PDA

View Full Version : New LF camera: what about a Plaubel Peco Profia PL1?

fer_enczi
5-Sep-2015, 08:06
Hello everybody,

I would like to move from the MF (Rolleiflex, RZ67) to the LF.

A monorail camera for the studio since I am addicted to still life photos.

I was thinking about the superb and mostly uncommon Plaubel Peco Profia PL1 (aka Plaubel Peco Profia 1), the one with the L-shaped standard supports, very similar to the Horseman L45; but I was able to get just a few scraps of information about this beauty.

Do you know anything about this system?

Thank you all!

John Kasaian
5-Sep-2015, 08:41
Hello everybody,

I would like to move from the MF (Rolleiflex, RZ67) to the LF.

A monorail camera for the studio since I am addicted to still life photos.

I was thinking about the superb and mostly uncommon Plaubel Peco Profia PL1 (aka Plaubel Peco Profia 1), the one with the L-shaped standard supports, very similar to the Horseman L45; but I was able to get just a few scraps of information about this beauty.

Do you know anything about this system?

Thank you all!
Welcome aboard!

fer_enczi
5-Sep-2015, 08:58
Thank you, John!

Teodor Oprean
5-Sep-2015, 21:38
The camera you are thinking of is a very recent model in the Plaubel Peco Profia series of monorail view cameras. It's probably the most recent, not much more than ten years old. Most models in the series use U-shaped standards. Apart from this one detail, everything else is the same, which means you can use the same lens boards, bellows, compendium hood, extension rails and ground glass backs as with the U-shaped Peco Profia models.

One detail worth knowing about: When you buy Plaubel lens boards or reducing frames second hand, make sure that they are meant for the Peco Profia series and not for the earlier Peco Universal / Peco Supra series. Plaubel changed the dimensions of the lensboards slightly when they transitioned from the Peco Universal / Peco Supra series to the Peco Profia series.

Here's how you can tell them apart:

The lens boards for the Peco Universal / Peco Supra cameras are usually painted grey on the front and black on the rear. They are very nearly flat.

The lens boards for the Peco Profia cameras come in two types:
- The early style has green paint on the front and black paint on the rear.
- The more recent style is painted black on both sides.
Both of these have elaborate, relief shapes on the rear surface.

Teodor

Teodor Oprean
5-Sep-2015, 22:07
This web page is very informative about Plaubel cameras:

http://www.galerie-photo.com/chambres-photo-plaubel.html

Teodor

fer_enczi
6-Sep-2015, 06:15
Thanks Teodor! I've already read that page, but it has just a few words about the camera...

Teodor Oprean
6-Sep-2015, 20:52
The official manufacturer's website lists every part number together with current pricing in this PDF:

http://plaubel.com/download/Plaubel.pdf

The Peco Profia PL1 is a current production camera. You can buy any accessory you need direct from the factory.

nm39131
23-Oct-2015, 11:41
I'm interested in that model too, but one consideration I have is the want for a lens board adapter (Plaubel to Linhof Technika). Looks like I have to have this custom made. Otherwise I'm very tempted.

Teodor Oprean
23-Oct-2015, 19:23
Plaubel manufactures and sells such an adapter. It's listed in their catalogue.

The price is in euros, excluding sales tax.

"110940 | LPS 7/2 | Adapter für Linhof Technika Platte 99mm x 96 mm an PECO profia | 175,00"

nm39131
23-Oct-2015, 22:03
Hi Teodor, that's great news and thanks for the information.