PDA

View Full Version : Shipping to Canada?

Drew Bedo
9-Oct-2015, 05:08
Someone wants to buy an item of mine. They live somewhere in Canada. The item will fit into a USPS flat-rate box ($17.50). What additional postage may be required (Yeah, I know this is really a question for the Post Office). If the package goes in the US Mail, what customes complications may there be?

The item is valued at <$50 without shipping if that matters.

Oren Grad
9-Oct-2015, 07:10
Try the USPS postage calculator:

http://postcalc.usps.com/

diversey
9-Oct-2015, 07:43
You need fill out a custom form and declare the value and items inside the package. If you have a USPS account, you can choose the international shipping service you like and print out the custom declare form and postage label, or go to post office to do it. It should not have any complications.

Pierre 2
9-Oct-2015, 08:25
Custom declaration is a green large stamp sized sticker that will be stuck to the box at the post office - most easy to fill out. USPS will save your customer custom clearing fees that he would be charged by UPS & others for regular service (and those charges would likely be more than the item value so... USPS is indeed the way to go.

koh303
9-Oct-2015, 08:34
Custom declaration is a green large stamp sized sticker that will be stuck to the box at the post office - most easy to fill out. USPS will save your customer custom clearing fees that he would be charged by UPS & others for regular service (and those charges would likely be more than the item value so... USPS is indeed the way to go.

That is only for first class mail international, and is no longer the same in the US (there is a similar triplicate type form that produces that label).
All Priority mail flat rates are not the same:
FR Envelope
FR small box
Ship as first class mail international which comes as one single form signed when printed online

FR Medium and large box require a full priority mail international customs form (3 copies and one for sender), and must be placed in a pouch 2976e (most post offices have them and will give one when needed). You also should print and tape the actual sender/receiver address on a separate piece of paper and tape it to the box, as the customs may or may not be present upon delivery thus the box will have nothing on it at some point.

Also - the cost of FR to Canada is higher then it is inside the US. 17.50 does not sound like any FR cost when shipping to canada (the lowest being FR envelope/small box @ 20 or 21$).

adelorenzo
9-Oct-2015, 09:22
USPS offers flat rate boxes that have a special rate for Canada. I've had people ship that way to me before.

https://www.usps.com/international/priority-mail-international.htm

HMG
10-Oct-2015, 08:22
Very easy to calculate and print postage on the usps site. For most packages, you'll need the clear plastic envelope in which to put the printed documents.

FWIW, I've had great success shipping first class to Canada for items with low value and not a paypal "purchase". There is no insurance and theoretically no tracking. I say theoretically because I've found you can often track via the customs number.

koh303
10-Oct-2015, 08:31
Very easy to calculate and print postage on the usps site. For most packages, you'll need the clear plastic envelope in which to put the printed documents.

FWIW, I've had great success shipping first class to Canada for items with low value and not a paypal "purchase". There is no insurance and theoretically no tracking. I say theoretically because I've found you can often track via the customs number.

Canada is one of the countries with the E-DELCON condition, which means there is electronic delivery confirmation service on first class mail international parcels in those countries.

HMG
10-Oct-2015, 10:04
Canada is one of the countries with the E-DELCON condition, which means there is electronic delivery confirmation service on first class mail international parcels in those countries.

I didn't know it was part of broader program. Found this (http://pe.usps.com/text/imm/immc2_022.htm) with a list of countries.

Ginette
10-Oct-2015, 12:32

Yes, First Class with E-DELCON is perfect for small cheap items to Canada. These shipment arrived as fast as Priority Mail and I never had to pay any duty and taxes on First Class shipment. Same item by Priority may be stopped and taxes added and 10$ fees for the treatment.

Old-N-Feeble
10-Oct-2015, 15:28
I'm sorry but for $10 items I'm not going out of my way. If I had dozens of the same item... sure. But not one at a time.

koh303
10-Oct-2015, 17:48
I'm sorry but for $10 items I'm not going out of my way. If I had dozens of the same item... sure. But not one at a time.

?
You can print this type of shipping label on the USPS website.

Old-N-Feeble
10-Oct-2015, 18:34
?
You can print this type of shipping label on the USPS website.

I use the eBay/USPS shipping function. All I must do is click "print shipping label" then log into my PayPal account. Other than that, it's fully automated. If I use USPS' Click-n-Ship then I have to copy/paste the name and address line-by-line. True, it's not that much trouble but why should I bother when the eBay service is faster? For a $10 item I'll keep less than $7 and not much of that is profit, if any. Add the risk of returns... and taking any more time than necessary is just waste.

koh303
10-Oct-2015, 18:55
I use the eBay/USPS shipping function. All I must do is click "print shipping label" then log into my PayPal account. Other than that, it's fully automated. If I use USPS' Click-n-Ship then I have to copy/paste the name and address line-by-line. True, it's not that much trouble but why should I bother when the eBay service is faster? For a $10 item I'll keep less than $7 and not much of that is profit, if any. Add the risk of returns... and taking any more time than necessary is just waste.

You cannot print First class mail international labels through the paypal shipping consul, the lowest level you can do is a Priority mail flat rate envelope.

Ginette
10-Oct-2015, 19:22
This is bad that you cannot use this First Class with tracking directly in Paypal. This correspond to what they ask for: a tracking service.
Here in Canada I can ship via Paypal by a low cost Canada Post Small Packets Air and this is a non tracking service!
Is USPS want to eliminate the First Class International?
I received many small items via First Class E-Delcon from eBay, it means that sellers need a separate shipping system than Paypal?

Old-N-Feeble
10-Oct-2015, 20:17
You cannot print First class mail international labels through the paypal shipping consul, the lowest level you can do is a Priority mail flat rate envelope.

I sell nearly exclusively through eBay. If I sell outside eBay it's always something US$30 or more. Then if I need to use USPS Click-n-Ship, I do. I just don't do it for $10 items and it's not very often.

Ginette, perhaps eBay does that automatically without seller intervention??

Ginette
10-Oct-2015, 20:41
In fact on eBay - Paypal, the option "print shipping label" is not from them but from services by USPS and Canada Post.
What I means is this is non sense that Paypal suggest to seller to chose a tracking service for seller protection and then:
- USPS didn't list the First Class E-Delcon that have a tracking
- Canada Post offer many services without tracking!