PDA

View Full Version : Copal Shutter Repair

Bob Patrick
9-Oct-2015, 08:38
I'm looking for a shop to overhaul a Copal 1 Shutter. So far all the big names have struck out. KEH didn't even answer the e mail. Any suggestions?

hazardsg
9-Oct-2015, 08:43
Have you tried flutotscamerarepair.com? I have a shutter on its way to Carol right now.

Bob Salomon
9-Oct-2015, 08:49
Just ask Glazers who they use. A leaf shutter repair is very basic work. Any camera repair shop can do it.

Oren Grad
9-Oct-2015, 09:06
Bob Watkins: http://www.precisioncameraworks.com/

Frank Rubio: http://www.cameradoctornyc.com/

koh303
9-Oct-2015, 11:42
Precision camera is your best bet for turn around.

Old-N-Feeble
9-Oct-2015, 11:53
Not to hi-jack but... what I want to know is who can do a good job at a decent price. The few well-known companies I've contacted charge more than the used shutter is worth once shipping is added... and they inflate the return shipping fee 3-4x.

koh303
9-Oct-2015, 11:58
Not to hi-jack but... what I want to know is who can do a good job at a decent price. The few well-known companies I've contacted charge more than the used shutter is worth once shipping is added... and they inflate the return shipping fee 3-4x.

They all do a great a job, but none charge what could be calculated a reasonable when comparing to used prices. I doubt if shutter CLA prices have changed in the past 10 years, but the actual product price has.

Does that mean the price they charge is not reasonable?
Another used shutter, will also need service. Service a used shutter once, and its usually good for many years. Price the difference of buying a replacement shutter every time one misbehaves.

Bob Salomon
9-Oct-2015, 11:58

Then buy a replacement and sell the old one for parts. Just remember to switch the aperture scales and any shim rings.

Michael Graves
9-Oct-2015, 12:07
Have you tried flutotscamerarepair.com? I have a shutter on its way to Carol right now.

I'll second Carol. She's done about six shutters for me so far and every one has been a great job.

Old-N-Feeble
9-Oct-2015, 13:04

They all do a great a job, but none charge what could be calculated a reasonable when comparing to used prices. I doubt if shutter CLA prices have changed in the past 10 years, but the actual product price has.

Does that mean the price they charge is not reasonable?
Another used shutter, will also need service. Service a used shutter once, and its usually good for many years. Price the difference of buying a replacement shutter every time one misbehaves.

Then buy a replacement and sell the old one for parts. Just remember to switch the aperture scales and any shim rings.

Good points, both. :)

Bob Patrick
9-Oct-2015, 20:56
Just ask Glazers who they use. A leaf shutter repair is very basic work. Any camera repair shop can do it.

Tried Glazers first. They sent me to Phototronics, who advised me they won't even look at a LF shutter anymore.

Photojoe4
10-Oct-2015, 09:56
Bob,

We work on all sorts of leaf shutters, including Copal. Please feel free to contact us with any questions: repair@advancecamera.com or find us on the web at www.advancecamera.com

Regards,
Joe Martin

Doug Webb
10-Oct-2015, 11:55
I have used:

Frank Marshman
169 Pleasant Hill Road
Harrisonburg, VA 228015775
Phone: (540) 434-8133
Very satisfied with all of his work, never any problems with anything he did, very honest and easy for me to communicate with him, he is busy because he is very good, turn around time still very reasonable to me.
Price? It seemed to be reasonable to me.
Getting another used shutter instead of doing a repair with a reliable person? I have tried that, sometimes that has "worked" sometimes not. When it did "work" I don't think it was that much cheaper, if in fact it was cheaper. When it did seem to "work" the replacement shutter didn't always hold up for long before needing a repair. When it didn't "work" it was more expensive. Getting a new shutter seems expensive to me.
"Repair" can mean a lot of things for a shutter. Frank can tell you if the shutter can be repaired after looking at it.

Good luck,
Doug