PDA

View Full Version : Who is making/distributiing B&W sheet film?

John Kasaian
15-Sep-2015, 07:38
Both panchro and ortho----basically anything you can load into a film holder?

In view of Ilford's recent sale I thought it might be interesting to make a list, so---

Kodak
Ilford
Fuji
Agfa (CSX premium x-ray film)
Foma
Arista (Freestyle's Foma as well as an ortho from---from?)
Carestream/Kodak(x-ray film)
Sony (ZZ Medical x-ray film)
Adox

Add whatever I've missed, OK?
What is the status of Shanghai & Era films? Are they still being manufactured in sheet formats?
How about in Russia?

With now (IMHO) five major players in the panchro sheet film market (Ilford, Adox, Foma, Fuji & Kodak) it seems to me that film is still a viable, healthy, competitive industry, arguably with Ilford in the front of the pack. In that kind of position it would seem unlikely that Ilford's new masters would cede that position barring some unforeseen economic calamity.

Liquid Artist
15-Sep-2015, 07:56
Ilford was recently Sold? I was never aware of that.
I hope they keep up their service, and possibly bring back some old products.

If Russia makes sheet film I'd like to try some.

LabRat
15-Sep-2015, 08:27
A large focus of Ilford's product line has been/is film + paper B/W products... The new owners had to see that that is one of their primary streams of commerce... But they have to be betting that the film/paper market will grow...

But a couple of things concern me about the market...

I think with many people re-discovering "analog" (ooohhh, I don't like that term!!!), the other services needed such as labs, new gear, materials, information, etc are rapidly vanishing, and let's face it, the masses have a short attention span and might be "hardcore" in their choices, but how much film & materials will they really get around to shooting + processing???

Like the "Lomography" thing... Is it a fad (for the masses) or will it be a long term movement??? (I think that the plastic cameras have saved 120 format from extinction, but for how long???) And how many mfgs would bring back fine mechanical cameras??? And the masses generally want immediate gratification, and it's on their phones ready to share... (Ilford in danger!?!!! What about that "Impossible" project!?!!! Talk about a house of cards!?!! New cameras, anyone???) And with much of the new "retro" gear being close to junk these days, will people stick with it and produce for the long haul??? (Like trying to learn to play music on a toy guitar/won't get too far...)

Sorry for the rant...

Steve K

John Kasaian
15-Sep-2015, 08:40
Ilford was recently Sold? I was never aware of that.
I hope they keep up their service, and possibly bring back some old products.

If Russia makes sheet film I'd like to try some.
http://www.largeformatphotography.info/forum/showthread.php?125219-Harman-Technology-Purchased&p=1275413#post1275413

Kirk Gittings
15-Sep-2015, 08:42
Mark Anslow, CEO of Pemberstone Ventures, a UK-based investment company, commented: “We are very excited by the potential of the analogue photography movement and believe that Harman is uniquely placed to drive the resurgent film market into the future”.

mihag
15-Sep-2015, 08:46
- Bergger Panchro
- Rollei RPX

Jerry Bodine
15-Sep-2015, 08:48
John, don't forget the vc papers and graded papers (if preferred). Film w/o paper is like a gun w/o bullets unless one is into scanning negs & printing digitally (not me). I doubt digital papers are going to go bye-bye.

IanG
15-Sep-2015, 08:59
John, don't forget the vc papers and graded papers (if preferred). Film w/o paper is like a gun w/o bullets unless one is into scanning negs & printing digitally (not me).

And that's why it's so difficult to find Kodak B&W films in many countries, the distributors concentrated on the minilab market and consumer C41 films.

Ian

John Kasaian
15-Sep-2015, 09:37
- Bergger Panchro
- Rollei RPX
Thanks!

jp
15-Sep-2015, 11:09
John, don't forget the vc papers and graded papers (if preferred). Film w/o paper is like a gun w/o bullets unless one is into scanning negs & printing digitally (not me). I doubt digital papers are going to go bye-bye.

Alt process, Baby! It's like the people who cast their own bullets. It's not as convenient, but it's a whole other realm of output medium.

Tim Meisburger
15-Sep-2015, 12:52
Yes, Shanghai is still available in 4x5, 5x7 and 8x10, but 5x7 and 8x10 are hard to find outside China. The film is relatively cheap if you can get it in China, but buying it from outside the country it is comparable in price to other economy films. I like it, but others have had variable experience.

bob carnie
15-Sep-2015, 13:30
Who makes the Rollei and Bergger Panchro film product line?? and where is it made??

- Bergger Panchro
- Rollei RPX

mihag
15-Sep-2015, 14:34
Who makes the Rollei and Bergger Panchro film product line?? and where is it made??

Bergger is Made in Germany, probably by InovisCoat, Harman coats Rollei.

Michael E
15-Sep-2015, 15:42
Banse & Grohmann in Wernigerode/Germany offers b/w sheet film and graded as well as v/c papers under the WEPHOTA label. The company started as a management buyout of a part of the east german ORWO Kombinat. They used to make their own film and paper (on a large scale). At least part of their product portfolio is not produced in house any more (don't know to which extent), but they offer film in a wide variety of sizes and special products like single weight photo paper coated on both sides.

John Kasaian
15-Sep-2015, 16:04
Banse & Grohmann in Wernigerode/Germany offers b/w sheet film and graded as well as v/c papers under the WEPHOTA label. The company started as a management buyout of a part of the east german ORWO Kombinat. They used to make their own film and paper (on a large scale). At least part of their product portfolio is not produced in house any more (don't know to which extent), but they offer film in a wide variety of sizes and special products like single weight photo paper coated on both sides.
Thanks Michael!

John Kasaian
15-Sep-2015, 16:04
Yes, Shanghai is still available in 4x5, 5x7 and 8x10, but 5x7 and 8x10 are hard to find outside China. The film is relatively cheap if you can get it in China, but buying it from outside the country it is comparable in price to other economy films. I like it, but others have had variable experience.
Good to know, Tim.

Max Hao
15-Sep-2015, 21:45

Yes, Shanghai in 4x5, 5x7 and 8x10 is still available on China version of eBay. They recently paused new batches but not expected to stop altogether. It is interesting to hear that Shanghai is hard to get outside the country, what we heard was that Shanghai GP3 is prodominantly exporting, and they depend on X-Ray to the company surviving. I ordered a few boxes of 11x14 early this year on a group purchase, but only got less than two boxes. The story was that they had too much defects when cutting.

tih
15-Sep-2015, 23:08
There might be some additional information here: http://www.theonlinedarkroom.com/2015/09/finalised-film-table.html

koraks
16-Sep-2015, 01:38
You could add Lomig (http://lomig.fr/about/index-en.html) to the list. They make a unique/niche B&W film using washi paper as a base instead of acetate.

John Kasaian
16-Sep-2015, 11:07
You could add Lomig (http://lomig.fr/about/index-en.html) to the list. They make a unique/niche B&W film using washi paper as a base instead of acetate.
Interesting---thanks!

Willie
18-Sep-2015, 06:06
I think with many people re-discovering "analog" (ooohhh, I don't like that term!!!),

Why not just write "FILM".

As an Uncle keeps telling me - You have never in your life gone into a store and asked for a box of Analog".

LabRat
18-Sep-2015, 07:07
Their "buzzword", not mine...

Steve K

I think with many people re-discovering "analog" (ooohhh, I don't like that term!!!),

Why not just write "FILM".

As an Uncle keeps telling me - You have never in your life gone into a store and asked for a box of Analog".

blue4130
10-Oct-2015, 20:11
Yes, Shanghai in 4x5, 5x7 and 8x10 is still available on China version of eBay. They recently paused new batches but not expected to stop altogether. It is interesting to hear that Shanghai is hard to get outside the country, what we heard was that Shanghai GP3 is prodominantly exporting, and they depend on X-Ray to the company surviving. I ordered a few boxes of 11x14 early this year on a group purchase, but only got less than two boxes. The story was that they had too much defects when cutting.

Any word on when they will start making new film? On taobao it is almost all gone in 4x5. Before there were hundreds of listings, but this past week I went to order more and there are only 4 listings?!?!?! My Chinese is crap so I can't ask the sellers directly.

analoguey
10-Oct-2015, 20:23
Been discussing this on the 120 gp3 thread. The factory is moved/moving and yet to restart from what I hear from the eBay sellers.
Not much clarity on when they'll restart prodn, sadly.

blue4130
10-Oct-2015, 23:20
Been discussing this on the 120 gp3 thread. The factory is moved/moving and yet to restart from what I hear from the eBay sellers.
Not much clarity on when they'll restart prodn, sadly.

I've been in China for about six years now and if there is one thing that I have learned, when a company says that they are moving/renovating, they rarely ever open again.

Crap, that sucks, my film cost for 4x5 has effectively tripled unless I switch to x-ray film. it might be the time to try it out...

welly
10-Oct-2015, 23:47
Bergger is Made in Germany, probably by InovisCoat, Harman coats Rollei.

Bergger is French :) Although perhaps the film is actually made in Germany, but the company is French.

rwhb1
11-Oct-2015, 23:44
What a great thread! Keep it up!

No response on Russia I see, there must be someone there surely?

We also have the Ferrania project in Italy see http://www.kickstarter.com/login?then=%2Fmessages%2F8181815%3Fref%3Demail

Russ

analoguey
16-Oct-2015, 12:24
I've been in China for about six years now and if there is one thing that I have learned, when a company says that they are moving/renovating, they rarely ever open again.

Crap, that sucks, my film cost for 4x5 has effectively tripled unless I switch to x-ray film. it might be the time to try it out...
[emoji20]
That sucks! No Shanghai, then? Ugh! I really like it in 120!!