PDA

View Full Version : Speed Graphic Off The Rails !!

weegie1
15-Sep-2015, 17:55
The rails somehow got screwed up on mySpeed Graphic. They aren't bent. They are mechanically sound.

One of rails came off the slot on the distance marker side.

I'm afraid of screwing things up as I'm pretty much a klutz.

I would appreciate help or better still someone in Los Angeles area I can take the camera to to get it back on track for a trip I'm about take to Montana.

Tracy Storer
15-Sep-2015, 18:06
The rail that rolls forward and back "lives" in guides, two sets, one set in the folding bed and a short set inside the body.
Sometimes the body set gets damaged, but are replacable, make sure the focus is all the way in before folding to avoid damaging any rails or guides. This is general info.
NOW, your camera. Can you post an image? I believe the bed guides can be removed (carefully) with a screedriver of the right size. If nothing is damaged ( bed OR body) it should be a simple matter to remove the guides ( be careful on the right where the lock is, slip it on the rail, and replace screws.
Photos would help us help you.

weegie1
15-Sep-2015, 18:18

weegie1
15-Sep-2015, 18:30
I think its more complicated than just undoing the bed guides. I think its hung up further in. I don't want to damage the camera and would like to take to someone in the LA area if possible

LabRat
15-Sep-2015, 21:27
Check your PM box for LA Graflex service resource...

Steve K

Jim Jones
16-Sep-2015, 07:13
Tracy is right. I finally had time this morning to experiment on a SG. To fix yours, first the focusing scale must be removed from the bed guide. Beneath it and further down the guide are four screws that hold the guide to the bed. Remove them and you can replace the front rail in its groove. Replace the four screws and the focusing scale and everything should be normal again. When working on something like these rails, spread cloth on a tabletop so any tiny parts you may drop won't bounce or roll away.

BrianShaw
16-Sep-2015, 11:54
I'm not sure who LabRat/SteveK is recommending, but Steve Choi in Culver City (Steve's Camera Repair on Sepulveda near Venice) is where I'd go.

But having dealt with similar issue once before, the advise that Tracy and Jim give is consistent with my experience.

Michael Clark
16-Sep-2015, 16:15
I second for Steve's camera.