PDA

View Full Version : how to use a filter set with a center filter?

dsrthorne
2-Oct-2015, 13:38
So I'm looking at the Schneider super-angulon xl 72 and associated center filter, and I see that the front threads are of a diameter small enough that you could get a typical lee 100mm filter set on there. But if you put the center filter from schneider on there, you can't. It goes from 95mm x 1.0 to 112mm x 1.5, which is incompatible.

So how do you use a filter set with a center filter if Schneider's gonna screw you like that?

Old-N-Feeble
2-Oct-2015, 13:44
Schneider isn't "screwing" us. Their center filters have larger front threads so you can add a filter on top of them without losing coverage due to vignetting caused by the front filter.

Corran
2-Oct-2015, 23:53
Well, unfortunately, you just need larger filters!

The cost of a big lens isn't just the lens itself...

Deval
3-Oct-2015, 03:57
I ended getting the center filter. It is enormous and worth it imo. I saw this from Lee but I'm sure it has some vignetting... But it also depends on what format you shoot. I might get it just to try it out.
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/149381-REG

Old-N-Feeble
3-Oct-2015, 08:11
There'a no point in buying an expensive lens with extreme coverage if you're going to use filters and adapters that vignette.:) You might as well buy a less pricey smaller lens. The smaller filters will cost less too.

dsphotog
3-Oct-2015, 14:33
Well, there are also gel filters.

Renato Tonelli
3-Oct-2015, 16:43
The Cokin X-Pro will fit up to 112mm; not sure about vignetting.

Lachlan 717
3-Oct-2015, 18:23
I use Cokin X Pro on my 72mm with CF.

Absolutely no issues with vignetting, even with 2 filters. I also have the Cokin X Pro Linear Pol. Again, no issues.

Also, not sure why you feel Schneider is screwing you. Are you suggesting that Schneider should design lenses based on your filter selections?

Mark Sawyer
3-Oct-2015, 18:48
What Old-N-Feeble said. There's a very good reason Schneider made 'em that way.

Lachlan 717
3-Oct-2015, 20:03
What Old-N-Feeble said. There's a very good reason Schneider made 'em that way.

I understand that (I have one as it is the widest lens for 6x17cm); I'm simply trying to work out that the OP meant by Schneider screwing him/her.

Old-N-Feeble
3-Oct-2015, 21:11
I understand that (I have one as it is the widest lens for 6x17cm); I'm simply trying to work out that the OP meant by Schneider screwing him/her.

Sometimes people write or say things out of frustration that they don't really mean.:)

Deval
4-Oct-2015, 10:36
I'll have to say that this one lens is my outlier as far as filter system is concerned... I still bit for it when making the choice. I get the frustration especially when a 75 grandagon plays nicely with others

Old-N-Feeble
4-Oct-2015, 10:41
Compromises are seldom all fun and often painful.

Lachlan 717
4-Oct-2015, 14:17
Seems the tail wags the dog for some of you...

Old-N-Feeble
4-Oct-2015, 14:30
Nah... we dogs are chasing our tails.

Lachlan 717
4-Oct-2015, 15:15
Nah... we dogs are chasing our tails.

Ha!

Let me re-para-phrase.

Seems some tails are chasing the dogs...

Old-N-Feeble
4-Oct-2015, 15:41
Nah... those annoying tails keep following us so we keep trying to give 'em a good bite so they'll leave us alone. Sometimes our hind legs bug us too... even trying to steal our chewing bones!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WoyO4L3StoU

It seems the OP has his answers so I'm participating in thread drift. Sorry if it's inappropriate.