PDA

View Full Version : Graflex Pacemaker Speed Graphic (1947)

Jbuck
17-Sep-2015, 11:11
im about to buy a Peacemaker and i was just wondering what an ok price is just for the body if its in mint condition with all parts working perfectly.

The camera has a shutter but just to be sure,is this the one model which allows you to use lenses like Aero Ektar, Petzvals and other old barrel lenses?

what is the longest lens a Peacemaker can take?

is there anything special that i should double check on the camera before buying it?

thanks alot!

DrTang
17-Sep-2015, 11:16
45 long I think

jp
17-Sep-2015, 11:46
Pacemaker 4x5 is commonly used for that. I like the anniversary model for more shutter speeds and a bigger lensboard, but they are both useful. For prices, Check conpleted auctions on ebay, knowing many of them probably don't function close to 100%

RSalles
17-Sep-2015, 12:18
All the "Speed" Graflex cameras has a built-in focal plane shutter, any model including "Speed" in the model name will be fine for use with barrel lenses or other without shutters,

Cheers,

Renato

Jbuck
17-Sep-2015, 12:32
thanks! anything special i should be aware of while testing it?

Mark Sampson
17-Sep-2015, 12:39
Go to graflex.org for a bunch of useful information on your camera; also see skgrimes.com for examples of SG's converted to use Aero-Ektars.

Tony Lakin
17-Sep-2015, 12:40
thanks! anything special i should be aware of while testing it?

I believe it may have a hell of a recoil:D

Jim C.
17-Sep-2015, 13:15
I believe it may have a hell of a recoil:D

And don't aim it at anyone or flail it about in public..;)

All joking aside, since you're about to buy a PACEmaker Speed Graphic camera
make sure the shutter curtain of the focal plane shutter is not dried out, and
that it has a graflock back.
I'd look for a Anniversary Graphic, as jp said it has a bigger lens board which would
allow you to use larger lenses, and the lens board for a Anniversary is easier to DIY
than a Pacemaker/Crown graphic lens board which are stamped aluminum.

mjork
17-Sep-2015, 13:46
Check that you are buying the 4x5 version and not one of the smaller ones (2x3, 3x4) ...

Lachlan 717
17-Sep-2015, 14:34
All the "Speed" Graflex cameras has a built-in focal plane shutter, any model including "Speed" in the model name will be fine for use with barrel lenses or other without shutters

Not true.

The Super Speed Graphic does NOT have the focal plane shutter.

RSalles
17-Sep-2015, 16:00
Lachlan,

My source:

Graflex.org
http://graflex.org/speed-graphic/features.html#FocalPlane

The information is "not true"? Blame them, i'm just "selling the fish as I bought" (OMG, does this makes any sense in English?)

Otherwise, thanks for the info, as I didn't know that,

Best,

Renato

Jbuck
18-Sep-2015, 03:25
i have some more quick question, i dont wanna make a mistake (again) buying a wrong camera again..so,
what is the largest diameter of a lens i could use on a peacemaker? what size is the lens board?
and isnt it that the anniversary model has a spring back and no international back?

my main aim getting this camera would be using old lenses

thanks!!

IanG
18-Sep-2015, 03:42
i have some more quick question, i dont wanna make a mistake (again) buying a wrong camera again..so,
what is the largest diameter of a lens i could use on a peacemaker? what size is the lens board?
and isnt it that the anniversary model has a spring back and no international back?

my main aim getting this camera would be using old lenses

thanks!!

I use a 17" telephoto on a Pacemaker Speed Graphic, you'd struggle with a 12"300mm normal LF lens.

The boards are approx 82mm x80mm in size. The Anniversary model has no front tilt and a spring back unless retro fitted later. Not all Pacemaker Speed Graphics have Graflock backs either, even quite late production.

Lachlan,

My source:

Graflex.org
http://graflex.org/speed-graphic/features.html#FocalPlane

The information is "not true"? Blame them, i'm just "selling the fish as I bought" (OMG, does this makes any sense in English?)

Otherwise, thanks for the info, as I didn't know that,

Best,

Renato

You neded to read the source you linked to :D "The Crown Graphic, Century Graphic, Super Graphic, and Super Speed Graphic models all lack the focal plane shutter (though the Super Speed Graphic does have a 1/1000s between-the-lens shutter.)"

Ian

RSalles
18-Sep-2015, 05:37
You're right Ian, better to take very close attention to a model line instead of trusting the plain logical power of the sentences:

In the same page we find:

"The name "Speed" in Speed Graphic comes from the 1/1000s shutter speed offered by its focal-plane shutter."

"The Crown Graphic, Century Graphic, Super Graphic, and "Super Speed Graphic" models all lack the focal plane shutter".

I would add this: "until the moment when you fit a barrel lens in the Super Speed Graphic and you'll have a camera with no shutter at all.

:)

Cheers,

Renato

BrianShaw
18-Sep-2015, 05:54
You're correct Renato, there is an inconsistent statement there. I think that sentence came from Graflex marketing material prior to the Super Graphic era. It once was completely true but now only true if one mentions the single exception.

EdSawyer
18-Sep-2015, 05:55
Check that the rangefinder (Kalart) works well, if you want to shoot handheld with the Aero Ektar. Agreed re: checking the shutter curtain and the graflok back. A nice pacemaker speed like that in 100% functional shape and in 90%+ condition would bring $400-500 I'd think.

Jim Jones
18-Sep-2015, 07:07
Parts are interchangeable between many models of Graflex cameras. For example, you may find a Graflok back or a Pacemaker front standard and rails fitted to an old Anniversary model. Ebay sellers occasionally don't even get the film size or models right, let alone notice such changes.

The Pacemaker series of 4x5 cameras uses a stamped aluminum lens board about 94mm wide and 93mm high. I've made fairly accurate replicas of these boards, although it is a nuisance. It is easier to use a flat board cut from 1/32" aluminum, and improvise a light trap of wood, foam core, or felt on the back of the board. The Anniversary model used the once popular 4" square board that can be milled down from or built up from plywood, MDF, Masonite, or, for temporary use, even foam core. A few other 4x5 press cameras such as Busch and Meridian used proprietary lens boards which are more difficult to improvise.

Something to watch for when buying an Anniversary model is a Graflex back. This back was commonly used on the big reflex cameras. Some photographers also had Anniversary models with these backs for standardization. The modern (and nearly universal) Graphic holders will not fit the Graflex backs.

Like others, I recommend an Anniversary model for using old lenses without shutters. A machinist can fabricate aluminum lens boards threaded to accept most old lenses. If you must use front tilts and swings, a front standard from the Pacemaker series can be modified and installed. I also recommend Graphic Graflex Photography by Morgan and Lester. All early editions cover the Anniversary model. The 8th edition of 1947 includes the early versions of the Pacemaker series. Online booksellers usually have these.

Jbuck
18-Sep-2015, 09:53
thanks alot, but im still abit confused from this:

1. so the anniversary model has larger lens boards which would also accept larger and fatter lenses, but does the 10mm difference compared to the peacemaker make much difference on the old lens market? are there alot of lenses who would fit the anniversary but not the peacemaker?

2. what also confused me is, ...so the anniversary doesn't have a graflok back, it has either spring or graflex? but you can addpot a graflok back to it, right?
does graflex and spring backs accept normal 4x5 or 9x12 film holders, or the Polaroid 545 holder or the Polaroid 405 like the graflok back does?

3. Anniversary dosnt have tilt right? so if adopting the peacemaker front standard to a Anniversary im again back at the point of having a bit smaller lensboard, right?

my problem was as a newbie LFist i bought a shen hao and now i see all this beautiful shutter less lenses like the petzvals, tessars, wollensacks, delmeyers, aerio ektars...
so now i see and realize why everybody loves the Speed Graphics!

thanks for all the help and time!

Jim C.
18-Sep-2015, 11:44
my problem was as a newbie LFist i bought a shen hao and now i see all this beautiful shutter less lenses like the petzvals, tessars, wollensacks, delmeyers, aerio ektars...

The focal plane shutter on Speed Graphics are very convenient but there will alway be a limitation
on SG's depending on the size and weight of the barrel lens you want to use.

There is no reason why you couldn't use barrel lenses on your Shen Hao, there are quite a few
threads in the forum here about adapting Packard shutters, and Luc shutters to barrel lenses.

Dustin McAmera
18-Sep-2015, 12:00
If you already have a camera with better movements than any of the Graphics, have you considered getting a before-the-lens shutter to mount on your lenses with the camera you have, instead of a whole new camera? (oops! Jim said it first!)

Another thing to consider is an SLR with a focal-plane shutter (perhaps a Graflex RB Super D: see the brochure for it at Camera Eccentric: http://www.cameraeccentric.com/html/info/graflex_16.html.
Several disadvantages: you wouldn't have movements other than front rise, and the depth of the body will stop you using very short lenses; but you can hand-hold a large-format camera with ground-glass focusing, instead of the RF of the Graphics. My SLR is a quarter-plate Ensign Reflex, more primitive than the RB Super D: I wish it had the automatic stop-down feature.

Jbuck
18-Sep-2015, 12:10
i would keep the shen hao, but i guess its easier and cheaper finding a good deal on speed graphic and barrel lenses than finding a before the lens shutter for each lens you wanna attach on the shen hao,
than is also the size of the board, shutter times if i wanna shoot f 3.5 with the before the lens shutter and the shen hao.. i think with the shen hao you are more limited with older lenses..

well i just came from MF to LF so there is ALOT i have to learn, but from what i have been reading the last month (i might be wrong) it would be cheaper and easier with the speed graphic option.

i was also considering buying a Pentacon 6 and somehow building a after the lens shutter from the Pentacons body :))

goamules
18-Sep-2015, 17:02
The problem with using your Aero Ektars and more so the Petzval designs is their size. To get a Petzval to cover 4x5, you'll need about a 7". But most came closer to 8", and are around F4. Trying to fit that on a 4" board will be difficult because the barrel will be about 3 or 3.5 inches around. And then there is the flange, which is another 1/4 inch on each side. You basically run out of lensboard before you get coverage, unless you go for a slower Petzval, around F6. And if you are using an F6 Petzval, you don't get the speed and effects they are known for. You might as well use an F4.5 Tessar, that has wider field of view.

Also, they are heavy cameras. Add a big lens, and you'll end up trying to hold a heavy beast still during shots. They work well on tripods, but then, why get a Speed Graphic with no movements for tripod work?

So you can see, the tradeoffs make using a Speed Graphic someone less than the ideal it seems.

jp
18-Sep-2015, 17:03
Here is my pre-anniversary speed graphic; has the same lens board shape/mounting as the anniversary. I made the wooden lensboards myself. Speeds are an ideal setup for barrel lenses. Here's l-r 210 trioplan, heliar, 7.25 verito, 190 reinhold wollaston meniscus, and aero ektar. 2nd pic has a 9" gundlach hyperion and the flange is bigger than the lensboard but that's OK since the lensboard sticks out a little beyond the front standard. I use it with a tripod to maintain composition/focus and really appreciate the high shutter speeds for shooting outdoors close to wide open.

I keep the lenses+boards either together in a fishing reel case, or transport each in a lens wrap when using them.

https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7440/13095725444_b8a33a45d2_c.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/kXe1VJ)IMG_20140311_194123 (https://flic.kr/p/kXe1VJ) by Jason Philbrook (https://www.flickr.com/photos/13759696@N02/), on Flickr

https://farm9.staticflickr.com/8615/15892971000_ed27fcd06a_c.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/qdpCzo)1221142036a (https://flic.kr/p/qdpCzo) by Jason Philbrook (https://www.flickr.com/photos/13759696@N02/), on Flickr

goamules
18-Sep-2015, 18:18
I stand corrected. You can put a pretty large lens on them. If you want to.

Jim Jones
18-Sep-2015, 18:43
thanks alot, but im still abit confused from this:

1. so the anniversary model has larger lens boards which would also accept larger and fatter lenses, but does the 10mm difference compared to the peacemaker make much difference on the old lens market? are there alot of lenses who would fit the anniversary but not the peacemaker?

One lens that fits more easily on an Anniversary is the popular Aero-Ektar. Those few extra mm won't make much difference for most lenses. Many newer lenses are designed to be mounted with retaining rings to thin boards. Older lenses often mount on flanges that can be screwed to thicker boards or bolted to thin boards. The flange can also be used as a retaining ring on thin boards.

2. what also confused me is, ...so the anniversary doesn't have a graflok back, it has either spring or graflex? but you can addpot a graflok back to it, right?
does graflex and spring backs accept normal 4x5 or 9x12 film holders, or the Polaroid 545 holder or the Polaroid 405 like the graflok back does?

The Graflex back accepts only Graflex accessories, severely limiting its versatility. I've mounted the Graflock back from later cameras to the Anniversary cameras. It's an easy task, but the Graflock viewfinder for the sports finder is too tall. I don't know which Polaroid holders mount on which backs.

3. Anniversary dosnt have tilt right? so if adopting the peacemaker front standard to a Anniversary im again back at the point of having a bit smaller lensboard, right?

No, you can retain the Anniversary frame when you mount a Pacemaker front standard to an Anniversary camera.

thanks for all the help and time!