PDA

View Full Version : Jobo Film Changing Tent

Chris Partti
1-Sep-1999, 14:49
I'm in the market for a changing tent large enough for 8x10. Contributors to an earlier discussion on this forum uniformly praised the Harrison tents and trash ed the Photoflex tent. Unfortunately, the large Harrison is pretty expensive. B&H carries a Jobo Film Changing Tent which appears to be big enough to handle 8 x10 and costs only $150, but I haven't seen it mentioned anywhere else (I can't even find a description of it on the Jobo web site). Anyone have any experience with this item?

Bill Glickman
1-Sep-1999, 15:44
I have the Harrison large tent made for 8x10. It is good, not great but barely has room to manipulate 8x10. If you have room, consider a 11x14 tent, that few extra inches makes a huge difference. I have tried a few other tents and the Harrison design is slightly better, plus I like the reflective coating they uses as well as the elastic that goes over your arm, very light tight, and not bad for length if you are tall. If you are going to the photo show in NY, Photo expo East, you can try them all out! good luck.

MTHOMPSON_162
1-Sep-1999, 21:21
I have the "Origional Harrison Film Changing Tent" specified for 8X10, and am very happy with it. I used it on the road, and it has plenty of room for holders and a box for film, Calumet has it for $199.95, only $50. more than the one you are looking at. I tried the 4x5 first and there is no way it would work for 8X10, so I sent it back and got the right one. (Calumet promptly refunded my money and sent me the new one.) Don't skimp, find one that you can use COMFORTABLY. I can't think of anything worse that taking a load of 8X10 negatives and having all of them ruined with crimp marks from using to small a bag. If an extra $50 at this point is too much, it only gets worse. Wait until someone demos a 150mm f5.6 Schneider Super-Symmar XL on a Canham 8x10 for you. True story, it happened to me in Phoenix on vacation. Well, something else to put on the old wish list.......

James Chow
2-Sep-1999, 04:36
In Japan, we don't have changing tents, just changing bags. They're cheap ($26 for 4x5, by Hakuba, I think) and they do the job. It's what all the LF guys here use. They also have an 8x10 size. I think the most expensive model sold here (by Hama) is around $70. $150 for a changing tent...that's ludicrous. :-)

Chris Hansen
6-Sep-1999, 02:05
I just started shooting 4x5 again after a 20 year hiatus and I can't really afford a changing tent. So I just made a box that folds flat and can be erected inside the changing bag. It works pretty darn well. I haven't tried a changing tent yet. I'm sure the work well but this might help someone on a budget like me C