PDA

View Full Version : Type of flash for Speed Graphic

Mike V Florida
29-Sep-2015, 12:54
You guys were so great in answering my flash bulb question I have full confidence that I'll get another answer here.

You may remember I'm the guy that has a 1930 Ford that displays things along with his car. I bought a pre anniversary graflex to show with the car. While I have come to the realization that I will never get a correct flash (damn SW geeks), I just feel the camera looks naked without a flash. Here is a picture of the flash mount already on the camera (it's mounted on the Kalart). Any idea what kind of flash was used on this camera?

Thanks in advance!

BrianShaw
29-Sep-2015, 15:38
I have no idea what kind of mount that is, but don't give up on the Graflite. They are plentiful and can be found at good prices if you're persistent.

choiliefan
29-Sep-2015, 15:53
That mount is for a Heiland.

Jac@stafford.net
29-Sep-2015, 18:06
That mount is for a Heiland.

And how lucky you are that the Star Wars fans don't go for them so they are affordable. Just be sure you get the correct mount.

Mike V Florida
30-Sep-2015, 04:19
Any one have a photo on the other end of the Heiland that goes to that mount?

choiliefan
30-Sep-2015, 05:10
Here's the Heiland mount you seek:
140429 140428

Bill_1856
30-Sep-2015, 07:27
Heiland was pretty much the standard high-end flash for pre-WW2 Speeds, before the Graflite was introduced for the Pacemaker. Heiland's solenoids were by far the most reliable, which was how most press photos were made.

Mike V Florida
30-Sep-2015, 13:38
Thanks for the picture. That will help me in my search.

Mark Sampson
1-Oct-2015, 09:46
Not that it matters, but remember that flashbulbs, and thus the flash units, were not introduced until 1932 or so. I'm sure press photographers drove Model A Fords for many years...

EdSawyer
1-Oct-2015, 11:10
If you are just looking for a flash for a speed/crown graphic, I probably have a spare one like that (not sure if it is Heiland or whatever brand) and possibly some bulbs. I don't think I will get around to using it, if there is any interest, I can certainly let it go.

Mike V Florida
2-Oct-2015, 10:59
If you are just looking for a flash for a speed/crown graphic, I probably have a spare one like that (not sure if it is Heiland or whatever brand) and possibly some bulbs. I don't think I will get around to using it, if there is any interest, I can certainly let it go.

Yes I would me in your debt! What do you need to know?

Mike V Florida
2-Oct-2015, 11:49
Not that it matters, but remember that flashbulbs, and thus the flash units, were not introduced until 1932 or so. I'm sure press photographers drove Model A Fords for many years...

this is a1930 Fordor Town Sedan. As you can see on the easel i have coins, stamps, drivers license, perscription for whiskey. on the front seat is a kodak vest pocket, a full size thompson air gun and a ferdora. Now a press camera, im going to ad a press tag in the fedora. you guys are GREAT I really mean it!

Bill_1856
2-Oct-2015, 14:35
1930. I don't think they had flash bulbs yet. Used magnesium flash-powder. Very smokey and very dangerous.

Jac@stafford.net
2-Oct-2015, 14:58
1930. I don't think they had flash bulbs yet. Used magnesium flash-powder. Very smokey and very dangerous.

The Germans did have flashbulbs in 1929, however the point made here is that an owner of a 1930 vehicle could have owned it for years later when flashbulbs were common in the USA. Now exactly which bulbs becomes a matter of interest. I think at the time they all had Edison/Mazda bases.

LabRat
2-Oct-2015, 18:39
Whatever flashholder you end up with, the mounting shoe/plate on the camera can be made/adapted easily, and would be covered when the flash is mounted on the camera, so don't let that stop you...

Good luck!!!!

Steve K