PDA

View Full Version : How Heavy Is Your Field Kit?

Drew Bedo
15-Sep-2015, 10:14
When you go out walking around with your gear . . .how much do you take and how much does it weigh?

When backpacking/hiking?

When walking around in an urban setting?

Jim Jones
15-Sep-2015, 10:19
For a short walk, an Anba Ikeda with a few lenses and film holders in a case is about 16 pounds.

Corran
15-Sep-2015, 10:39
Well, it depends, I don't have a set kit that I always carry. I pick and choose appropriately.

On the heavy side, my full backpack that I take on trips can fit my Chamonix 45n1 (or Linhof MT) as well as my Shen Hao 6x17 (or a 6x12 back instead). For lenses I'd usually have a spread of 47 or 58, and then 72 or 90, and definitely a 150, and then either a 300 or my Nikkor-T set with 360/500/720. Possibly add the 38mm if I'm shooting 6x12. And of course related film holders/filters/meters/etc. I think all total it's not more than 40-50 pounds.

For a midrange kit it's usually one of those cameras and 58/90/150 or possibly a slightly different 3-lens kit, occasionally 4 if I think I want a longer lens. This fits in a smaller backpack and is only 10-20 pounds depending.

If I want ultra-light, the bare minimum is just my camera and a 90mm of some sort and some film holders and filters (soon to be the TravelWide!). That can be under 10 pounds incl. tripod. I'll include a 58 or 65 sometimes and occasionally a small 150, like my G-Claron, which only adds a pound or two.

That's all for hiking. I don't have much of an "urban" setting but in a situation where I'm shooting handheld, I usually have my Linhof and a 150 (either APO Lanthar for small/light or Xenotar for low-light) along with sometimes my 90 and 250 with appropriate cams. If I'm going big I'll have my Tech IV with one of those lenses already on it as well. All that with film holders and filters is about 20 pounds. No tripod but sometimes I'll bring a monopod.

mathieu Bauwens
15-Sep-2015, 11:01
My kit is a chamonix 045F1 + 125 & 210mm Fujin lenses, 3 to 6 holders, sekonic , the darkcloth and a loupe, everything pack in my old lowepro backpack trekker AW, no more than 5 Kg.

Vaughn
15-Sep-2015, 11:02
About 60 pounds. Zone VI 8x10, 2 to 3 lenses, 5 to 7 holders, Ries A100/250. Add a little for food and water

Obviously I do not backpack with this set-up, but I do hike all day with it.

For backpacking, I take the 4x5, which for sanity reasons I do not weigh, but I am guessing 15-20 pounds. Calumet/Gowland Pocketview, one lens (150mm, Copal #0), old Gitzo reporter w/ Bogan 3-way head, darkcloth, 5 to 6 holders, changing bag, two film boxes. Lately I have reduced weight by not taking a separate pack for the 4x5 -- I carry it on the tripod over my shoulder and a small shoulder bag for holders and meter. My last trip, I did not have room in the pack for the camera/tripod, so I hiked in with the pack on and the tripod/camera over my shoulder. On the way out I had room for the camera inside the pack.

I have played with the idea of taking the 5x7 someday.

I am going backpacking this week...just two nights, so I will take 6 to 8 loaded holders (4x5) and no changing bag for one full day of photographing. I might toss in the Rolleicord also with a few rolls of B&W film.

Edited: probably not the Rollei, but it will be a last-minute decision...

cuypers1807
15-Sep-2015, 11:12
44 lbs.: Chamonix 8x10, 3 lenses, 4 holders, loupe, dark cloth, meter, aluminum tripod.
I have hiked up a small mountain with this set up (around 2.5 miles) but I was in good shape then.

BradS
15-Sep-2015, 12:58
My usual field kit consists of a LowePro Mini Trekker classic bag with a 4x5 field camera, two or three lenses (90mm, 135mm and 210mm) and a few of the usual other necessaries. This kit weighs around 12 pounds without a tripod. I guess the Berlebach 8043 adds around six pounds to that. If I'm planning a big day or am on an extended trip, I'll carry up to twelve film holders in a separate insulated bag. Otherwise, I just slip a few film holders in the outside pockets of the LowePro bag.

When traveling for work, I bring along the Crown Graphic with the stock 135mm Optar, a light meter, a few film holders, a box of film, an empty box to receive exposed film and a changing bag. I guess this all weighs around eight pounds or so but, I've never really checked. Everything except the film goes into my luggage.

I tend to leave the camera gear at home when backpacking.

Paul Metcalf
15-Sep-2015, 13:04
Too much AND not enough.

mdm
15-Sep-2015, 13:09
Mine is very light, but dont know what it weighs. 5x7 Nagaoka, black shirt, incident meter and some odds and ends in a photobackpacker zip up thing, a 210 in copal 1 and a f8 300 in copal 1, 4 holders in a cascading holder, all in a cheap and well worn Katmandu day pack. Plus a 3 section CF tripod with no head. DSLR kit would be worse. I want to enjoy my photography.

BarryS
15-Sep-2015, 13:50
For my current project, I've been carrying a Chamonix 8x10, 2-3 lenses, 3 or 6 holders in cascade pouches, Gitzo CF tripod, dark cloth, meter, loupe, ND filters, small notebook, water, snack--all in a Photobackpacker P3. I'm guessing around 45 pounds. I was seriously out of shape and overweight this past Spring and this kit tired me out quickly. Since then, I've dropped 30 pounds, swim every day, and even with 30 more pounds to lose--the kit is comfortable to carry. I have a medium waist belt on the way to replace the large on my P3. :)

Doremus Scudder
15-Sep-2015, 14:55
I've described my packing and backpacking kits a few times on this forum and others. No one really seems to be using my "system" much, but I'm still an advocate.

For day hikes (most of my photography) I wear a lumbar pack which contains a Wista DX, four lenses, two sets of six filters and a dark cloth strapped on the back. In pockets in my coat or in a fly-fishing vest (depending on the weather) is meter and accessories. six filmholders and another lens is in a pouch slung over my shoulder and I carry a lightweight tripod in my hand. Total - 24 pounds. Plus, my pack has a shoulder strap and never has to touch the ground. I can strap the tripod onto the back of the pack as well to free my hands for scrambling. I've been in some pretty rough terrain with all of this and it works superbly.

Details: Lumbar pack - Wista DX, 90mm SA f/8, 135mm plasmat (Nikkor or WF Ektar), 203mm Ektar f/7.7, 300mm Nikkor M and two sets of six filters in 52mm and 67mm size. (The "extra" lens, which I could do without, is a 240mm Fujinon A and lives with the filmholders.) Vest or coat pockets - Pentax spot meter, Voss filterholder with barn doors, lens cleaning brush, viewing filter, flashlight, cloth bucket, focusing glasses and loupe, etc. Film pouch - six filmholders, exposure record and the "extra" lens plus a few extra filters (Wratten 44, ND, etc.).

I could make this even lighter by leaving a lens and a filter set behind, but don't need to. I can hike in rough terrain all day with this (I do carry a bottle of water and often a sandwich with this kit as well).

Backpacking (which I do less of these days): Usually I'm packing with my wife, so we distribute the essentials between us. On top of that is my lumbar pack, strapped to my backpack, with camera, and small 90mm, 135mm and 240mm lenses. I take Mido holders on backpacking trips (they're a pain in the wazootie, leak light if you don't tape them, etc., but they're light). Also in the little pack are my Pentax meter and one set of filters. The tripod gets strapped to the main pack. I can take the lumbar pack out for day hikes from a base camp as well.

In Europe, where I do most of my "urban" work, I have a Woodman 4x5 and several lenses (90mm SA f/8, 134mm WF Ektar, 210 Fuji L, and 180mm and 240mm Fuji A lenses) plus a Pentax spot meter, two sets of six filters (52mm and 67mm), plus loupe, glasses, darkcloth and accessories. These live in a hybrid backpack/rolling carry-on pack that I can wear on my back when bicycling, but can roll when on the sidewalk. Lightweight tripod is strapped on the bike rack or in my hand. Again, this kit is pretty light (I'd guess 25 pounds tops).

My kits weigh a lot less than comparable MF kits simply because I choose to carry lightweight wooden cameras and small lenses along with a small tripod. The film is still 4x5 though and my lenses are all top quality, so the only compromises I'm really making are maximum apertures and movement limitations (which I can usually get around one way or the other). A small sacrifice for a lightweight kit.

My kit in action on the Oregon coast: http://doremusscudder.com/?m=9&s=40 Note that nothing ever touches the ground.

Best,

Doremus

Peter De Smidt
15-Sep-2015, 15:01
I use a Photobackpacker system for a Toyo AX. Usually, I take 90mm, 120mm, 210mm, and 300mm lenses, along with a spot meter, Tewe 4x5 viewfinder, film, loupe, filters, cables releases, Blackjacket dark cloth, Gitzo Series 3 tripod and head. If I'm not going far, I'll add a 4" back extension for the Toyo. It's fairly heaving, but the back pack does a good job putting the weight on my hips.

Andrew
16-Sep-2015, 13:13
Too much AND not enough.
too much is NEVER enough...

newt_on_swings
17-Sep-2015, 02:24
Car trips I have a bad habit or loading up, my setup for those consists of the extra large f64 backpack, with my wista sp, 4 or 5 lenses and lens boards, compendium bellows, polaroid pack film holder, 10 film holders, 2 or 3 packs instant film, silverstri loupe, Polaris spot meter, and 9 or 12 filter pouch, dark cloth, plastic tarp, vanguard actus plus cf tripod, big ol induro 3 way pan tilt head, misc stuff like pec pads and eclipse solution and cable releases, three axis level, large changing bag ( or Harrison film tent). Usually one backup camera a 6x6 zeiss folder or a small fuji point and shoot. I can't really hike with this setup, I have brought it around the city on the train before but mostly it's for car trips.

This summer I've hiked bear mountain in jersey with a slimed down version, with only my wista, 5 film holders, polaroid holder with only 1 pack of film, 2 lenses, loupe, spot meter, and compact point and shoot, and the big 11 or 12 lb tripod and head combo.

In the past I have also hiked with two fuji 6x9 cameras, spot meter, filters and a ton of film. Other hikes two olympus om4t cameras with usually a 28mmf2 and 50mm1.4 and a 85mm f2 in the bag. Other times two 35mm rangefinders.

Most recently I've gone minimal and have been using my 35mm point and shoot fuji dl mini zoom on the last two hikes. It's been pretty fun to use.

I've beer pretty much all over the place with my setups, I just go for what I feel like, depending on how long and far the trip and how much of a beating my cameras might take.

Kevin Harding
17-Sep-2015, 07:48
I have two field kits - one LF (a Wista Rittreck View) and one MF (Mamiya RB67). Both fit into a Lowepro Transit 350AW backpack.

In my LF, I have:
- camera
- 90mm lens, 150mm lens, 210mm lens (each in separate small padded pouches)
- various filters, meter, and cable releases
- Separately I carry a shoulder pouch of 10x film holders and a tripod

In my MF, I have:
- RB67 and WLF
- 127mm lens and 50mm lens (plus sometimes 1 other)
- 3x film backs
- Meters
- Filters
- Film
- Tripod

Without the tripod, I had to recently weigh the MF pack for travelling on a small airplane, and it came in at 11kg (25lbs).

DrTang
17-Sep-2015, 08:14
don't hike..but my urbane assault kit consists of a golf bag cart with a tripod bolted to it.. a 5x7 tailboard camera, a milk crate carrying holders and extra battery for the Q-flash that is bolted to the contraption on a side rigger with small softbox

I just wheel it up to someone and measure off the preset distance and - bingo.. instant 5x7 environmental portrait/document

Kirk Gittings
17-Sep-2015, 08:19
RPT Photobackpacker, 5 lenses, Phillips 4x5, Pentax Dig Spot light meter, 6 regular film holders, many small dodads I need etc. 25 lbs. plus tripod extra.

bobwysiwyg
17-Sep-2015, 11:52
RPT Photobackpacker, 5 lenses, Phillips 4x5, Pentax Dig Spot light meter, 6 regular film holders, many small dodads I need etc. 25 lbs. plus tripod extra.

Ditto, but I have only four lenses, and my Berlach tripod I believe is an additional 7 lbs?

A_Tabor
17-Sep-2015, 12:44
I'm still working on putting together a field kit, but I'm pretty sure that I'm going to end up rebuilding a rig myself and some coworkers put together a few years ago for field research. They were basically half a stretcher bolted to the front end of a cheap bicycle that was hacked down. Re-ran the brake to the handle on the stretcher, and then tore apart old backpacks for their straps, frame, and belts.

Gear was balanced over the wheel as best as possible, but preference being slightly 'forward' so that it didn't want to flip up backwards, and strapping got adjusted so that when the carrier hooked themselves in most of the weight was taken on their hips to straps going to the long stretcher handles, and you would adjust the shoulder straps for comfort throughout the day.

Carts had the bike handles left on for the extra heavy ones, so that two or three people could then manhandle the rigs over exceedingly rough spots. Carrying 500lbs of gear and equipment down hiking and game trails all day long honestly felt more like a 60 to 90lb pack. Little more if going up hill, and a fair bit less if we were going down hill. Things got a little awkward at times in some of the tighter parts of trails, and river crossings needed a tad more logistical thinking, but we were also carrying five to ten times the kit that one could consider as a remotely sane load in a backpack, so I figure it all evened out in the end.

When I go to rebuild one I think I will probably spend a little extra and go with dual disk brakes even if I'm planning to carry less weight. We did have issues with the cheap rim brakes on the heavier units when one failed on a guy while he was going down a long hill, and it would probably be a lot more comfortable being able to apply the brake with both hands rather than squeezing only on one side. Would also want it with some kind of quick release on the wheel, and design it to 'pack-flat' when not in use.

I can also kind of think of some design modifications to it that might allow the frame to be broken down in the field and converted into a nice cot like setup. (Back in high school I considered even a full sleeping bag kind of an optional camping luxury, but with my 30s around the corner and a decade of a desk job without getting around to any camping, I'm starting to reconsider the idea of sleeping on the ground with just a basic bedroll.)

Emrehan Zeybekoglu
17-Sep-2015, 13:42
I carry a Wisner 4x5, a Ries tripod, 2-3 lenses and this and that in the range of 2-15 kg. Good exercise.

Drew Bedo
17-Sep-2015, 13:42
A-Tabor:
Your stretcher-unicycle/wheelbarrow sounds like it would work.

I have been fooling around with a cut down golf bag pull cart. Don't have it right just yet though.

A_Tabor
17-Sep-2015, 15:28
I'm trying to find a photo of one of the gear carts, but sadly can't seem to find any from those trips that show the cart itself. I think I might toss together something in sketchup and start a new thread in the DIY section for people to share ideas.

I had been considering picking up something like a golf bag cart for moving light stands around easier, so thank you for reminding me about that seeing as season end clearance sales are going to be on for the next while.

Fr. Mark
17-Sep-2015, 18:13
I used to go back packing in Scouts and always carried too much i.e. 70 pounds of pack when I was 180 pounds. Said backpack would work well for a 8x10 field camera if I still had the backpack and could acquire the camera.

I borrowed a backpack at church camp a couple summers ago and took out a Buschpressman D, 5 holders, a tripod, a water bottle, iPhone for meter, it wasn't too bad. The mosquitos were worse than the weight of the pack. It is not a light tripod, maybe 15 pounds?

The Sinar P is a nutty thing to "hike" with. Last I had it out of the house/yard/evenly slightly far from the car, was to go to an arts festival more/less in the neighborhood. I had to park 300 yards from the site I wanted photos. My arms definitely felt longer once I got there. I had the sinar p, in 5x7 mode, it's travel case, w/5 holders, 3 or 4 db lenses all f5.6 so the 300mm adds ?3 pounds...the Sinar in that mode is 25 pounds plus the case and various accessories. The foba alphae is not a light weight either. I'd not be surprised if I dragged 65 pounds to the festival. The Olympus XA also got some good shots that day and weighs less than the front elements on the 300mm lens, I think.

I am working adapting the sinar shutter and lenses to the home built 8x10 behemoth camera and am half afraid of finishing: I think once I see what an 8x10 negative looks like with a modern Schneider 300mm lens (as opposed to the projector lens of 1800's design) I may be sunk. I think it leads directly to building a field camera I can hike with and then it is not hard to imagine going to 11x14 and 14x17 and going back and getting the 8x10 gear for the Sinar system for at home... 5x7 contact prints are cool, I've got two on the bulletin board in my office, but I think the real magic starts at whole plate...not sure at what size magic turns into madness. I'd like to know what some of ULFers kits weigh in at. Time to go for a jog so I will have the fitness to carry all this someday!

Kirk Gittings
17-Sep-2015, 21:32
I'm trying to find a photo of one of the gear carts, but sadly can't seem to find any from those trips that show the cart itself. I think I might toss together something in sketchup and start a new thread in the DIY section for people to share ideas.

I had been considering picking up something like a golf bag cart for moving light stands around easier, so thank you for reminding me about that seeing as season end clearance sales are going to be on for the next while.

mine. 139772

Drew Bedo
18-Sep-2015, 06:12
Thanks Kirk:

Seenma like we have gone down this path before http://www.largeformatphotography.info/forum/showthread.php?104786-meet-my-LFPMD&highlight=Cart

Kirk Gittings
18-Sep-2015, 06:57
Thanks Kirk:

Seenma like we have gone down this path before http://www.largeformatphotography.info/forum/showthread.php?104786-meet-my-LFPMD&highlight=Cart

What I like about mine is the slack angle that my PBP bag sits which allows me to work right out of the cart.

Jody_S
18-Sep-2015, 07:04
My 8x10 kit is about 30-35 pounds depending on the lens(es) I choose to bring.

I find that more than I can easily manage, due to my severe arthritis. It can take a couple of days for me to recover after a hike of more than 1 mile or so.

ImSoNegative
18-Sep-2015, 07:06
Here lately, I have been toting around my C1 (in its own calumet case) in one hand, a majestic tripod in the other and a f64 backpack with 5 lenses, 5 holders, meter etc. It is the green monster so that helps a bit. Anyway I don't go very far. : )

Jim Fitzgerald
18-Sep-2015, 07:29
My four systems 8 x 10, 11 x 14, 8 x 20 and 14 x 17 each with their own backpacks weight anywhere from 35 lbs to 55 lbs depending on how many lenses I carry. Sometimes my 8 x 10 pack gets real heavy. The 14 x 17 is just plain heavy all of the time. Generally I carry one holder and one lens with that system if I have it on my back. My double wide stroller will see a lot more action now. Getting older sucks but at least I can carry two systems in it!

Drew Bedo
18-Sep-2015, 08:04
What I like about mine is the slack angle that my PBP bag sits which allows me to work right out of the cart.

Oh how rught you are . . .anything ro reduce deep squatting or stooping!

I have long thought about how to get legs on a Pelican hard case or sleeves to hold PVC legs on a pack or bag.

Bill_1856
18-Sep-2015, 08:26
It's the Blankedy-blank tripod which is the killer.

Jody_S
18-Sep-2015, 08:43
It's the Blankedy-blank tripod which is the killer.

I've stuck with a Manfrotto for 25 years now because of the shoulder strap. Said strap has broken a couple of times and I keep repairing it, but I like the length and the way it fastens to the tripod, so I'm sticking with it. I need the longer strap because I use it with a backpack with my 4x5 kit, but I can get it to stay in place off to the side, leaving me both hands free while hiking. Still a PITA though because the backpack has to be laid out on something level to get access to everything, kinda difficult when you're in a swamp.

Gary Tarbert
18-Sep-2015, 09:02
My 8x10 kit is about 30-35 pounds depending on the lens(es) I choose to bring.

I find that more than I can easily manage, due to my severe arthritis. It can take a couple of days for me to recover after a hike of more than 1 mile or so.I still use 5x4 for this reason up to 10 mile /32 Km hikes with 8x10 ouch!! The camera weight is not the issue for me , As camera weights can vary by only a couple of kilos,It is the holders which weigh four times as much roughly! So packing for 20 shots on 4x5 will look vastly different to 8x10

Kirk Gittings
18-Sep-2015, 11:01
just picked up this puppy for my field kit-been wanting one for ages. It measures 2"x2.25"x3/4":
https://scontent-lax3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xat1/v/t1.0-9/12036394_10207774765477074_3876062682535204067_n.jpg?oh=55b8f950c17a4ca6e0096561414fce21&oe=56A05B39

plaubel
18-Sep-2015, 14:26
Weight often avoided pictures to me, because the camera stood at home. Too heavy...
So for everyday, dogwalk and so on, I had to build some small and "fast" lightweight solutions based on this fantastic 9x12 Plattenkameras.
Less than 1400 grams, only 3 cm wider than original, here is my 9x12 solution with slightly chopped Plaubel Universal 9x12cm back and 135mm lens:
I am still working on Scheimpflug possibilities, lens-changing system and a 4x5" solution, based on another 9x12 camera with my 75mm Grandagon ( the wooden back is already finished).

A small tripod and a tiny darkcloth are good enough here.
The filmholders are metal ones and take only one sheet each, but 2 or three holders are enough for a small walkaround. Let's say, another 750grams.

The small necessaries I carry in a photo vest, this is a great solution, everything is in place, or in hand, immediately..

The other thing is my russian 13x18cm wooden camera, which I combined with interchangeable Plaubel Profia backs, 4x5" and 5x7".
My old Xenar f4,5/210mm, and the Imagon 200 or a Nikkor 150mm seem to be all, what I need there, plus a heavier tripod.

Camera, filmholders, filters plus holder, compendium, darkcloth and lenses live in a not so big backpack.
I guess, less than 10 Kg without tripod...

The 30x40cm system isn't ready for outside, but I really don't want to carry it on my shoulders.
Carrying by car then, weight isn't important to me.