wisner Web Site...
Go as far back as December 1996 and proceed thru March 2008 (approximately).

Best regards, -Tim.

Oren Grad
11-Oct-2015, 20:35
Ron Wisner was in the business for many years, and for a substantial chunk of that he was a major presence on the LF scene, writing articles and teaching workshops in addition to building cameras. Do have a look at the archived catalog to get a sense of just how extensive his product line was.

As for "any good", put our search engine, or Google, to work and read up to get a wide range of opinions.

koh303
11-Oct-2015, 20:42
That is an amazing thing, and wow, a flashback to dial up days. With that said - nothing on the old website jumps out, after some extensive looking through the years.
Were these earlier or later made? I looked all the way up to 2006 and found nothing.

koh303
11-Oct-2015, 20:43
Ron Wisner was in the business for many years, and for a substantial chunk of that he was a major presence on the LF scene, writing articles and teaching workshops in addition to building cameras. Do have a look at the archived catalog to get a sense of just how extensive his product line was.

As for "any good", put our search engine, or Google, to work and read up to get a wide range of opinions.

so far - have not found any such results pertaining to flat bed (dove tail?) cameras from wisner.

Oren Grad
11-Oct-2015, 21:04
so far - have not found any such results pertaining to flat bed (dove tail?) cameras from wisner.

Tell us what you mean by "flat bed (dove tail?)", to make sure we're talking about the same thing.

EDIT: Are you referring specifically to his Convertible Classic model?

koh303
11-Oct-2015, 21:14
Tell us what you mean by "flat bed (dove tail?)", to make sure we're talking about the same thing.

EDIT: Are you referring specifically to his Convertible Classic model?

Yes - convertible classic. Could not find any info on that keyword either.

Taija71A
11-Oct-2015, 21:28
... Were these earlier or later made?

Is this the Camera that you were seeking information on?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/WISNER-Convertible-Classic-5x4-Back-Many-Original-Extras-/310230133497?hash=item483b282af9

According to this eBay Listing...
I would definitely say 'earlier' (*The Camera has a S/N of #109 and was originally purchased on 8/1/1985).
--
And quoting from here:

http://www.apug.org/forums/forum379/91580-fs-rare-wisner-convertible-classic.html

"This is a fairly rare Wisner Convertible Classic Camera. I understand that these were special order items, and only around 2 dozen were made, with an original price well over $4000."
--
Me bad also...

For originally suggesting, that you look on the Internet Archive Wayback Machine...
For information on such an 'early' Wisner Camera. :(

Oren Grad
11-Oct-2015, 21:37
OK, sorry, my bad. I don't know how many were made - my impression is that it was superseded by the Technical Field no later than around 1987, so perhaps not many, as you speculate.

peter schrager
11-Oct-2015, 22:35
I'm almost 100% sure I owned one of these for a few minutes. ..DO NOT AND I REPEAT EVER ATTEMPT TO OWN ONE OF THESE CAMERAS...there is crap and then the Wisner convertible
Please do yourself a favor and look elsewhere. ..lots of good used view cameras looking for a home...sorry I usually don't post like this but felt compelled to speak out

Liquid Artist
12-Oct-2015, 00:19
That's too bad Peter,
It looks like a beautiful camera.

I'm guess when it boils down to it I would rather have an ugly camera that performs right than a beautiful camera that doesn't.
Since I have a Burke & James in the original Battleship Gray I have the Ugly camera covered.

peter schrager
12-Oct-2015, 11:31
But you being in the north country it would make some fine kindlng!! I've owned many cameras...finding the right one that works for You is an art in itself

koh303
12-Oct-2015, 15:45
As a tribute to wisner, and this thread i did a fly by the Wisner factory in Marion MA today as part of my not winter yet celebratory ride...
There is a sail shop there now.

Oren Grad
12-Oct-2015, 16:29
As a tribute to wisner, and this thread i did a fly by the Wisner factory in Marion MA today as part of my not winter yet celebratory ride...
There is a sail shop there now.

Yes...

http://www.oceannavigator.com/Web-Exclusives-2013/Celestial-navigator-readies-for-Marion-Race/