PDA

View Full Version : Explain Technika Lenshade System?

Frank Petronio
16-Feb-2005, 07:11
Can anyone explain the history and practical use of the Linhof Universal Lenshades in their various sizes and variations? I see them on eBay from time to time, and their drop in filters and compact size look nice. Are they practical?

I have lenses with 40.5, 49, and maybe 67mm filters that I'd like to use.

Bob Salomon
16-Feb-2005, 07:45
First they are no longer made so a continuing supply of the 70mm drop-in filters that Heliopan made for Linhof is no longer assured. Secondly they mount via a clamp-on arrangement that accepts various slip-in reducers to change size. These reducers are no longer made and the hood will not fit larger diameter lenses then 70mm outside diameter. The complete system of adapters allowed it to also fit 60, 51 and 42 mm diameter lenses only. Next, to use it on a wide angle lens there was a special adapter so you would not vignette. This is also no longer made.

Lastly this is a lens hood. Linhof also sells Heliopan screw-in rubber hoods. This is not a compendium nor is it as useful on a view camera as a compendium.

We do still have some of the 70mm drop-in filters in stock should you decide that you have to have the Lenshade with filter holder.

David A. Goldfarb
16-Feb-2005, 08:13
I have it, and if you can find a set with a range of filters and all 3 adapters, it's handy and quick to operate, and there are no issues of cross threading or stuck filters. I also have a Linhof compendium, and you can use the filter holder without the plastic shade and the compendium together, so they are not mutually exclusive (just as there is nothing to stop you from using screw-in filters with the compendium shade). I tend to prefer the compendium in the studio or with groundglass focusing or with odd-sized lenses, and the 70mm hood/shade system for handheld rangefinder use, since it's less awkward than a compendium.

Lenses with a 40.5mm filter thread take the 42mm adapter, 49mm filter thread takes the 51mm adapter, 58mm thread goes with the 60mm adapter, and 67mm thread goes with the 70mm holder without an adapter.

I also have a 42mm version of the clamp on shade with a set of filters and a nice leather case that Linhof made for this set in the 1950s. You can often find these sets for under $100, and I use that sometimes with my Gowland PocketView 4x5" and a couple of small lenses when I want to travel light.

David A. Goldfarb
16-Feb-2005, 08:22
PS: If a polarizer is essential to you, check the price on polarizers in the 70mm drop-in mount before getting involved.

J. P. Mose
16-Feb-2005, 12:50
Frank,

These appear on Ebay all the time (also in mint condition quite frequently). Besides the hood listed above (uses 70mm slip-in filters), there was a smaller version (discontinued in the 1960's) that looks almost identical. It uses 51mm slip-in filters. Here is an example:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=15247&item=3875034897

In the 1950's (and earlier) there were metal hoods with slip in filters. Note the following example:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=15247&item=3875036430

I have the latest version with the various reducers and filters. I find it to be easy to use. I also have some of the Heliopan screw-in rubber shades (a 77mm for my 250mm Sonnar and a 95mm for my 75mm Biogon). They are still as good as new.