PDA

View Full Version : banding scanning dense 4"x5"

tor kviljo
17-Feb-2005, 02:21
I have a Polaroid Sprintscan that I use for MF & 4"x5". It is fast & easy to work with, but it does give banding in direction of travel in very dark areas of the image (typical shadow-areas, dense trannies). Last week I removed the main cover, cleaned the light-source, the main surface-silvered mirror & the ajacent glass rod (which is used for guiding light for calibrating I assume?). Same scanning-result. Then opened up imager-unit & viped the surface of the CCD censor + peered through lens to chech that it were all clean. No better images. Finally disconnected the other SCSI units on the chain, running the Sprintscan as the only SCSI unit & with a pass-through type scsi terminator. Still banding apparent. No difference in banding when swiching from 2000 (max. opt. res.) to 1000 dpi. Scanner-is connected to a PC running win 98SE. I scan using Polaroid Insight software (I don't have the dongle for the Binuscan software which also came with the scanner, so I don't manage to test with this software, even if I belive it could be made to run as plug in in PS 7 without dongle (any thoughts?)). Images is better if I swich off auto exposure and lighten the image using curves in PS7 instead, but this is not a perfect solution. Anyone have ideas on how to solve this?. I hope to have a scanview scanner up & working within soon, but I would like to continue to use the sprintscan as fast scanner for images where max- resolution is not needed, so I would very much like to fix this problem, as many of my trannies inklude very dark areas.

julian_4860
17-Feb-2005, 02:50
Tor, there were two versions of this scanner and the initial model had this problem. There was an upgrade to solve it which could be retrofitted to the earlier model

tor kviljo
18-Feb-2005, 10:28
Thank You, Julian. I have sent request to Microtek, international & UK support - I hope they don't turn it down just because the unit is labeled Polaroid! By the way - do You know what the upgrade consisted of? - were it firmware upgrade, driver or some hardware stuff?

julian_4860
18-Feb-2005, 11:16
Sorry Tor, I can't remember, but as the improvement was also given a new model number, I'm guessing firmware and hardware.