PDA

View Full Version : Cameras that use Circular Wooden Lens Boards

Steve Salmons
12-Sep-2015, 08:05
This is a bit of a long shot. I have recently bought an incomplete mahogany half plate camera as a winter restoration/rebuild project and I would like if possible to track down the original maker. The best clue is that is uses circular lens boards rather than the more common square or rectangular type. These seem to be comparatively rare and I hope may point to just a few specific makers. There is also a cut out on the front standard where an original nameplate once once lived. I think this camera is earlier rather than later as it employs dovetail rather than comb joints. See pictures.

Tin Can
12-Sep-2015, 17:20
Could it also be a quick release flange mount?

I realize there is one round board being used...

Steve Salmons
13-Sep-2015, 01:24
Could it also be a quick release flange mount?

I realize there is one round board being used...

The flange is screwed onto the circular board in the same way it would be attached to the more usual square lensboard.
It drops into the front standard and is secured by the 3 retainers seen in the photos.
The part of the front standard into which it drops is attached to the bellows at the rear and allows a small degree of rise and fall.
It is a nice system and easy to use and one advantage is that lenses stored on their own round lens boards don't take up quite so much room.
Perhaps it was less popular because the circular boards would be more fragile and harder to make than the square variety.

IanG
13-Sep-2015, 02:12
There's a few cameras that used circular lens boards, Lizars in Glasgow, I seem to remember a Lancaster as well as others. I'm about to sell some odd spare lens boards including one that might fit your camera if you want a spare.

Your camera would have had a metal bar across the top of the front standard. fixed on one side but slotted on the other, this pulls the two sides of the front standard to hold the movable bit that holds the lens board in position allowing rise and fall. This also indicates the camera is towards the bottom of a range.

Later today I'm photographic some cameras I've just restored including one for someone in London with the bit I described above if you email me I'll send you some photos.

Identifying British field cameras is quite difficult as many aren't illustrated or even included in adverts (of the era they were made), name plates are often the Retailer rather than the manufacturer, cameras were available in kit form for home assembly, or for retailers to refinish.

Ian

Steve Salmons
13-Sep-2015, 02:40
Thanks Ian, I will drop an email for pics. It's always useful to have a reference point.
I got a few incomplete and broken plate holders with the camera and these will provide me with a good source of contemporary materials for the creation of additional lens boards and small brass screws etc. The major challenge will of course be the bellows but I am looking at this as a long term project to enjoy over the winter months.

Liquid Artist
13-Sep-2015, 03:12
Perhaps it was less popular because the circular boards would be more fragile and harder to make than the square variety.
I think that it would be easier to make, just get the right sized hole saw and a sturdy drill press.
If there is a step on the inside you may need another holesaw for that. Setting the depth gauge and use the same hole.
Although you may find the right router bit for this if you look.

That way you also have a perfect guide hole when you drill for the lens

I don't actually know if a round lens board would be stronger than a square, and I really don't wish to test mine.

Steven Tribe
13-Sep-2015, 09:20
I have a Lizar (15x12") and a no name (full plate) with round lens boards. Ian didn't mention Billcliff who I think was the maker of most round lens board cameras who were supplied for others to add their name - or as no-name cameras. The two cameras I have are absolutely identical in woodwork and I am convinced that they came out of Manchester (Billcliff).

The original lens boards I have are made up of the same tongue and grove system of rectangular boards. They seem less stable, although the brass flange appears to help! I have made extra round boards using approximately 5 ply so the outer thin section is always 2 ply.

Dustin McAmera
13-Sep-2015, 11:17
Here's a Lizars at Early Photography: http://www.earlyphotography.co.uk/site/entry_C645.html (http://www.earlyphotography.co.uk/site/entry_C645.html)

Some of the Sandersons under the same 'Stand' heading have a rather different round board.

I also found Bulmer's Patent Reliable at Wood and Brass: http://www.woodandbrass.co.uk/detail.php?cat_num=0041; worth looking to see what else is there.

IanG
13-Sep-2015, 12:49
I have a Lizar (15x12") and a no name (full plate) with round lens boards. Ian didn't mention Billcliff who I think was the maker of most round lens board cameras who were supplied for others to add their name - or as no-name cameras. The two cameras I have are absolutely identical in woodwork and I am convinced that they came out of Manchester (Billcliff).

The original lens boards I have are made up of the same tongue and grove system of rectangular boards. They seem less stable, although the brass flange appears to help! I have made extra round boards using approximately 5 ply so the outer thin section is always 2 ply.

My gut feeling is Vevers in Leeds probably not made by the company itself but from parts they supplied. They manufactured brass work and wooden parts which they also sold to other local companies and advertised their catalogue in the BJP. They also made brass-work to special order. This is probably why Bulmers, and the Taylor Drug company's cameras look similar to Vevers and mode;s using similar circular lens boards.

There's another coincidence one Vevers model has the rounded corners on the front standard although on the inner edge not the outer. This front standard doesn't have the look/feel of Billcliff and their subcontract work is usually for much larger companies.

Ian

Steven Tribe
13-Sep-2015, 12:59
Now here we have a problem! The Lizars camera above is exactly the same as one I have (the full plate version) which doesn't have any maker's label or stamp. I also think it is likely that the Bulmer's patent is another version of a Billcliff camera, just like the "Lizars" camera.

The smoking gun would be a trade brochure which Billcliff must have sent out to UK retailers that showed the various models/combinations and extras which were available from Manchester. There is no way that Bulmers of Bilston could have actually made these cameras.

Steve Salmons
14-Sep-2015, 12:49
The site at http://www.woodandbrass.co.uk/ is fascinating and a very good resource. I will enjoy working my way through it .
I had already noticed that many of the cameras had similar fittings and assumed that there must have been a few suppliers from whom different makers sourced their fittings. A pity they aren't still producing spare parts.