PDA

View Full Version : Jobo 2509 Reel modified for 5x7?

David Aimone
4-Oct-2015, 14:22
I've searched and searched for this, and have found nothing, so here I ask.

I want to develop 5x7 film in my jobo tank on a beveler roller base, just like I do two reels of 4x5's in the jobo. I know you can't fit 5x7 into the 2509, but has anyone modified the 2509 to take 5x7?

It would seem to me that if you had an extra reel to sacrifice, you could take it apart and fashion some kind of extension tube between the two ends of the reel to set them 7" apart, instead of 4" apart. The 5x7" film would feed in sideways, thereby fitting nicely as the long side of the 4x5" film does. Of course you could only fit one reel in the tank instead of two...

Has anyone done this, or is there a reason I am not thinking of that it wouldn't work?

Lachlan 717
4-Oct-2015, 15:16
You can do 5x7" in the longer 2xxx drums. Two sheets in the sidewall ridges.

David Aimone
4-Oct-2015, 15:26
That's not exactly what I'm asking. I'm asking can the 2509 reel be modified for six sheets. It seems like a no-brainer, but since i haven't seen signs of it being done, I'm wondering if it's just been overlooked or if there's a good reason not to try it.

You can do 5x7" in the longer 2xxx drums. Two sheets in the sidewall ridges.

koh303
4-Oct-2015, 15:26
I've searched and searched for this, and have found nothing, so here I ask.

I want to develop 5x7 film in my jobo tank on a beveler roller base, just like I do two reels of 4x5's in the jobo. I know you can't fit 5x7 into the 2509, but has anyone modified the 2509 to take 5x7?

It would seem to me that if you had an extra reel to sacrifice, you could take it apart and fashion some kind of extension tube between the two ends of the reel to set them 7" apart, instead of 4" apart. The 5x7" film would feed in sideways, thereby fitting nicely as the long side of the 4x5" film does. Of course you could only fit one reel in the tank instead of two...

Has anyone done this, or is there a reason I am not thinking of that it wouldn't work?

doing that will result in a reel that is too big to fit in the smaller 2520 tank, thus must be used in the larger 2550 tank, and will require a min of 800ml or so. Assuming you could possibly load 6 sheets vertically on this reel, there will be nothing to keep the film from buckling and collapsing onto each other, thus leaving only the option to load them horizontally, meaning you could only load 3 sheets, but that does not even begin to consider the amount of modification to the reel channels to accept a sheet longer then 5 inches.

We did this when we designed the CL81 (http://www.catlabs.info/product/catlabs-cl81-an-8x10-sheet-film-processing-reel), and we did consider 5X7, there was just no placement for it. There is no direct fitting tank, and no standard feel that could have been used. The cost of R&D and bringing it to market only bearly paid for itself as the market is fairly small. It is possible that 5X7 is even a smaller market, being the "forgotten format" as my RIT professor used to say. Even if it were the same, the fact there is no tank to fit it and high "waste/cost" that would result from using a too large a tank would be, a least in my eyes a non viable project.

In short, as the 3006 drum is readily available and works beautifully, there is just no reason to spend that much energy on this project which does not have a compatible tank to match.

David Aimone
4-Oct-2015, 15:34
Well, it would fit in a 2550 tank that can take two 4x5 reels, and 800ml would be acceptable for rotary processing. You could only load them one way: the 5 inch side into the reel as that's all the capacity the reel has. The only risk I see is that it would be the 7" length from end to end in the reel, and that might allow for an increasing chance of buckling over the 4" length.

Frankly, the 3006 drums are too expensive. I'll stick with the taco method in a Paterson tank. I am interesting in using Pyrocat-MC with continuous rotation however.

doing that will result in a reel that is too big to fit in the smaller 2520 tank, thus must be used in the larger 2550 tank, and will require a min of 800ml or so. Assuming you could possibly load 6 sheets vertically on this reel, there will be nothing to keep the film from buckling and collapsing onto each other, thus leaving only the option to load them horizontally, meaning you could only load 3 sheets, but that does not even begin to consider the amount of modification to the reel channels to accept a sheet longer then 5 inches.

We did this when we designed the CL81 (http://www.catlabs.info/product/catlabs-cl81-an-8x10-sheet-film-processing-reel), and we did consider 5X7, there was just no placement for it. There is no direct fitting tank, and no standard feel that could have been used. The cost of R&D and bringing it to market only bearly paid for itself as the market is fairly small. It is possible that 5X7 is even a smaller market, being the "forgotten format" as my RIT professor used to say. Even if it were the same, the fact there is no tank to fit it and high "waste/cost" that would result from using a too large a tank would be, a least in my eyes a non viable project.

In short, as the 3006 drum is readily available and works beautifully, there is just no reason to spend that much energy on this project which does not have a compatible tank to match.

koh303
4-Oct-2015, 15:44
...The only risk I see is that it would be the 7" length from end to end in the reel, and that might allow for an increasing chance of buckling over the 4" length.
Its not an "increased chance" its a definite result. The outermost sheet might be held in place by the tanks wall, but may still slip out, the inner more reels will no doubt fall out of place.

But - even if you make a larger retainer panel, that also does not take into account the loading of such a reel - how would you keep the sheets from buckling during loading? The panels can only be installed after all sheets have been loaded.

Frankly, the 3006 drums are too expensive. I'll stick with the taco method in a Paterson tank. I am interesting in using Pyrocat-MC with continuous rotation however.

How much would the R&D for this product cost, or your time to make a "one-of" - who knows.

AuditorOne
4-Oct-2015, 18:49
I think the 3006 expert drum is an excellent solution for 5x7. Not very hard to spend $600 on a lens or some other accessory but seems very difficult to spend that much on a developing solution.

Of course, trays still work quite well. :)

koh303
5-Oct-2015, 05:35
I think the 3006 expert drum is an excellent solution for 5x7. Not very hard to spend $600 on a lens or some other accessory but seems very difficult to spend that much on a developing solution.

Of course, trays still work quite well. :)

+1

David Aimone
5-Oct-2015, 05:38
I'll have to save my pennies...

If I use a 3006 horizontally on a roller base, I'm reading I need a curved funnel to fill it? Can I not just take it off and pour solutions in vertically?

rfesk
5-Oct-2015, 05:50
You can just pour them in. Or, attach a hose of some sort to a common funnel. BTW, the 3006 drum does not complete a revolution on my Uniroller reversing
motor base. So it needs to be continuous rotation.

David Aimone
5-Oct-2015, 05:53
I do have motor bases that both alternate directions and do one direction. Will that work?

You can just pour them in. Or, attach a hose of some sort to a common funnel. BTW, the 3006 drum does not complete a revolution on my Uniroller reversing
motor base. So it needs to be continuous rotation.

koh303
5-Oct-2015, 06:24
It will work, though you do want at least one full revolution in any direction, or just run one direction.
You can fill with the tank upright, or if running a very short dev course, you can use a funnel if you want, but you will find its hard to show any density shift with or without doing that.

David Aimone
5-Oct-2015, 06:30
or if running a very short dev course, you can use a funnel if you want, but you will find its hard to show any density shift with or without doing that.

Not sure what you're saying there...

My continuous development is with Pyrocat-MC in a Jobo tank on a roller base for 4x5". I take it off the base to fill and empty. No problems so far, most development times are 8 to 12 minutes.

Valdecus
6-Oct-2015, 10:22
For developing 5x7" film I am using the Jobo 3006 on a simple Simma-roller. Taking it off the motor base and filling/refilling it works without any problems. Development is very even.

Cheers
Andreas

http://www.waldeck.com/img_aphog/AW_20150504X100S_9675_GF_Workshop_Develop1.jpg

Chuck Pere
11-Oct-2015, 07:08
I've seen this item on Ebay a couple times: http://www.ebay.com/itm/B-W-KING-5X7-Format-Stainless-Steel-Film-Developing-Tank-Install-6-film-/291567907188?hash=item43e2cd3174&nma=true&si=Dc2esCoi%252B7hnDZXLkHHyCUc2qNc%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

Maybe more will be available.

David Aimone
11-Oct-2015, 07:50
I messaged them on eBay and they told me the tank would leak horizontally on a roller base. :(

I've seen this item on Ebay a couple times: http://www.ebay.com/itm/B-W-KING-5X7-Format-Stainless-Steel-Film-Developing-Tank-Install-6-film-/291567907188?hash=item43e2cd3174&nma=true&si=Dc2esCoi%252B7hnDZXLkHHyCUc2qNc%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

Maybe more will be available.