PDA

View Full Version : Lens filter? Kodak Yellow #3 to darker blue skies a bit for bridges and architecture

pchaplo
9-Oct-2015, 20:41
I typically shoot with Schneider 90mm SA XL or SS XL 150mm with center filter (from my color trans days). Now I am getting back into doing some B&W architecture and I love old bridges especially old black railroad bridges. I was thinking of using a yellow filter just to add a bit of darkness to the blue skies yet while not incurring much filter factor. From your experience, would a Kodak Yellow #3 be a good first entree for this purpose? In addition, with the center filter on the front of my lense, its quite a large diameter -- 112mm filter size and so I was thinking of using a square Wratten filter -- are they made in 5x5" size? Let me know of a solution. I'm not comfortable placing the filter behind the lens by the rear element as I hike and would be concerned it might become displaced. Kodak lists 5x5" Wratten filter size and I am scouring the internet as I speak.

Wishing you great light!
Paul

Doremus Scudder
10-Oct-2015, 02:40
Paul,

The generally accepted "standard" yellow filter for black-and-white work is the Wratten #8. A #3 is significantly lighter and would likely have a barely noticeable effect. Kodak/Wratten states:

"#3: Light Yellow. Provides partial correction for excess blue in black-and-white aerial photography and motion-picture photography."
"8: Yellow. Alters rendition of sky, clouds and foliage in black-and-white photography with panchromatic materials."

Note that a Wratten #8 has different designations from different manufacturers: K2 (Hoya, et al.), 022 (B+W), etc. Their lighter filters have different designations as well.

That said, I do see some of the lighter yellow filters in the B+H and Heliopan catalogs as well as some used Wratten gels. And, there are used Wratten 5-inch filters out there. (Here's a link to a 2B if you're interested http://www.ebay.com/itm/Kodak-Wratten-2B-Gelatin-5-inch-125mm-Filter-NEW-/310175506258?hash=item4837e69f52 for reference only :) )

There may be filters from one of the filter systems that will work as well (Cokin, Lee).

So, my advice would be to see what you can find in a #8 filter first that will suit your needs. It will certainly be easier to find. Then, if the filter effect is too much, you can look for a lighter yellow. Personally, I doubt you will need to. You'll more likely be looking for a #15 orange filter.

BTW, if you could live without your center filters, as many of us do with black-and-white, you will have an easier and cheaper time finding filters. I shoot 90mm on 4x5 all the time without a center filter, simply giving generous exposure and then correcting the fall-off at the printing stage.

Best,

Doremus

Old-N-Feeble
10-Oct-2015, 06:37
If I recall correctly, the pale yellow #3 was/is intended to reduce distant haze a bit. It won't affect sky much. However, if you really want to try it and can't find a 5 or 6 inch Wratten #3 then you might consider a CCY filter of approximately the same density.

pchaplo
10-Oct-2015, 21:41
Paul,

The generally accepted "standard" yellow filter for black-and-white work is the Wratten #8. A #3 is significantly lighter and would likely have a barely noticeable effect. Kodak/Wratten states:

"#3: Light Yellow. Provides partial correction for excess blue in black-and-white aerial photography and motion-picture photography."
"8: Yellow. Alters rendition of sky, clouds and foliage in black-and-white photography with panchromatic materials."

Note that a Wratten #8 has different designations from different manufacturers: K2 (Hoya, et al.), 022 (B+W), etc. Their lighter filters have different designations as well.

That said, I do see some of the lighter yellow filters in the B+H and Heliopan catalogs as well as some used Wratten gels. And, there are used Wratten 5-inch filters out there. (Here's a link to a 2B if you're interested http://www.ebay.com/itm/Kodak-Wratten-2B-Gelatin-5-inch-125mm-Filter-NEW-/310175506258?hash=item4837e69f52 for reference only :) )

There may be filters from one of the filter systems that will work as well (Cokin, Lee).

So, my advice would be to see what you can find in a #8 filter first that will suit your needs. It will certainly be easier to find. Then, if the filter effect is too much, you can look for a lighter yellow. Personally, I doubt you will need to. You'll more likely be looking for a #15 orange filter.

BTW, if you could live without your center filters, as many of us do with black-and-white, you will have an easier and cheaper time finding filters. I shoot 90mm on 4x5 all the time without a center filter, simply giving generous exposure and then correcting the fall-off at the printing stage.

Best,

Doremus

Thanks Doremus, I will start with a yellow #8. Thank you!
Paul

pchaplo
10-Oct-2015, 21:43
If I recall correctly, the pale yellow #3 was/is intended to reduce distant haze a bit. It won't affect sky much. However, if you really want to try it and can't find a 5 or 6 inch Wratten #3 then you might consider a CCY filter of approximately the same density.

I was wondering about the CCY option -- will that work for my purposes? If so, what are the approximate CCY equivalents of a Yellow #8 "K2" ...and a Yellow #3 (the latter just to understand the conversion proportion better). I can find a large CCY filter! Great idea!
Thanks,
Paul

Old-N-Feeble
11-Oct-2015, 10:53
Paul, CCY filters are not precisely the same as Wratten #3 or #8 yellow filters. But for monochrome film they're probably close enough. I don't know the closest CC equivalents to the Wratten filters.