PDA

View Full Version : Best Groundglass for Linhof Kardan????

HeinrichVoelkel
1-Oct-2015, 07:43
Dear LF friends, I tried searching for some options beyond the obvious original groundglass from Linhof. Steve Hopf seems to be out of business. Is there anybody with some experience regarding the Chinese Yanke products?

Thank you in advance.

Bob Salomon
1-Oct-2015, 08:35
Dear LF friends, I tried searching for some options beyond the obvious original groundglass from Linhof. Steve Hopf seems to be out of business. Is there anybody with some experience regarding the Chinese Yanke products?

Thank you in advance.
The current Linhof gg and Fresnel are much finer grained and brighter then the ones on older Linhof cameras.

karl french
1-Oct-2015, 08:47
Steve is still in business. He is making a 7x17 inch ground glass for me right now.

brucetaylor
1-Oct-2015, 23:20
I installed the Yanke gg and fresnel on my Linhof Color, really nice. A big improvement over the original.

HeinrichVoelkel
12-Oct-2015, 14:38
Steve is still in business. He is making a 7x17 inch ground glass for me right now.

How to get in touch with him? He got a website?

karl french
12-Oct-2015, 15:24
http://www.ebay.com/usr/photofixation?_trksid=p2047675.l2559

Jac@stafford.net
12-Oct-2015, 15:29
The finest grained ground glass might not be the best solution, depending upon your eyes, physiology. Search for Satin Snow for a GG that is no longer available and has a good reputation. I have a lot of Satin Snow 4x5 glass. It just did not work me better than stock Linhof. Your experience may differ.

Bob Salomon
12-Oct-2015, 16:17
The finest grained ground glass might not be the best solution, depending upon your eyes, physiology. Search for Satin Snow for a GG that is no longer available and has a good reputation. I have a lot of Satin Snow 4x5 glass. It just did not work me better than stock Linhof. Your experience may differ.

Again, what is a "stock Linhof" screen?

Linhof has been making ground glass focusing cameras for longer then most camera companies and all ground glass manufacturers have been in business. The current Linhof gg and Fresnels are very different from the older ones and are as bright as any others for lenses that are normally used for 45. And possibly cheaper!

Jac@stafford.net
13-Oct-2015, 15:27
Again, what is a "stock Linhof" screen?
You are the expert so you tell me. I have the gg that came with both my Linhof cameras. As I wrote for me they work better than finer ground gg. Too many variables here to claim what is best.

You can make all the comparisons you like based upon an undefined client/user. Share with us, if you can, the typical Linhof view camera user. Is he 25 years old as I was at the beginning or closer to 70 years as I am now?

Who in the world buys brand new Linhof view cameras today?

Bob Salomon
13-Oct-2015, 15:46
You are the expert so you tell me. I have the gg that came with both my Linhof cameras. As I wrote for me they work better than finer ground gg. Too many variables here to claim what is best.

You can make all the comparisons you like based upon an undefined client/user. Share with us, if you can, the typical Linhof view camera user. Is he 25 years old as I was at the beginning or closer to 70 years as I am now?

Who in the world buys brand new Linhof view cameras today?
I still don't know what cameras you have. If it is the Master Technika remember that it was introduced in 1976 and the gg then is quite different from the current one.

Average age? Mostly middle aged, 40s up. But 20 year olds have also bought them new.