PDA

View Full Version : Help with new Tripod

Shootar401
14-Sep-2015, 16:46
For the past year I've been using a Gitzo Series 1 mountaineer with my Master Technika :eek: I think it's time I retire it and get a proper LF tripod. I've been thinking of the Gitzo Series 3 or Series 4 Systematic tripod. I never used the center column extension so I won't miss it and the almost ground level spread is a big plus.

Would the series 4 be over kill for a 4x5? Should I go with a series 3 or just spend the extra $150 and go all the way for a Series 5?

If it maters I'm using a Manfrotto 410 geared head.

Ari
14-Sep-2015, 17:00
Tripod overkill is ok, as long as carrying the larger tripod isn't too much harder.
And if you ever get heavier equipment, or move up in format, you'll be covered.

Bill_1856
14-Sep-2015, 18:48
Since you don't use the center column, your Series 1 should do the trick just splendidly! (If it ain't broke don't fix it.)

Luis-F-S
14-Sep-2015, 19:57
Why don't you go to one of the great NYC camera stores and try them out? L

Drew Bedo
14-Sep-2015, 20:04
Why don't you go to one of the great NYC camera stores and try them out? L

+1^ Nothing beats a test drive.

Shootar401
14-Sep-2015, 20:10
I spend a good hour at B&H going over the tripod all brands and settled on the gitzo systematic series 4 traveller. Then I got around to looking at the series 3 and series 5. I couldn't decide and wanted some opinions.

Jeff Keller
14-Sep-2015, 20:12
I use a series 3 (3540LS) for almost everything. Without the center column it only weighs 3.8 lbs. but is plenty tall enough for me. If you can find a series 3 which matches the height you want, I would think it would be fine. If you get in a heavy wind you will need to weigh the tripod down.

I switched from a series 1 because it wasn't stable enough for an SLR with a long telephoto in the wind. The Gitzos without the center column save a surprising amount of weight ... less metal.

I also have a series 5 ten foot giant which I bought used. It has a center column, foam leg protectors, and is the heaviest CF tripod I've ever seen. It is definitely sturdier than the series 3 but the only time I use it is when I need the height.

Check the heights and weights of what is available. They may give you a more compelling reason than how stiff the tripod is.

Good luck, jeff

mihag
15-Sep-2015, 00:49
I went with Manfrotto for my Linhof Kardan and have never regretted it.

http://www.manfrotto.com/photo-supports-tripods-057-series

Shootar401
15-Sep-2015, 01:51
I went with Manfrotto for my Linhof Kardan and have never regretted it.

http://www.manfrotto.com/photo-supports-tripods-057-series

I used to really like Bogen (now manfrotto) had about 3-4 Tripods form them over the years. But recently Manfrotto had become too mainstream, being sold at Best Buy and Costco of all places. Even though I didn't want to sell them I had to get rid of them. I do like their heads though and have two 410 geared heads and those will probably be replaced by a Arca-Swiss C1

mihag
15-Sep-2015, 02:04
I see no problem in being a maninstream company, they are after all a worldwide leading brand and their quality is impeccable. The 057 series is made of carbon fibres and megnesium joints. It really feels like a quality piece of equipment.

cowanw
15-Sep-2015, 02:38
I have a series 5 and while it is great in the studio and for car trips out, it is too much tripod for 4x5, in my opinion.

macolive
15-Sep-2015, 03:18
I use a Gitzo 3532 S and I'm just starting to get used to carrying it. The tripod itself is light...It's the head that makes it heavy...nonetheless i'm really happy with it.

I do want to get a levelling head. I was going to get the systematic levelling base but they didn't have stock in Hong Kong. Just as well, as I read some bad reviews about it after.

Greg Miller
15-Sep-2015, 04:45
Perhaps look at the Really Right Stuff tripods. I switched from Gitzo to RRS a few years ago and am very happy. I was pretty unhappy with Gitzo with their problems with the mounting plate falling out of the 3 series tripods several years ago and they never acknowledged it. I was very lucky once when a very expensive camera/lens combo completely fell to the ground and magically landed in a patch of sand barely large enough to contain them (and missed the surrounding boulders).

biedron
15-Sep-2015, 04:53
I have a series 5 and while it is great in the studio and for car trips out, it is too much tripod for 4x5, in my opinion.

I agree with this. I have Gitzo 3 and 5 series tripods - I bought the 5 when I got an 8x10. But even with the 8x10 on the 3 series, the weakest link is not the tripod, it is the head.

Bob