PDA

View Full Version : 58mm Super Angulon XL and Lee Filters

Dan Baumbach
16-Feb-2005, 10:38
I recently purchased a Super Angulon 58mm XL for my Canham 45 DLC. I've discovered that when using the lens with a center filter and a Lee filter holder that I'm getting vignetting.

Lee has a slip on filter holder that will help solve the problem but I often use two filters when shooting and I'm wondering if the slip on filter holder with two filter slots will also cause vignetting.

Does anyone here have any experience with this?

Thanks in advance for your answers.

Tom Westbrook
16-Feb-2005, 12:02
Do you mean the 100mm slip on holder: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=productlist&A=details&Q=&sku=162980&is=REG

Or the rubber band "Gel Snap" holder : http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=productlist&A=details&Q=&sku=162544&is=REG

Or maybe some other that I've never heard of? The two above slip on the outside of lenses. The Gel Snap will only accomodate 4x4 filters, I believe. Either would probably be OK since you're lens has a 67mm filter thread (you'd obviously need a step-up ring for the 100mm holder).

Also, what type of filters are you going to be using with it?

Dan Baumbach
16-Feb-2005, 12:25
I'm talking about the 100mm slip on holder and the adapter for 86mm to 100mm. The center filter that I'm using has an 86mm thread. That setup and a standard 86mm adapter and Lee Holder with three filter slots cause vignetting.

I'm looking for a setup for the 58mm XL and the center filter that won't cause vignetting. I'm hoping that the 100mm Lee slip on holder will do the trick but I wan't to use it with 2 filter slots and before I send $200 US or more to Robert White to buy it, I want to know that it will solve the vignetting problem.

I do a lot of photography at the ocean often with a 2 stop hard and 2-3 stop soft filters.

- Dan.

Michael Mutmansky
16-Feb-2005, 13:08
Dan,

What type of vignetting are you getting? There are two types that may occur:

1. a bit at the corners in a 'round' configuration
2. a linear amount on the long sides of the image

The first type is caused by the adapter ring. The second type is caused by the filter holder structure.

It may be possible that you have both, but one is covering the other a little. I would suggest you determine what is vignetting first, and then you can determine if the slip-on adapter will help you.

If it is a straight line vignette, you might want to determine how many filter layers will actually not vignette, that may help you determine if you have the room to make it work with the adapter.

---Michael

Barry Wilkinson
16-Feb-2005, 14:25
Hi Dan,

I'm a little puzzled as to how you fit the 100mm slip-on filter holder to the 58mm SA XL. I have one of these holders for my 90 SA XL. I just had a look at the spec on your lens and found that the outer front lens ring is 70mm. The Lee holder is designed to grip an outer lens ring of 100mm, I don't think an it would grip on to an adapter very well.

Am I misunderstanding you?

Barry

Edwin B.
16-Feb-2005, 14:50
The slip-on holder is mated with the smaller diameter of the center filter using a donut spacer.

I have used this configuration with a holder with one filter slot and the 105mm screw-in filter ring and get no vignetting. I've been meaning to test it with two slots but I hardly ever find myself using the lens so I've had low motivation. I'll make an effort to try it out this weekend.

Dan Baumbach
16-Feb-2005, 14:55
Edwin,

Thank you. I guess you have to have the setup already to know what I'm talking about. I'll look forward to your post after your testing.

- Dan.

Doug Dolde
16-Feb-2005, 18:55
Maybe you could get an 86mm adapter made in the WIDE version. Grimes ought to be able to do this so you can set the filters as far back as possible.

Jon_2416
16-Feb-2005, 20:21
Hi,

I had SK Grimes make me a filter holder for my 58mm SA XL and center filter. Drop me a line and I'll send you a photo of it.

Jon

Richard Schlesinger
16-Feb-2005, 20:47
I'm having a similar problem with a 65mm Grandagon - it uses 58mm screw in filters. At first I tried a step up ring to use 67mm filters, but it stuck out too far and vignettes. I am about to purchase a Lee gel snap holder, and use their plastic filters; I'm hoping this will hold the filter flush against the front rim of the lens so I can get what little movement is available w/out vignetting. I didn't know that a 58mm SA would cover 4X5. Sounds really interesting.

Daniel Geiger
17-Feb-2005, 14:38
There are Lee adapter rings that are for WA lenses. It is a bit like a slim version of a regular screw in filter. You may get the filter holder about 5 mm closer to the lens. On my 35 mm system I use a 82 mm slim for the 21 mm Distagon and it works great.

see the Lee home page for more details.

Daniel

Eric Leppanen
17-Feb-2005, 17:48
Dan,

I own and have tested the set-up you are considering (SA58XL lens with Schneider #3b center filter attached; Lee FK100 slip-on filter holder with two 2mm slots; Lee FKD100/90 "doughnut" converter ring).

When centered on the image circle, there is no vignetting. When positioned with the maximum amount of front rise per the rated image circle (roughly 8mm in portrait orientation, per the LF photography web site's lens tables), there is still no vignetting. While I did not test with tilt, I presume that the maximum front rise test proves that the filter holder is not a limiting factor within the rated image circle.

Dan Baumbach
17-Feb-2005, 17:55
Eric,

Thank you very much. I love this lens and I'd like to make it work for me.

- Dan.

Doug Dolde
9-Mar-2005, 15:15
I just got an answer from Lee on this problem:

If you measure the outside diameter of the center filter, we can make a custom slip-on holder to that diameter. Price is $215, and it takes a month to make. We've done these for many other center filter users.

John Adler
LEE Filters USA
(800)576-5055

Dan Baumbach
9-Mar-2005, 16:14
Thanks, Doug. I already contacted S.K. Grimes and they're doing one for me for $175. I had to mail them the center filter first but at least I'll know that it will fit.

- Dan.