PDA

View Full Version : Photography in Glen Canyon

Duane Polcou
16-Feb-2005, 00:50
I've always admired Eliot Porter's LF work in "The Place No One Knew, Glen Canyon", but thought scenes such as those captured were forever lost under Lake (Reservoir) Powell. Due to a prolonged drought, the lake level is at it's lowest point in 40 years, revealing such treaures as Music Temple and Cathedral in the Desert. I'm seriously considering taking a photo trip there. Has anyone visited Glen Canyon recently, and how would you describe the overall accessibility?

Juergen Sattler
16-Feb-2005, 06:28
I was there last year in Mai and was shocked how low Lake Powel is - they say if the drought lasts another 7 years, Lake Powell will be dry again - I guesss nature taking back what man tried to steal. The area is spectacular and there are indeed many Canyons and butes that have not been accessible for a long time. Your best bet would be to rent a boat and talk to a ranger to find out which areas have emerged from the depths. Also make sure you know where you need a permit - much of the land is owned by Native Americans and you must get a permit to access it.

While you are there, don't forget a trip to "The Wave" - of course you need to get a permit for that too, but with a little luck you might just be one of the 12 people chosen daily to gain access - it's worth the trip alone.

Juergen

Frank Petronio
16-Feb-2005, 06:52
Are there any contemporary online portfolios of Glen Canyon at this low level? I'd love to see what I'm missing.

Ted Harris
16-Feb-2005, 08:55
I don't know about online portfolios but you can see a lot of what Glen Canyon looked like before it was damed and also as the dam was filling on videotape. About a decade ago PBS did a four part documentary based on Marc Reisner's book "Cadillac Desert" the entire foru part series is fascinating but the material you want on Glen Canyon is largel on the second tape. The tapes are readily available new and sometimes come up at auction used. You can get them from Amazon. If you have no luck drop me a note and I will see if I can make Quicktime clip of jsut the Glen Canyon material but it will be several months before I can do it.

Guy Tal
16-Feb-2005, 09:25
I have made several trips to the lower canyons of the Escalante to places that used to be under the "lake" - it's pure magic. You can see some images on my web site (Scenic Wild Photography (http://www.scenicwild.com) - click on "Gallery", then search the database for "Escalante").

Guy

QT Luong
16-Feb-2005, 16:38
The current issue of National Geographic Adventure has a feature about the newly re-exposed lands in the Glenn Canyon, with a couple of photos showing the dramatic difference.

Duane Polcou
17-Feb-2005, 17:37
Thanks to all for your recommendations.
QT - I just picked up the Nat'l Geo. Adventure. It even has a map!!

Richard Bullough
14-Dec-2006, 16:58
I also admire the images of Glen Canyon by Eliot Porter and Philip Hyde. They were leaders in color photography of the Colorado Plateau. I have a few images from the drought years in Glen Canyon posted on my portfolio. The three image titles and the site address are below. All are of places that are now under water again.

"Canyon Rock"
"Cathedral in the Desert"
"Glowing Alcove"

http://www.photoportfolios.net/portfolio/pf.cgi?a=up&pi=RCBULLOUGHPHOTO

Richard Bullough
26-Sep-2007, 14:27
Just a heads up: Lake Powell is dropping again and is right now at 3601 feet. The Cathedral and other wonders are beginning to be exposed again!

Richard Bullough Photography
www.members.photoportfolios.net/rcbulloughphoto

Duane Polcou
26-Sep-2007, 23:15
Thank you Richard. As I have yet to make this trip and missed the ultra-low water level of 2005, I routinely visit the Lake Powell water database website. Since graphs indicate the lake level bottoms out April 1-15, I'm hoping to make it to Glen Canyon 4/08. Your shots on photoportfolios are absolutely first class.

Greg Lockrey
27-Sep-2007, 00:55
I have made several trips to the lower canyons of the Escalante to places that used to be under the "lake" - it's pure magic. You can see some images on my web site (Scenic Wild Photography (http://www.scenicwild.com) - click on "Gallery", then search the database for "Escalante").

Guy

I'm impressed. I just imagined all the hiking you have done to get those images, made my legs tired. :) Well done and a great site too.

Richard Bullough
7-Nov-2007, 12:21
Unfortunately, my enthusiasm for the dropping levels of Glen Canyon Reservoir may have been premature. There has been a fair amount of rain in southern Utah of late and the levels have stabilized. It still has to drop about another 40 feet for the floor of Cathedral in the Desert to be exposed.

Richard Bullough Photography

http://members.photoportfolios.net/rcbulloughphoto