PDA

View Full Version : Synchro-Compur versus other shutters of the era

Frank Petronio
20-Feb-2005, 18:15
I've never cared for the older shutters that tighten the spacing on the aperture scales as the aperture gets smaller - i.e. the space between f/32 and f/45 is only a few mms, while f/8 to f/11 is 7-8 mms. But I recently got an older Schneider lens (serial # 8million - late 1960s vintage) with a Synchro-Compur with even spacing between the apertures and a thicker, wider chrome speed selector dial. Large white plastic cocking lever, and white plastic aperture setting lever. It looks a lot like a chrome dial Copal, only the speed setting ring has the traditional Synchro-Compur script.

Are these early Copals rebranded as Synchro-Compurs? Or was this what Copal based their design on? How do they rate in the reliablity department, compared to other shutters from 35 years ago? My example sounds fine...

Also, is there a reason that Synchro-Compurs have a bad rap in general? Is it only because they are old and usually need a CLA, or is there design less robust than a Copal?

David F. Stein
20-Feb-2005, 19:22
Synchro-Compurs have a bad rap in general?

I don't think they do at all, but are considered the best of the vintage shutters. I certainly prefer them over a Kodak Supermatic or even a Wollensak Rapax.

Oren Grad
20-Feb-2005, 20:10
There's a little bit about Compurs, Synchr0- and otherwise, on the SK Grimes website -

http://www.skgrimes.com/compur/index.htm

Arne Croell
22-Feb-2005, 09:10
This is the type Copal based their current design on. Late 1960's to 1970's vintage. I am not aware of a bad reputation of older Synchro-Compurs either - the 1950's vintage ones often need a CLA, but then they work fine. There were just no Copals around then, otherwise they would probably also need one.

J. P. Mose
23-Feb-2005, 06:41
Synchro Compurs are great shutters!!! In fact, they were considered the premium choice of shutters for decades. I think they have a tendency to stick (or run slow) at slower speeds sooner than other shutters. However, this is just a matter of maintenance. Exercising the shutter greatly slows down the progression of shutter speeds running slower..

Another concern about Compur shutters is the availabilty of repair parts. This is commonly heard in Hasselblad forums. But repair sources have told me there are stockpiles of parts to keep them running for years to come.

Finally, Compur shutters are German. Copal shutters are Japanese. The Japanese basically copied the Compur design and was able to manufacture it much cheaper. Although the Copal took a backseat to Compur from a prestige standpoint, years of continuous reliability prompted a strong gain in Copal shutter popularity.

Within this forum there is a nice write-up on shutters:

www.largeformatphotography.info/shutters.html (http://www.largeformatphotography.info/shutters.html)