PDA

View Full Version : Where to repair Ilex Shutter?

Yuri Saniko
14-Feb-2005, 10:40
I have Wide Field Paragon 65mm f8 lens in Ilex#1 shutter (white one).

Shutter works well only at B and T, it fires same speed at all other settings. Where can i get this shutter fixed (in US), and how much would it cost?

Ralph Barker
14-Feb-2005, 11:31
I'd suggest contacting the folks at www.skgrimes.com to get a quote. Although they may need to actually see the shutter to determine a final price, they may be able to give you a price range for the repair. I've not used them for shutter repair myself, but they have a good reputation.

John Kasaian
14-Feb-2005, 11:34
Yuri,
Your shutter might respond to a cla, which usually go for anywhere between $60-80. As for recommendations, what part of the country are you located? There are repair shops scattered across the country, but it is no doubt safer to deal with a shop that has been recommended by a satisfied customer. Also, some shops will refuse to service certain lenses because they don't have the parts available for some of the older ones.

Good LUck!

Steve Feldman
14-Feb-2005, 14:14
Try Carol at e-mail

flutotscamera@earthlink.net

In Whittier, CA

Very good, very reasonable $$, very nice people.

~:o)

Yuri Saniko
14-Feb-2005, 15:26
Thanks! I'm in New York.

Juergen Sattler
14-Feb-2005, 17:10
Yuri,

I agree with Steve - send your shutter (without the lens) to Carol Miller of Flutot's camera. She has repaired many shutters for me and she is great to deal with - every week you get an email from her with an update on the progress of your shutter. A CLA will cost you only $45 plus shipping. There is no better value out there.

Juergen

Robert McClure
15-Feb-2005, 07:48
Yuri,
I'd like to chime in with Steve and Juergen about Carol Miller at Flutot's. Though I've only had one shutter fixed by her (and ancient Ilex #5), I can say that she was wonderful. Maybe this is SOP for shutter repair, but she fixed (CLA'd) immediately, then let sit on the shelf for a few days before re-checking to be sure it had not reverted to its old habits. Though it was not possible to adjust it perfectly, I do know exactly what speeds I've now got b/c of the Shutter Speed Report she included. She gave me a number of email updates, explained the limitations in adjusting my ancient contraption. I shipped Priority Mail and she did the same on return. No problems. Though I'm in Georgia, the West Coast is not a problem for me.

Robert McClure

Jon Wilson
15-Feb-2005, 17:32
I too strongly recommend Carol Miller at Flutot's. She has repaired and/or cleaned several of my shutters. If it is not listed above, her email address is: flutoscamera@earthlink.net