PDA

View Full Version : Look for someone to make bellows

northcarolinajack
16-Sep-2015, 15:56
The best bellows I have purchased were from Custom Bellows in the UK. Just ask for a price and was told they are not accepting orders.
A friend that had made several bellows with no taper, made a taper bellows for me. It worked fine, but he does not want to make another.
I also know a fabric to produce a bellows can also be a problem. Having spent my life in the textile industry I had a friend that furnished me with three sample fabrics that I feel would work well. Two are cotton and the other a filament fabric. They are, of course, not light tight and would require a coating or paint to produce this condition.
Now, I am looking for someone that would make the bellows for me. I need now one for a 5x7 Kodak 2D, plus another for another Kodak 2D, but 8x10. I have samples for both.
It would be nice for this person to mount the bellows to the frames that I also have on hand.
Anyone who would have interest or know of someone who could do this, let me know.
Thanks and I look forward to hearing some good news.

Jack

Tin Can
16-Sep-2015, 16:24
Custom Bellows has stopped taking orders!

This is very bad news.

AtlantaTerry
16-Sep-2015, 18:33
Look on eBay. There are one or two folks on there who will make a bellows for you.

vinny
16-Sep-2015, 18:51
Rudy at ecboyonline2008 on ebay. Also search the other "bellows" threads as there have been several lately.

diversey
16-Sep-2015, 19:32
I am thinking to buy a bellow from ecbuyonline2008. How is the bellow? Quality?

vinny
16-Sep-2015, 20:24

Search his business name here or on apug. Lots of good things. Good service as well.

Peter De Smidt
16-Sep-2015, 20:26
Custom Bellows has stopped taking orders!

This is very bad news.

Yes, it is!

Bill_1856
16-Sep-2015, 20:37
http://www.manta.com/c/mm0hhct/jb-r-western-bellows-co made a very nice bellows last year for my Gandolfi Whole-Plate, at reasonable cost.

David Karp
16-Sep-2015, 21:13

Rudy's company made a 5x7 bellows for my ARCA Swiss monorail. I sent the bellows frames and he glued the bellows to them when it was finished. My bellows is red. I have another bellows for a different camera that was made by Western Bellows, and I have seen and handled cameras with bellows made by Custom Bellows. I have a hunch that the bellows on my Walker Titan were made by Custom Bellows.

The bellows from Rudy is of similar quality. It looks great, the pleats look good, and everything is just as I asked. The material is thicker and heavier weight than my other bellows, whether those on the cameras listed above, or the original ARCA 4x5 bellows. As a result, it is not as flexible as the other bellows. This is not an issue with my 5x7. It is capable of all the movements I need from my 135mm Fujinon W to my 450mm Fujinon C.

On top of all this, Rudy's communication was excellent. We corresponded until it was clear he understood my needs. He kept me up to date on progress and sent me a notice with tracking number when he shipped the product.

Here is a quick snap of the 5x7 ARCA with bellows.

David Karp
16-Sep-2015, 21:14
. . . Just ask for a price and was told they are not accepting orders. . . . .

No more orders, ever? Or no orders now, we are too busy and the backlog is too large? (Hoping for the latter.)

northcarolinajack
17-Sep-2015, 02:47
Don't know if why, but I doubt if the backlog is to large. I will contact again to get more info.

Jack

diversey
17-Sep-2015, 07:12
Will search more online. Thanks, David

Search his business name here or on apug. Lots of good things. Good service as well.

diversey
17-Sep-2015, 07:13
Thanks so much for your valuable hands-on information.

Rudy's company made a 5x7 bellows for my ARCA Swiss monorail. I sent the bellows frames and he glued the bellows to them when it was finished. My bellows is red. I have another bellows for a different camera that was made by Western Bellows, and I have seen and handled cameras with bellows made by Custom Bellows. I have a hunch that the bellows on my Walker Titan were made by Custom Bellows.

The bellows from Rudy is of similar quality. It looks great, the pleats look good, and everything is just as I asked. The material is thicker and heavier weight than my other bellows, whether those on the cameras listed above, or the original ARCA 4x5 bellows. As a result, it is not as flexible as the other bellows. This is not an issue with my 5x7. It is capable of all the movements I need from my 135mm Fujinon W to my 450mm Fujinon C.

On top of all this, Rudy's communication was excellent. We corresponded until it was clear he understood my needs. He kept me up to date on progress and sent me a notice with tracking number when he shipped the product.

Here is a quick snap of the 5x7 ARCA with bellows.

Barry Wilkinson
17-Sep-2015, 08:16
Hi,

I was somewhat concerned when I saw this thread. I live in the UK and contacted Camera Bellows earlier. Their response was...

Hi Barry
I can confirm we are still going strong, yes we manufacture for all major camera companies ... Like Canham Lotus Arca Linhof etc
It may be because the Bulldog Camera Kit site has not been updated since the old Camera Bellows were closed in 2008 and we started up as Custom Bellows in 2009, but I can assure you we are going strong and have no intention of shutting
Thank you for your interest
Best Regards
Keith Lowe

Phew!

They are now called Custom Bellows (http://www.custombellows.co.uk/)

Please note I have no connection with this company.

calibre61
17-Sep-2015, 08:47
Greetings from Custom Bellows Ltd
I would just like assure people we are still going strong and have no intention of closing the business, it's been going for over a 100 years would not dream of shutting the doors. There was a lull in business when Camera Bellows were closed in 2008, but we came back in 2009 under the name Custom Bellows admittedly on a smaller scale but still with the same materials and skills that have kept us going for so long. Strange how these rumours get started.....but they are not true.

neil poulsen
17-Sep-2015, 09:11
I agree. Thank goodness.

Peter De Smidt
17-Sep-2015, 09:26
Whew. That's great! I've been very happy with the bellows I've bought from Custom Bellows.

Bill_1856
17-Sep-2015, 13:40
Custom Bellows is good, but slow and very expensive.

Peter De Smidt
17-Sep-2015, 13:59
They haven't been slow for me. Recently they re-did some Century No. 7 8x10 bellows in a few weeks, including international shipping. The cost was reasonable.

Another time, I had them make me a bellows for a Technicka III. At that time they were the only bellows manufacturer I contacted that guaranteed that the camera would close normally with their bellows. The Tech III bellows had to be very compressible.

Over the years, they've made a lot of OEM bellows.

Tin Can
17-Sep-2015, 14:15
I am very glad to hear http://www.custombellows.co.uk/ remains and never was in danger of NOT being in business.

Rumours are dangerous folks. I plan to buy from them in the coming year, their reputation is sterling! :)

I posted their link as an apology for even considering the unthinkable.

BarryS
17-Sep-2015, 15:15
Custom bellows was fast for me and as for being expensive--the quality of the bellows is much better than the bellows from Rudy. Not every project may warrant Custom Bellows, but they remain the best money can buy.

diversey
17-Sep-2015, 15:49
People always say custom bellows makes good quality bellows and expensive. Could you show us the bellows from custom bellows and how expensive? What materials does custom bellows use? For example, how much for a Deardorff v8 bellow.

David Karp
17-Sep-2015, 16:06
Custom Bellows did a bellows for a project camera that someone is working on for me, so I have not seen the bellows yet. I don't have the price handy, but I remember thinking it was reasonable.

From what I have heard and from their bellows that I have seen, I believe they are the gold standard. If I could afford it, I would have them do any bellows I ever need. If you have seen one of the super, unbelievably, amazingly flexible Canham bellows, my understanding is that those are by Custom Bellows. They are really nice. You can see how the bellows compresses and extends and allows for movement in this review on the home page: http://www.largeformatphotography.info/canham/canhamdlc.html. This is the material that I asked them to use to make my project bellows. I can also say that they did the project quickly and shipped it to the USA for incorporation into my project. I don't know if anyone else uses this material. The material Western Bellows used seems close, but still not quite as flexible as the Custom Bellows material.

I purchased the bellows shown in my post above from Rudy because I had heard good things about his product and because it is what I could afford at the time. I think there is an important place for that in the market.

I am really happy that Custom Bellows is still around. I have an idea for a project I want them to do for me, and when I can afford it, I have a couple of bellows frames that I will be sending to them.

Paul Metcalf
17-Sep-2015, 16:16
My custom bellows from Camera Bellows (which I guess eventually became Custom Bellows) for my old Conley 8x10 cost £180 delivered (to the US) in March 2003. I sent them the front standard and rear frame (which nests inside the rear standard) which they glued to the bellows. I don't have a picture of it, but it looks like other really good bellows, black (and lined) and easily long enough for 450mm lens (probably 600mm). I sent the remnants of the old bellows too.

Peter De Smidt
17-Sep-2015, 18:25
The bellows for my Century 7a 8x10 was £198 + £25 for shipping. I sent them the old bellows frames. They attached the new bellows to them and sent them back.

BradS
17-Sep-2015, 21:18
I bought a bellows from them for an 8x10 Deardorff bellows a few years ago. It was made of a special light weight fabric - like the fabric used for the Canham bellows. I recall it cost something like $325 + shipping to the US. Time from order to bellows on doorstep was less than two weeks.

Neither expensive nor slow in my opinion!

William Whitaker
18-Sep-2015, 06:46
My last order with CB was last January (2015) for a replacement bellows for an 8x10 Sinar Norma. Custom Bellows had the job completed (according to my emails) one day after they received my bellows frames. Seriously. It was two weeks from ship to receipt that I had the new bellows on the camera. Nothing short of outstanding! Price was right at US$350, including shipping.

YMMV, but they get my vote (and my business) every time. So glad that the rumor (or rumour) was nothing more than just that!

Liquid Artist
19-Sep-2015, 04:21
I'm always amazed how affordable it is to have any bellows made for any camera I've seen by any company currently manufacturing them.

Yes I've heard that it isn't that hard to make them, but try pricing the cost of the fabric and there won't be much left for their labour costs.

Besides I can't picture most people here not getting some customizing done at the time.
I know that when I get one made for my B&J I'll have it made a little longer plus have it glued on.

seezee
23-Jan-2017, 12:04
http://www.manta.com/c/mm0hhct/jb-r-western-bellows-co made a very nice bellows last year for my Gandolfi Whole-Plate, at reasonable cost.

Just got off the phone with Jim Ormond at Western Bellows. He is out of business.

xkaes
23-Jan-2017, 13:22
Visit www.subclub.org/fujinon

DG 3313
23-Jan-2017, 15:28
I used a forum member for my new 5x7 bellows. I was happy with them and he was able to get them out fast. Postage was costly to the UK was my only rub.

www.sandehalynch.com or sandehalynch@yahoo.com

barnacle
25-Jan-2017, 10:12
I'm tossing up between Custom Bellows, ecbuyeronline from China, and trying to get Intrepid to sell me a set. It's for a new design so I can accommodate a (small) range of sizes.

Or I could make my own, of course...

Neil

domaz
25-Jan-2017, 11:25
For folks in the US it seems crazy to not choose Custom Bellows at this point. The USD is strong so cost isn't really a huge factor at the moment since they price things in UKP. For instance, they were the only ones I talked to who could properly make a Baby Deardorff (true 4x5 Deardorff) bellows that had the original specs of the camera (i.e. long extension bellows that could be folded down flat). Other makers didn't have the material to guarantee that.

seezee
25-Jan-2017, 11:36
For folks in the US it seems crazy to not choose Custom Bellows at this point. The USD is strong so cost isn't really a huge factor at the moment since they price things in UKP. For instance, they were the only ones I talked to who could properly make a Baby Deardorff (true 4x5 Deardorff) bellows that had the original specs of the camera (i.e. long extension bellows that could be folded down flat). Other makers didn't have the material to guarantee that.

I sent them a RFQ a couple of days ago, but have yet to hear back from them. Are they typically this slow to answer?

Luis-F-S
25-Jan-2017, 13:34
I'm tossing up between Custom Bellows, ecbuyeronline from China, and trying to get Intrepid to sell me a set.

If you're already in the UK, for me it's a no brainer. L

asf
25-Jan-2017, 13:37
I always use Custom Bellows

Communication is good, they don't answer right away every time but they do answer
and turnaround is fast

the current exchange rate helps too

angusparker
25-Jan-2017, 16:01
I always use Custom Bellows

Communication is good, they don't answer right away every time but they do answer
and turnaround is fast

the current exchange rate helps too

+1

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Luis-F-S
25-Jan-2017, 16:21
Custom Bellows has stopped taking orders.

Funny they made one for me a couple of months ago

Tin Can
25-Jan-2017, 22:36
I am very glad to hear http://www.custombellows.co.uk/ remains and never was in danger of NOT being in business.

Rumours are dangerous folks. I plan to buy from them in the coming year, their reputation is sterling! :)

I posted their link as an apology for even considering the unthinkable.

and here I posted a correction Mr Luis...post #20 in this thread, September 17, 2015.

and I did buy a very nice bellows from them in 2016

get the facts straight please :(

calibre61
26-Jan-2017, 01:00
Please send again as I have answered all emails to date .... To info@custombellows.co.uk
Thanks
Keith

Tin Can
26-Jan-2017, 05:59
I sent them a RFQ a couple of days ago, but have yet to hear back from them. Are they typically this slow to answer?

I found Custom Bellows to be quick to respond to my 2016 emails, quick to make my custom bellows to exactly my personal specifications and quick to ship. My new Custom Bellows are very nice.

I highly recommend Custom Bellows of England for all bellows and I will use them again.

They are a very valuable and rare resource.

seezee
26-Jan-2017, 11:28
I found Custom Bellows to be quick to respond to my 2016 emails, quick to make my custom bellows to exactly my personal specifications and quick to ship. My new Custom Bellows are very nice.

I highly recommend Custom Bellows of England for all bellows and I will use them again.

They are a very valuable and rare resource.

I got a reply today. About $80 – $100 more than ecbuyonline at eBay, and I have to send the bellows & frame to them. Still debating which maker to use.

Luis-F-S
26-Jan-2017, 11:37
You get what you pay for!

Tin Can
26-Jan-2017, 11:51
I got a reply today. About $80 – $100 more than ecbuyonline at eBay, and I have to send the bellows & frame to them. Still debating which maker to use.

When I bought an 11X14 bellows both suppliers were the same price delivered.

I used an online Bank Transfer to pay Custom Bellows.

seezee
26-Jan-2017, 12:33
You get what you pay for!

You don't have to tell me. I prefer to buy the best in hopes of never having to replace or upgrade (barring "planned obsolescence", e.g., anything by Apple). But I just had 4 tires put on my MINI, I'm installing a water pump Saturday, and I need new brakes. So it's either the cheaper bellows, or I wait a few months to restore the camera. Or I die in a fiery car crash driving to Austin to photograph some portraits for my project.

scm
26-Jan-2017, 12:57
For sure, you wouldn't want the bellows that those crummy cameras like the Chamonix and Shen Hao come with, would you?

Can you guess who makes the bellows for them? Hint: It's not Custom Bellows.

seezee
26-Jan-2017, 13:12
For sure, you wouldn't want the bellows that those crummy cameras like the Chamonix and Shen Hao come with, would you?

Can you guess who makes the bellows for them? Hint: It's not Custom Bellows.

Fair point. I don't think the price difference in this case can be attributed to quaility. Exchange rates, local labor costs, and value-added service (UK attaches the bellows to the frame, saving you a step) are more likely factors.

I have read, in this thread and others, that the UK bellows are a bit more supple. Considering the amount of compression a bellows will need to withstand on a Century Universal, that might be the deciding factor.